Journey to the known unbeknownst records of the galaxy

Flying on PS4 means that basically all "firsts" are done.
Flying furthest? Done.
Flying highest? Done.
Writing the Elite logo onto the galaxy? Done.
Mapping entire (sub)sectors? Done.

Yes, occasionally somebody finds a way to a system higher above the galactic plane than the current record. But I'm too much a coward for that (not a single neutron boosted jump so far).
Yes, occasionally somebody stumbles over incredible views. But that process is a bit unsystematic.

And then there is my "personal narrative" which includes that I consider myself more of a traveler than an explorer. So while the journey certainly is the reward, reaching the goal is why I headed into the void in the first place.
So systematic data gathering is not why I'm a pilot. (I did that enough in RL).

But then there is also "RL me" who totally can get lost in exploring what is to be found in (large) data dumps.

Much of the data collected by the many, many explorers can be found on EDSM. While officially much more is explored, all that can be found just ingame and not on EDSM is basically lost information.

So. How can I merge this?

Well, the answer to that question occured to me after the velocity of a planet was asked for.

It dawned upon me, that there must be some records out there, which were discovered without the discoverer realizing this.
Some of these are recorded and visible for everybody on EDSM (e.g. the hottest Metal-rich body, the coldest B (Blue-White) Star etc. pp.). But much more is out there.

So I did a quick search and figured out what is NOT recorded anywhere (except in the data dumps).
Then it took me some weeks to write programs that search for that in the EDSM data. It took so much time because I had ever more ideas what I could visit. This was also the reason for some of my recent threads.

So, this is what I'm going to do the next couple of years.
The journey is NOT bound to be done "all at once". So if I feel like it, I will do something else.
It is also not bound to be done just in my trusty Kassiopeia. Since many of the record holding bodies are close the Bubble I may chose using different ships.
Neither are the waypoints fixed. Since the community is still exploring, new records are found all the time. However, to not make this a never ending quest, I've decided to NOT visit bodies which hold a newer record in a given characteristic if I have already visited the old record holder. But as long as I haven't been there, the old record holders will be replaced by the new record holding body.
In general I will JUST visit unique records that are NOT recorded on EDSM (except in the data dumps). That means if several bodies have the same record value for a given characteristic I will visit none. However, some exceptions are made (mainly for photo opportunities or to just look at it).
Finally, I've decided to look at all record holders from up close. So not just honking and FSS'ing but I will actuallyfly there, no matter the distance from the point of arrival.

So, this journey will mostly be to systems and celestial bodies which pilots usually are not interested in. It may produce some nice photos, but mostly it won't. But it may give a bit better impression of what is "out there" and how the life of a traveler / explorer is for most of the time.

Well, since I'm already going to everywhere in the galaxy I will also visit certain systems which are visited by many explorerers and travelers (e.g. the meridian systems).

To finish this initial post, here a map of where I'm about to go (with the mentioned caveats):

Source of the map, license: unknown. The galactic map was made by CMDR Finwen und CMDR Corbin Moran, lettering and coordinate grid by CMDR Corbin Moran with names from the Galactic Mapping Project. I've shrinked (or shrunk? maybe shranked? … HELP!) the map and included the red points

Edit: I forgot to mention: of course everybody is invited to go and visit the known but unknown record holding celestial bodies. If you do so, please post here which system / body it is and which record it holds :) . Maybe I should re-name this thread to "The Galactic Book of Records" or something like this.

Edit 2:
An analysis revealed that the size of giants, super giants and dwarfs (that is normal star dwarfs, NOT white dwarfs) is NOT as it is in the real universe. E.g., are most M (Red giants) smaller than Sol or M (Red dwarfs) exist with radii much larger than Sol's.
A proper classification is not possible (see the discussion under the given link). Hence I just made up limits which shall not be passed as when a (super) giant or dwarf shall beonsidered as such.

• The radius of giants needs to be larger than 23 solar radii (because of a classic book).
  • The radius of super giants needs to be larger than 230 solar radii (originally I used 420 radii but I changed it to this lower value).
  • And finally, (regular star) dwarfs must be smaller than 1 solar radius.
If the star under question is smaller (or larger in the dwarf case) than that value it shall NOT be considered as record holding body.

