Journey of making grid-based build set - lots of fails. Help?

I have been trying to make wall based set.
I want it to adhere to grid like the ingame walls and basically be part of that system so you can build with ingame walls together with my walls so to say. Behave same way.

After some considering I thought I had it - hitcheck box of 4x4x4m for the 4m wall piece. Should do the trick, right?

blender.png

Looking good eh.png
Looking good enough, right? It won't meld into corners. But we can live with that, right? It also fits perfectly with ingame walls! (nevermind the stark yellow, just testing :D)

But....

position snap on hitcheck.png
This was the position snap. On one side you can snap objects on just like usual. No problem. But going on other side.. Whoops. It is snapping to the hitcheck boundary! Looking funny. That's not good.

Then I built up on height. And let the sun go around the 24hours. And I discovered really ugly shadow artifacts. That's not acceptable.

unknown.png

No, that did not look good.

I experimenting with 1. removing normal map. 2. adding slight oversized walls if there's invisible but still there gap. 3. NO MATERIALS at all.

Same result. As you can see.

shadow artifacts.png
(left: overlap and no material, mid: overlap, right: no normal map)

Then I went off, maybe it is something with hitcheck box 4x4x4 and also other issues I thoguht why not make a new wall file and used 1. hitcheck box same size as wall. 2. no hitcheck box.

By some reason the resulting grid size is slightly larger. I dunno why.
no hitcheck box. no good..png

But with that aside.... lo and behold. The ugly shadows still PERSISTS!
Look here..
simpleast no material.png
simplest. New file from scratch. No material, nothing. Look there. Shadows.

Conclusion:

Shadow problem:
So.. maybe it is the BLENDER? Export settings I use: BINARY, EXPERIMENTAL, MESH ONLY. (Blender 2.79)

4x4m grid building same as in game walls but still be able to snap windows etc on both sides:
I do not know how to solve this. Any ideas? Or maybe something Frontier forgot to add to TMT?

Last edited:
With the nice help of Vampiro he checked for shadow problems on his computer and actually it turned out to be something that is on my computer and not on his and I discovered later that it actually also effect ingame walls. so Scratch this. I have written bug report.

So problem still remaining:
How to get the walls to behave just like ingame walls. ;)

Be sure to do so, stuk71! :)

I for one would like to be able to make build items that would work together with the ingame grid build items.

Top Bottom