Jaques the Cyborg - a background history, info on current events, and possible future projects?

Jaques the Cyborg - a background history, info on current events, and possible future projects?

I've put together this thread as an attempt to gather information regarding Jaques' story and timeline of events. Since a lot of people probably don't know much about the background, I've attempted to lay out the foundation of where Jaques came from, his role in the game at the moment, and thrown in some speculation on how the story could evolve into something spectacular (one day). There are threads on Jaques already but they're all over the place, on different forums and even on different websites so I've added links to some of the most relevant ones and tried to make it easier for those new to this story or those with a growing interest to get up to speed on it, and possibly help steer it along if FD deem there's enough interest!

Contents :

1.. Background
2.. Current Events
3.. Possible Future Projects?
4.. The August Exodus
5.. Beyond the Exodus

bW2v4th.jpg

1.. Background

Introduction :

"Jaques is a barman, a property owner and a cyborg. Back in the year 3200, Jaques had been running the same bar in the same starport for an inhumanly long period of time. His tale was recounted in the “Stories of Life on the Frontier” booklet included with 1993’s Frontier: Elite II, wherein we learn Jaques owns half the starport and plans on taking it on a voyage across the galaxy just as soon as he buys the rest.

"I guess it will take me about another fifty years to buy up the rest of this place and another ten to fit it out with enough drive engines. I think I'll do what Augustus Brenquith did and fly off into the unknown and explore new systems. But I like people as well, so in sixty or so years time there will be an invitation going out: anyone who wants to come along can join me on a long trip.”

Twenty-two years after David Massey wrote the short story “All That Glisters...” in Stories of Life on the Frontier, Jaques is doing just that. It took a little longer than expected (the old Coriolis Station wasn’t robust enough to take the drives he wanted…) but he got there in the end." -
Draco84oz (FGE).

Link : Life on the Frontier

Link : All That Glisters

From his introduction into the Elite Dangerous gameworld in early 3301 (patch 1.1), up until May 3302, Jaques had been content at roaming around the bubble and frontier, effectively conducting short haul hops around the Local Orion Spur... until...

Jaques' Big Jump :

Inspired by the success of the Distant Worlds Expedition, Jaques decided he wanted to finally travel beyond human space and head out into the galaxy - namely to Beagle Point, some 65,000 light years from home on the far side of the galaxy.

In early May 3302 a Community Goal was launched that tasked the Fuel Rats to begin delivering the hydrogen fuel to Gliese 1269, the fuel needed for Jaques to attempt the jump.

zHK96cW.jpg

Within weeks the Fuel Rats and pilots from across inhabited space had delivered a staggering 7.4 million tonnes of fuel.

The below extract is taken from the 'History of Beagle Point' section found on the Galactic Mapping Project.

The History of Beagle Point : Part 4 - The Mystery of Jaques Starport.

"In recognition of the Distant Worlds fleets successful conclusion to their expedition, Jaques the Cyborg and owner of the galaxies only roaming Orbis Starport, announced his attention to hyperjump the starport to Beagle Point. In May of 3302 hundreds of pilots had rallied to Jaques cause and had delivered Hydrogen fuel to the starport - the fuel needed to attempt the jump. A few days later Jaques plotted the route, initiated the hyperjump, but unfortunately due to navigational failures the initial jump failed."

Sabotage Attempt :

During the 'Jaques Big Jump' community goal, a group claiming to be 'The Hands of the Architects' were caught trying to sabotage the Starports engines:

"A station spokesperson said: “The individuals are apparently members of a cult that arose shortly after Jasmina Halsey first claimed to have encountered super-intelligent, non-human life. Materials confiscated from the individuals indicate that they hoped to force a mis-jump during Jaques’ forthcoming journey to Beagle Point."

Link : Attempt to Sabotage Jaques Station Thwarted

With the community goal being a monumental success, and the sabotage attempt thwarted, in early June 3302 Jaques had completed pre-flight checks, plotted a course from Gliese 1269 to Beagle Point, and initiated the jump.