Edit 3:
Due to issues with the orbital parameters in connection with binary systems I've dropped some of the records.
See this post where these issues were discovered and this post where I go in detail about it.

Last edited:
The incredible DW2 expedition brought me to Beagle Point. Yesterday I finally went to Semotus Beacon.
While I've been twice at BP have I never been there. I guess I've already mentioned that I'm a bit of a coward.

So this is where this journey officially starts ... with an exception from the rules I gave myself.

As written on EDSM is it holding two records. This system has the highest z-coordinate of all known systems and is furthest away from Sol.
Nice! Ticking of two records at the same time.

I rested on one of the moons around the gas giant orbiting the secondary star.

And here we go again:

Nothing spectacular, but exactly the reason why I'm a pilot.

With this common picture I will leave you until next time.

That is natural I would say, sinec most of the things are in the bubble, around EA or along the "highways".

How about a joint venture?
I am pretty sure that most of the things I'm going to visit are very boring. Nonetheless, are these (at the time of visit) record holding bodies.
So as I suggest in the first post can this here become the "Galactic book of (unique) records" and whenever this is of interest for the galactic mapping project you just take the data / pictures and include it there, too.

I've already invited others to participate (though probably nobody will do that).

The next body is (as of 3305-04-08) also a double record holder: Ceecku FN-Q d6-1 3 A.

It is the Rocky body with the lowest gravity (value = 0.007895669291323832 g) and it is the landable Rocky body with the lowest gravity.

Here I am, cruising around on it.

I like the change in surface colour and that it is not so dark as it often is due to the distance to the star.

One may wonder why I separate these two categories. Well, they are not necessarily overlapping.
Firstly, one body might hold a record in a given category but is not landable. So another body might have not the record value for this overall category, but it holds the (lower) record for the subcategory of all the landable bodies of this body type (if it is landable at all).
Secondly, it may be that e.g., the "not-landable" record is not unique; several bodies of that type may hold it. However, it is still possible in that case that just one landable body of this type exists having the record value in this category.
Thirdly, combinations of the above.

Personally I think this is a good thing! Because otherwise I would have to travel to far more systems than I already have to.

As a sidenote: I prefer it out here, where the sky is truly black with so very few stars. I always long for that when I'm in regions with higher star densities.

Last edited:
AAARGHGHAGHGARHG! I can't change the title of the thread :(

Anyway, the next system is Syrai Thua XV-E d11-0 at the end of the Sagittarius Carina Arm. Kudos to the ever fantastic edastro.com because it helped me to figure out where it is to find.

Personally it was a bit of a first for me. Until I had visited Semotus Beacon just some days ago I had never used FSD injection. And here I had to use several to reach this system. I was rather excited and despite the fact that I'm filled to the brim with the necessary materials was I a bit worried if i will have enough for my journey. Fortunately I had a handy tool to help me save some Jumponium (albeit at the cost of a short detour).

Well, here I am on one of its celestial bodies, ...

... appreciating the wasteland of Tatooine, with it's two suns … Whoopsie, wrong universe ;)

The next body I've visited was Straae Eohn PO-X d2-3 7.

Well, this is NOT a record holding body per se, but another another characteristic makes it kind of interesting.
The value of its mass (more exact, its mass expressed in earth masses) is very close to the golden ratio. The difference is just 1.1250105069748884e-08. (Could anybody please tell me how to get a proper superscript?)

As of 3305-05-11 just five other bodies were discovered which have a characteristic with a value that close to the golden ratio.

These are ("golden-ratio-characteristic" in brackets):
If these only the last in the list is landable.

I've chosen Straae Eohn PO-X d2-3 7 because it was closest to where I am right now.
And here it is:

The "smudge" is my trusty Kassiopeia :)

Ceeckia RU-C a12-0 2 A holds with a value of 89.999977 degrees both records for the Icy Body with the highest orbital inclination and it is also landable. (See the explanation for Ceecku FN-Q d6-1 3 A why these are two different things.)

