Jaques the Cyborg - a background history, info on current events, and possible future projects?

I've landed at Jaques. (didn't even scrape the shields! :D )

Quite a few NPC ships but they're only hanging around the station, non in system.

I'm going to wander off into the nebula and start scouting landable worlds. I figure that's the first step to finding barnacles. Wish me luck.

Good luck.

Had to take a little break, pc was getting hot chasing both Jaques & Frawd...

Now only chasing Jaques...

Last edited:
I've landed at Jaques. (didn't even scrape the shields! :D )

Quite a few NPC ships but they're only hanging around the station, non in system.

I'm going to wander off into the nebula and start scouting landable worlds. I figure that's the first step to finding barnacles. Wish me luck.

Good luck.

I really hope someone finds those barnacles in the nebula. It would give us all at Jaques something meaningful to do and make the repair of the station much faster. I've flown around the nebula and landed on various planets but without an SRV there's really not much I can do.

I've been wondering this myself.

I'm not going to look on moons as there are just too many of them and it seems a little 'obscure'

Presently I'm just skimming over the surface at full speed at approximately 5km height looking for POIs. Is this the best way to find anything?

Spotted by eye?!?!?!??! :eek:

Ah hell.

Well oddly enough I am in fact skimming a canyon on a HMC. I'll just have to go back and fly lower!

I don't know from what altitude they become visible. Also someone said that the barnacles appear as a blue spot when in glide mode if you're near them.

Needing to be discovered by eye, the barnacles could be even in the same system as Jaques and nobody saw them yet.

Just a suggestion or speculation to the future. I think Jaques Station and Jaques "himself" will play a one of the major roles, when humanity finally meets an alien civilization (not only Thargoids, I suggest). Some kind of mediator or intecessor of some kind... i'm not in the game right now, so can anyone look for the nearest permit locked sectors? If they're not too far away, then who knows...

First landing at Jaques Station after trip to Beagle Point.
[video=youtube;UPFQmLRdeMk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPFQmLRdeMk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

All planetary bodies in system have been discovered by CLY.

Just a suggestion or speculation to the future. I think Jaques Station and Jaques "himself" will play a one of the major roles, when humanity finally meets an alien civilization (not only Thargoids, I suggest). Some kind of mediator or intecessor of some kind... i'm not in the game right now, so can anyone look for the nearest permit locked sectors? If they're not too far away, then who knows...
I'm not sure of the exact distances, but Hyponia to the 'northwest' and Froadik to the 'southwest' should now be within reasonable range of Jaques.

Hyponia is 36,000 LYs from Sol so probably impracticable for inter species trade or conflict with an alien race should one end up being placed there. Having Jaques where he is, and a possible colony there one day, makes it more feasible.

There is the Bleia permit zone too, across the core to the northeast, but again I'm not sure how far at this point.

Like I've mentioned elsewhere - this particular location puts a lot of interesting background content in range of a 'second bubble' should one spring up there. So I think you could be right in speculating Jaques' could have a role to play with a first contact.

Last edited:
Thought id drop by, i have an ongoing current thread on the main forums.

Longer term this has been put together very well by emirus and yeah all of the mentioned goals and objectives are something the devs i hope do support.

I can't believe that we have to randomly search every landable planet within 'range' of Jaques to find any barnacles that may be there.... Is there some kind of hint anywhere that people may have missed?

As to searching, basically we just skim along (canyons?) in the hope of seeing something? Makes it more difficult in the Anaconda, that's for sure. Is there a maximum height that you can see ground based objects at?

I suppose what I'm asking: is there a list of what we should be doing to make this search easier / more successful?

I can't believe that we have to randomly search every landable planet within 'range' of Jaques to find any barnacles that may be there.... Is there some kind of hint anywhere that people may have missed?

As to searching, basically we just skim along (canyons?) in the hope of seeing something? Makes it more difficult in the Anaconda, that's for sure. Is there a maximum height that you can see ground based objects at?

I suppose what I'm asking: is there a list of what we should be doing to make this search easier / more successful?
According to the Barnacles Meta2 sheet, yep. Check here for what kinds of planets they were found on so far, and the observations about their locations.
Also, I couldn't find a source just now, but I remember people saying that you should fly at around 2 km altitude, perhaps below, to better spot them.

Last edited:
I've put together this thread as an attempt to gather information regarding Jaques' story and timeline of events. Since a lot of people probably don't know much about the background, I've attempted to lay out the foundation of where Jaques came from, his role in the game at the moment, and thrown in some speculation on how the story could evolve into something spectacular (one day). There are threads on Jaques already but they're all over the place, on different forums and even on different websites so I've added links to some of the most relevant ones and tried to make it easier for those new to this story or those with a growing interest to get up to speed on it, and possibly help steer it along if FD deem there's enough interest!
Link : Tales from the Frontier
Good work Erimus, that's a lot of research on the backstory, it must have taken you ages. Re Tales from the Frontier, I don't have the book but the short descriptions of the story don't sound like Jaques is in them, is he?

It'll certainly be interesting to see how the story develops, but right now I'm too far away and too time-poor to get involved.

Good work Erimus, that's a lot of research on the backstory, it must have taken you ages. Re Tales from the Frontier, I don't have the book but the short descriptions of the story don't sound like Jaques is in them, is he?

It'll certainly be interesting to see how the story develops, but right now I'm too far away and too time-poor to get involved.
Yes, he's in one. He makes his introduction into the ED universe in the short story titled 'All that Glisters...' :)

There is the Bleia permit zone too, across the core to the northeast, but again I'm not sure how far at this point.

I've just had to skirt around a Permit area when I was trying a direct route from BP.

Marked on the map here:-

y3mqBRgLCjzUX_ZvOt0xNOhs2w1azjLjCANIU9ZvS92_ZyUdo0jo8RRwawwJ-kQqCjOOFESvI1VQKkiDeBZsvxmdJb0-_7CV--GOAwIK2ZcD92ylf2qghdtTbUrJqvBqZA1rmTBLiptEIjnULAvuZABBqMYmS3tHhmTTTrkIk51EYY

Last edited:
While everyone is visiting the Dumbbell Sector feel free to contribute to the Dumbbell Project. The goal is to map it completely to gather data for future colonisation.

NjG59GK.png

This project takes a different approach to colonisation, no time limits, no restrictions on gameplay, simply scan systems while you're in the sector and record any interesting finds. It's a long term project to map every system in the sector.

As you all know, group exploration with a goal makes exploration much more enjoyable. There's an opportunity to synergise the "August Exodus" and "Dumbbell Project" and make progress simultaneously. If you're interested in long term, large scale colonisation then gathering data is the first step!

So far most proposals for colonisation have been to create single isolated, long distance colonies which would have no intereaction with the rest of the galaxy's trade routes and factions.
The Dumbbell Project will demonstrate the feasibility of large scale colonisation! The sector has a 100ly radius. To date the following has been discovered:

13 Earth likes
67 Water CFTs
98 Water Worlds
335 High Metal Content CFTs
7 Rocky CFTs
24 Ammonia Worlds

Apply this same concept to more distant sectors and we'll be able to discover and record good regions to colonise when the mechanics are added in the future! :)

Here's a sample of some of the colonisable systems: https://dumbbellsector.imgur.com/
More details about the project are listed in the link at the top of this post.

Top Bottom