The Mystery of Jaques' Whereabouts :

It was expected to take around 1 week for Jaques to reach Beagle Point. During that time the last remnants of the Distant Worlds fleet still out at Beagle Point prepared for his arrival. Anticipation grew, and even some fleet members who had set off for home a week or two prior to the hyperjump, decided to return to Beagle Point and join in in welcoming the Cyborg to the far galactic rim.

A week passed, yet Jaques failed to appear.

As time went by speculation arose about what had happened. Had he been destroyed in hyperspace?.. had the supermassive black hole Sagittarius A* effected his guidance system and flung the starport out to the far reaches?.. had Jaques actually made it to Beagle Point but navigation failure had caused the starport to impact on one of the systems desolate worlds?

New Claims of Foul Play :

Although the initial sabotage attempt by the Hands of the Architects failed, it emerged that a second attempt is rumored to have succeeded when news of a concerted effort by unknown individuals came to light. Claims that individuals had been smuggling Unidentified Artifacts (UAs) aboard Jaques Station just prior to the hyperjump has surfaced. UA's have become notoriously known for affecting starport subsystems and causing system failures. It was strongly believed that this was the cause of Jaques' misjump.

The Search Begins :

Almost one month to the day that Jaques' community goal had began, and 2 weeks after being overdue at Beagle Point, the final 22 pilots of the Distant Worlds fleet still remaining at Beagle Point regrouped and began a coordinated search of the system. No sign of the starport in orbit around any of the Beagle Point worlds was found, eventually the search focused around the Darwin's Legacy basecamp, and over the course of a weekend the search party covered 20,000 square kilometers of surface area - looking for wreckage or any signs of the stricken starport.

Eventually the search was called off and all hope of locating Jaques seemed impossible. He could be anywhere, a needle in a celestial haystack.

A Chance Discovery :

On the 29th June, 3302, CMDR Cly, a budding explorer, looking for places to go visit out in the black, happened to be scanning the galactic map on his NavCom whilst docked at a station in the bubble. Something caught his attention. A faint signal among a backdrop of noise. On close inspection he noticed an anomaly - a solitary system 22,000 light years from Sol, situated on the outer edges of the western galactic core regions, a system highlighted against a million grey blobs.

Within hours Cly had refitted his Anaconda for exploration and had begun a quest to see what was out there. Some thirteen hours later, Cly reached the system on the near edge of the Colonia Nebula, a system designated EOL PROU RS-T D3-94. A quick scan of the system revealed its secret. Jaques station had been located.

Link : I have found Jaques Station

Although most of its systems where offline, the station was still operational, with docking facilities and a basic commodity market still functional.

Using Cly's ships onboard comms relay, Jaques finally managed to send a data packet back to civilized space. The starport had indeed been effected by UA saboteurs. UA interference had caused the collapse of the witchspace tunnel and the starport had been dragged out of its jump some 46,000 light years short of Beagle Point.

It is said that meta alloys counteract the damage that UA corrosion does to starport sub systems. Back in the bubble, and armed with this knowledge, a rescue plan was initiated by the civilian population.

xZ9FnCh.jpg

2.. Current Events

Birth of a New Society?

Within hours of Jaques discovery, a tentative effort to rally pilots to his cause was launched by CMDR Olivia Vespera, a Distant Worlds veteran who had flown the fleet flagship, a T-9, all the way to Beagle Point. The goal - deliver meta alloys from Maia out to Jaques and help bring the starport back up to full operational power.

Link : A call for pilots to emigrate out to Jaques

'Rescue Jaques' Coordinator : Olivia Vespera

Simultaneously, CMDR Dynamicbob put the call out for those seeking answers as to why Jaques ended up where he did, on the edge of a nebula (that subsequently became known as the Colonia Nebula). What secrets does this particular nebula hide? Is it home to another colony of Barnacles? Why did the witchspace tunnel Jaques was traveling through collapse here, at this particular point? Is there a connection between UA interference into Jaques' guidance system, to something that resides within the Colonia Nebula?