As expected, it is unremarkable:

However, the body itself was NOT the reason why I came here. I rather wanted to see the following, since I haven't seen such an extreme out-of-ecliptic orbit before:

Without the Orrery that would have been rather dull.

That's it with the record. However, another body in this system has a highly (albeit not record) orbital inclination:

Maybe the system is some kind of cosmic Pied Piper of Hamelin.

Oevaxy PA-A d0 … well, the following is a very subjective decision. I declared this to be the northern most system along the north-south-meridian.

Officially recognized is Iorady JO-Z d13-0 (Asterous - The 'Northern' Meridian) (which I've passed on my way here).

However, my reasoning is the following. Hypuae Euq SY-S d3-0 (Livingstone Point) does not have the words "southern meridian" in its name but it is recognized by Universal Cartographics EDSM as "[…] the most distant system […] southward along the meridian line."

So I've taken the distance of Livingstone Point to the meridian line is an upper limit a system can be away from said line to be still recognized as "meridian system". And well, Oevaxy PA-A d0 falls within this limit but is further north than Asterous.

I have to admit, maybe staring into its main star …

… was what lead to the above thoughts. After all, 1307 years ago, it was mentioned in a ground breaking social study that this may have negative effects on your psychological health.

With Eictach HS-R d5-1 I've visited a celestial body which has a characteristic with a value close to pi. The characteristic is the rotational period and the difference to pi is 1.3333516335478635e-07.

As of 3305-05-12 just 8 other bodies have been found in the galaxy with a characteristic with a value equally close to pi. These are:
And here I am, taking heat damage since I'm a bit close to Eictach HS-R d5-1 to take a picture … in the name of science, of course!

Last edited:
Syrivoae DG-E b26-0 is another star that is NOT a record holder but has a characteristic close to a constant. This time the constant is the elementary charge.
Well, of course I use just the figure before, the "order of magnitude". I doubt that the stellar forge works with a precision of ten to the minus twenty-nine.

Anyway, it is the rotational period of this star that has a value of 1.6021766493055556. Thus the difference to the elementary charge (given the above said) is just 2.850555569366975e-08.

As of 3305-05-12 just three other bodies in the galaxy have been found with a characteristic with a value this close to the elementary charge. All of them are stars (or wannabe stars), the characteristic is always the rotational period and these are:

And here it is, the star of this stop:

The travelers life in a nutshell … not so much black, but rather very often getting very close to lots and lots of these glowing orbs in the sky.

For a while Pyroo Eohn BR-C d0 B 2 will be the last "no-record-but-interesting-value" celestial body. This planets semi major axis comes as close as 3.792686253945021e-08 to the unified atomic mass units value (without the order of magnitude of course).

As of 3305-05-13 just one other body has been reported with a value equally close: Skaude BB-L d9-903 B 9 (also the semi major axis).

And here is the former:

I think I've never been up close to one of these … but then, I can't imagine why i should have done that.

With a value of 89.999176 for it's orbital inclination holds Byeia Bre ZW-Y b41-0 1 a the record for this characteristic for all Rocky Ice worlds and it is also landable. So this is another double record holding body.

I've spotted these blue rifts …

… a couple of times before orbiting similar planets and always wondered what it is. So I finally took this opportunity to look it up close and it is … … … boring.
Fortunately have I warned in the initial post that this journey will mostly be to boring stuff.
I was also a bit dissappointed that I could not land on one of the mesa's (is there a plural of this word?), even though they are large and flat enough for my Kassiopeia.

The inclination does not show clearly in the Orrery map since the parent body has no other moons with which it could be compared.
But interestingly enough, as for the Ceeckia RU-C a12-0 system above, this system has also another body orbiting the main star with a high inclination. I wonder if there is a system behind this.

Anyway, I'm really tired, but I don't want to stay here for the night, that planet gives me the creeps. I don't know why, it probably is a totally alright companion, once one get's better known to it. But I'll do two jumps before I'll hit the sack.

Oevaxy PA-A d0 … well, the following is a very subjective decision. I declared this to be the northern most system along the north-south-meridian.

