ANNOUNCEMENT January Update - Patch Notes

Sorry for the triple. Merge please come back
Am out in the black, and in any system with bodies the game is now stuttering like hell until (seemingly) the bodies are resolved.
Like a library filling for the first time in a cache .... @OldDuck

EDIT no stutter for me, will have to go where no Gully has gone before.

Last edited:
Since I am doing an expedition right now I can only comment on the exploration fixes/issues:
  • I can confirm that the stutter seems to happen only in systems with landable planets (though I have seen Paige's post that the cause has already been identified and will be fixed tomorrow)
  • I have NOT seen the new FSS mechanic of "unlikely / likely / very likely" for signals at all. Instead when a body has geo signals the number shows up immediately now. I would speculate that this is related to the stuttering issue. Presumably some calculations are done at the moment as soon I enter a system and by the time I enter FSS the results are available. Not a complaint from my side, just an observation.
  • The signal information in the top right info field of the FSS are now shown with a line break, e.g. "Geological 'line break' (9). I assume the same string is used in the system map since it shows the same line break and the Nav panel which causes the number to not show anymore there. Because as soon as you select the entry in the Nav panel you see the same string with the line break in the description field.
  • The summation of the belts works well, I really love that.
That's it for now, I might edit this if I find anything else.
I saw "likely" and "very likely" several times. Other bodies showed the signals immediately.

I can't replicate it. AMD RX580 2g
went to 10 systems with econo, landables gas giants binaries no b-bb-b--bb-baby
Stations screens seem faster

Kudos to FD for fixing the bugs first, before introducing the fleet carriers. I think the beta testing was a very positive step to avoid the September Update issues that torqued so many players off. I like the exploration fixes. Actually, I rather like ALL of the fixes. I do not understand the changes to the supply/demand effects on gemstone prices. I guess that means the prices will be a lot more volatile.

Still gonna wait - with another post-patch patch coming tomorrow, might as well.
A few good things in here, the rest... haven't had the problems being fixed, so, not much will change for me.

But... a nice Thank You to all of Frontier for your efforts and dedication.

Now, get back to work, you've got actual content to deliver. ;-)

update on the fixes, still big shutter, frame drops when entering systems , rubber banding ships not completely solved all on ps4
just did a wing mission , killing pirate , pirate showed up twice , so 2 wings of 1 fdl and 3 vultures , first jumped out , second we killed , mission failed , bye bye influence , fix it pls

Last edited:
Agreed.
I read their explanation why it would take so long originally, but never understood the dependency really. Surely the number of sites (the only info shown in the FSS) is an input parameter and thus available before the rendering of the planet. As such it should be possible to show it "immediately". I could understand that some delay was intended as a gameplay mechanic in the sense that scanning a whole planet for signals does take some time and cannot be instantaneous. I think most players would be willing to accept that in terms of role playing. If they simply would have kept the time in the range of 5-10 seconds I believe this never would have been an issue to begin with.
No, I'm pretty sure it is not an input parameter. From the explanations they have given, I think site generation proceeds something like this:

1. Global properties of the body/system set an overall level of volcanic/biological activity.
2. A fractal "activity map" is generated for the body - similar to terrain generation, but the level of the map is the probability of activity.
3. Locations where the activity level goes above some threshold are considered as candidates for sites. The terrain map is consulted to see if a site is allowed to be placed there.
4. Finally a number is returned to the FSS corresponding to the number of such sites that were successfully placed.

If that is a correct description of what happens, there really is no way to know how many sites a body will have, without actually computing those terrain and activity maps.

Confirmed, still big shutter, frame drops when entering systems on pc. Actually only had minor frame drops/rubber banding before this update and now I get it all the time.

Exploration

• It is not 100% guaranteed that there will be a geological/biological site on the planetary body, but does give commanders a much faster indication of probability. This will enable commanders to quickly ascertain if the planet's worth a visit.
  • If the commander wants to have a definitive answer without travelling to the body they can still wait for the scan to complete in FSS. This data is also now shown in the body details on the system map.
  • Thargoid, Guardian or Human sites will show up instantaneously. These results have moved to the stellar body details shown on the right in the zoomed in FSS view.
Thanks this is appreciated but as highlighted in many many posts during the open beta we still need a graphical identification in the system map to see planets with geological and biological sites.
When you discover a system with 3 or 4 gas giants with a lot of assiciated moons it's a real pain to check each body for this information, especially in VR where the system map navigation is slower (you can't directly click on bodies).

Got to factor in tea breaks and lunch. The FD canteen looks quite nice.
And free or almost, I believe.

:)

The January Update was beta tested by the community. How can there be any bugs?
It was a beta. Certainly not all bugs were found.

Are the developers even playing this game? Or is this some kind of April Fool Joke in January?

Jumping to a system with no planets = no stuttering. Jumping to a system with a lots of planets = a lot of stuttering. Since today!
It's the gravitational field ...

😉

Top Bottom