Link : Secrets within the Colonia Nebula?

Colonia Nebula Search Coordinator : Dynamicbob

3.. Possible Future Projects?

What next for this emerging story?

Are these viable goals, or just pipe dreams?

• A coordinated event to maintain Jaques once the initial pioneering effort initiated by Olivia Vespera is successful?
  • An attempt to begin a fledgling industrial / mining-based society in and around the Colonia Nebula?
  • An attempt to open up a new frontier?
  • An attempt to show Frontier Developments that a new colony, far from the bubble, will be good for the game as it'll bring content and ambitious goals for explorers to get involved in, and bring opportunities for long distance trade missions.
  • A chance to deliver colonists out to Jaques - passenger missions that have a distinct goal. Make it a passenger mission CG !

Its location is perfect. Just 12,000 light years from Sagittarius A*. The perfect staging post for scientific exploration of the galactic neutron fields. In the opposite direction lies the mysterious Hyponia region - a place rumored to be the home of an unknown sentient race - ripe for inter-species trading opportunities once Hyponia borders are opened. And to the 'southwest' - the Froadik Fallows, another permit region.. what lurks within its borders?

4.. The August Exodus

What can we do?

Once the Dangerous Games are concluded later this month - a call to really push this event to the forefront of FDs thinking. This is a story that was born from humble beginnings, and through a set of unscripted (it seems) circumstances, is growing into something special. A vast migration of players out to the Colonia Nebula... why?...

"A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies. The chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure"

If nothing else it will show FD the desire is there from the playerbase to go out there and make this work. It could lead to a series of CGs that embrace all playstyles (see 'A Proposal to Frontier Developments' for a more in-depth way of how this can be achieved).

Update : The August Exodus Event is now underway -
details here.

5.. Beyond the Exodus

Why build a Colony out at Jaques? :

Having a colony region distinct and physically separate from the human bubble could open up many new avenues of gameplay in the coming months/years;

• Long range trade opportunities, with the colonies providing new raw materials that have been long mined out of the homeworld systems. This opens up inter-trade routes between the bubble and its outer colonies.
  • Long range courier missions that give players a sense of adventure as they cross the void between the outer frontier and colonial worlds.
  • Passenger and tourism transport missions.
  • A new and distinct political entity could spring up one day as the Colony grows independent from the main powers - creating a new power altogether which in itself opens up a whole host of new possibilities and story arcs (rebellions, wars etc).
  • A colony will give some players something to identify with beyond our ships (which are our 'homes'). But now with a physical location, distinct from our traditional homeworlds, players could emigrate out there and class it as their new home. The birth of a colonist identity.
  • Its logical, considering human colonization has been ingrained within us for thousands of years. If the means and technology to spread human genes further afield exists, humans would do so.

Who has a role to play at some point? :

• Explorers
  • Traders
  • Bounty Hunters & Pirates
  • Miners
  • NPC Passenger Transport

A Proposal to Frontier Developments :

Link : Building Colonies

Last edited:
Hi,

I headed out yesterday and already made more than 8000ly. I am part of some commanders of the (german) group 'Explorers on Tour', which are also on their way or already at Jaques Station. We all carry some meta alloys, medicine and food, soma also mining equipment.

CU there
Guy De Lombard

I'm up for it! Take my Clipper out with a cargo full of meta-alloy =) I will probably cannonball it out and take my time coming back though. Have to wait for the CG to be over first =/

I'm up for it! Take my Clipper out with a cargo full of meta-alloy =) I will probably cannonball it out and take my time coming back though. Have to wait for the CG to be over first =/

Yep, this proposal is set for August (an August Exodus!).

I think this gives time for FD to monitor the situation with the impromptu meta alloy mission and draw up a new story arc (if there isn't one already), but more importantly the Dangerous Games remain paramount. I doubt FD will do anything 'new' with Jaques while the games are on, so we may not hear anything until August at the earliest.