Officially recognized is Iorady JO-Z d13-0 (Asterous - The 'Northern' Meridian) (which I've passed on my way here).

However, my reasoning is the following. Hypuae Euq SY-S d3-0 (Livingstone Point) does not have the words "southern meridian" in its name but it is recognized by Universal Cartographics EDSM as "[…] the most distant system […] southward along the meridian line."

So I've taken the distance of Livingstone Point to the meridian line is an upper limit a system can be away from said line to be still recognized as "meridian system". And well, Oevaxy PA-A d0 falls within this limit but is further north than Asterous.

So the 'Meridians' are supposed to be as close to 0 values on the X/Y axis as possible. Iorady JO-Z d13-0 is at 26.9 / -13.7, which gives it a root mean distance from 0/0 of 30.18 Ly. Oevaxy PA-A d0 has values of -83.75 / 10.34 which gives it a root mean of 84.4 Ly. Iorady JO-Z d13-0 is "closer" to the meridian by that approximation.

I won't argue against that.
There are probably other systems even closer to the axis, but also closer to Sol. These meridian systems are not really subjectiv … I would say. Not even Livingstone Point got the "southern meridian" in its name and in the description for it it doesn't say what "along" means.

This entry will be a bit … technical.

Nyauthai AA-A h0 A holds two records. First it has the largest semi major axis for a B (Blue-White super giant) Star with a value of 51478664314880.0 meters (ca. 344.1 au).

I now wanted to know what the circumference of this orbit is. An exact solution exists. The problem is it is an integral without an analytical solution. And since I intended to do this calculation for all (discovered) bodies in the galaxy calculating said integral would have slowed down the already slow search algorithm even more.

Fortunately had Srinivasa Ramanujan discovered a fantastically good approximation for the circumference of an ellipse. He published it in his paper "Modular equations and approximations to π" in Quarterly Journal of Mathematics, XLV, 1914, 350 -- 372 (paragraph 16).
So the circumference can be approximated:

in which

with < a > as the semi major axis and < b > the semi minor axis. The latter is not available in the EDSM data but can easily be calculated since the (I think linear) eccentricity (epsilon) of the orbit is available:

Thus the circumference of the orbit of this star is ca. 323110720 Mm. This is a record for this type of star.

Well, in the Orrery that doesn't look spectacular, neither does the given star itself if you look at it:

It is a super giant but without a reference it's just another glowing orb in the sky.
But wait, there is another blue-white super giant star just around the corner … well, seen on a galactic scale because it is still 372,485 ls away. And that one has a smaller O star as a really close companion.

So I flew there … and O! M! F! G! … Super giants are huge indeed! Here I am still more than 17 kls away. The little dot I've selected is the companion star which is eight times larger than Sol.

So … I got as close as 111 ls to the O star … and … … …

… … … I agree that this sight deserves the entry in the GMP. Even though it has nothing at all to do with the intention of this thread ;)

Btw. usually I fly through the gap between close stars … and I regularly fry my ship because of that … but then again, that's what the AFMU's are there for, arent't they. However, this time I was not at all tempted to fly between these two … and not for the first time I thought about sacrificing a bit jump range to install heat sinks for exactly such stunts.

@Heavy Johnson: As said above, if you want to use images to update / extend the GMP, feel free to do so. But please say so in this thread, so that I know when I'm getting rich and famous I can feel important ;)

Last edited:
Exahn JM-W d1-13 A is as of 3305-15-05 the youngest S-type Star in the EDSM data with an age of just 3.702 billion years.
Beside the record itself, is this interesting because there are not many unique age records in the data. Usually there are many bodies of the same type that share the same lowest or highest age.

Well, here it is … and WHOA! These are huge (as they should be), even from more than 100 ls away.

Since I often state the date when I visited a record holding body I should also mention that I (at time of writing) still work with bodies.json-file last updated at the 3rd of May. As soon as this file get's updated I will update all (new, not yet visited) records. I'm saying that, because it is possible that newer record holders were discovered since said file was generated. These will be available via the EDSM web-interface, but they will not be in my evaluation of the data until the file gets updated. … … … am I talking too much?

Top Bottom