I have left also to JS, left yesterday and im almost there, only 3400Ly to go. Unfortunately im not carrying any cargo because of a little mishap when i left the station... i simply forgot to buy food and all i got is some beer for me. :D
I remembered that when i was already 1000Ly away and decided that ill do just a buckyballing sightseeing trip this time and get stuff there some point later.

Will be at JS tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
Simultaneously, CMDR Dynamicbob put the call out for those seeking answers as to why Jaques ended up where he did, on the edge of a nebula (that subsequently became known as the Colonia Nebula). What secrets does this particular nebula hide? Is it home to another colony of Barnacles? Why did the witchspace tunnel Jaques was traveling through collapse here, at this particular point? Is there a connection between UA interference into Jaques' guidance system, to something that resides within the Colonia Nebula?

Didn't Jaques say that he/it dropped into that particular system because it was the closest "safe" system (whatever that means) he could drop into, or risk complete destruction if he pushed on?

EDIT: He did indeed
"Pretty soon I realised I had a choice – push on to Beagle Point and arrive as a cloud of shrapnel, or drop into the nearest safe system. I made the only choice I could – to push on. Then I came to my senses and decided to drop into Eol Prou RS-T d3-94."
Source: https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/5774e64f9657ba3d668a023a

Last edited:
Didn't Jaques say that he/it dropped into that particular system because it was the closest "safe" system (whatever that means) he could drop into, or risk complete destruction if he pushed on?

That is true, but a little bit of metagame thinking would suggest that, if we assume FDev want the Jaques storyline to carry on and lead somewhere, the closest "safe" system will turn out to be quite close to something interesting as well....

That is true, but a little bit of metagame thinking would suggest that, if we assume FDev want the Jaques storyline to carry on and lead somewhere, the closest "safe" system will turn out to be quite close to something interesting as well....

This is what I think too. Its also quite telling that he happened to drop out right next to a nebulae, in fact a region that has a high concentration of nebulae relatively close together (the festival grounds are really close too). So I think the location wasn't a random choice or anything based on Jaques quote per se, but possibly because something else is (or soon will be) out there.

Didn't you also point out that it's very near a bunch of permit locked systems as well? I would speculate that based upon our interaction with the Jaques station storyline, some of those areas become unlocked.

It may be worth checking their status when we get there.

Didn't you also point out that it's very near a bunch of permit locked systems as well? I would speculate that based upon our interaction with the Jaques station storyline, some of those areas become unlocked.

It may be worth checking their status when we get there.
Jaques is situated in a very interesting part of the galaxy. Sagittarius A* is 12,000 LYs away, and yes there are two significant permit locked sectors in the opposite direction, so he's situated in a region that makes some interesting POIs reachable within a reasonable amount of gametime.

I don't think its a coincidence that he was found in a place that has lots of existing background content within reasonable reach. If he'd been found somewhere in the 4th quadrant I'd say it was probably random (as there is little there in terms of nebulae and permit locked systems). His location could be one of the more interesting aspects of this mystery.

Last edited:
As stated elsewhere, I've also found that Jaques has landed directly next to a neutron field. Just go directly down and you'll soon hit it.

That makes exploration data easy and valuable to get if the station becomes fully functional.

Additional: Just checked - it's 73 LY straight down and you'll hit the first of the Neutron Stars.

Last edited:
As stated elsewhere, I've also found that Jaques has landed directly next to a neutron field. Just go directly down and you'll soon hit it.

That makes exploration data easy and valuable to get if the station becomes fully functional.

Additional: Just checked - it's 73 LY straight down and you'll hit the first of the Neutron Stars.

Just went straight down with the proper filter selected and can't find any neutron stars in that area.

Could it be the very edges of the western neutron fields? Or is it a separate field all together? Interesting find!

Just went straight down with the proper filter selected and can't find any neutron stars in that area.

I'll get you a system name shortly

EOL PROU IW-W E1-1868 is on its own but a little further and well...

EOL PROU KR-W E1-2497 / E1-611 / 2722 / 955

There's flipping loads.

In fact there is one in the nebula. EOL PROU RS-T D3-287

Last edited:
Top Bottom