Jump Range (Current/Unladen) I know this has been answered tons of times but can't find answer

Jump Range (Current/Unladen) I know this has been answered tons of times but can't seem to find answer. So I have an Asp Explorer, outfitted for exploration specifically. I don't have any cargo but my current jump range is drastically smaller than the unladen. Is fuel considered mass? Is that why it's so much smaller? Evrey keyword I search on the forum or google has literally every answer around this but not this specifically so here I am asking.

Attachments

• ed1.png
    ed1.png
    457.7 KB · Views: 1,147
Fuel is considered mass. That's quite a difference, though. Do you have extra fuel tanks installed?

Last edited:
Oh yeah. Deep space exploration planned. Dont like refueling every couple handful of jumps or so. Is it just me or did fuel used to not have mass? Am I crazy?

Yeah I'm nuts then. Well at least I'm crazy with a 31 some odd jump range. Guess I'll keep grinding to engineer this ship.

You have 3 jump-ranges for your ship (4 actually) - laden, unladen, max, and current.

Laden, Unladen, and Current are obvious, I hope. The first two assume a full fuel-tank, although I'm not sure if they take extra fuel-tanks into account (I've never used one). The latter is what your ship can currently do with current fuel-levels and cargo.

Max is for when you jump with minimum fuel onboard. For example, my AspX for DWE1 "only" had 32.6 LY range. For one of the final jumps to Beagle Point I needed 33.4LY range. Instead of using Jumponium, I just jumped with a half-empty tank which gave me the extra bit of range I needed.

This is a "trick" when exploring sparse regions of space - instead of fuelling up fully, you only fuel up enough to make the next jump. This can give you quite a bit of extra range, making the difference between being able to make the jump or not. Of course, if the destination system is not scoopable, you're stuffed, so this type of exploration requires a lot of patience and care. I find it very rewarding though.

Pretty sure you're crazy. Fuel has had mass since I started.

Do you remember when NPC fighters were accidentally as massive as capital ships? IIRC they'd been given a stupid-large fuel count behind the scenes to avoid gassing out during maneuvers, but it had the fun side effect of making them supermassive if they hit you physically.

Given that the Asp Explorer has low fuel usage per jump an extra fuel tank is really not needed. A class 6 fuel scoop makes scooping even after a 60LY jump fast. One can jump, honk the ADS while scooping and then jump in 1 minute. Note the Python also has low fuel usage.

I only use extra fuel tanks for ships with too small a tank to start with. An example is the Fer de Lance when I want to want to get around the bubble to a combat zone. If not flying the FDL I can always transfer it.

On some ships I downsize the tank to get more jump range, using map filters to ensure i'm always hitting scoopable stars. The real limit on most trips is scoop rate, not fuel capacity.

Obviously, if one needs to cross a stretch of unscoopable space, especially when using neutron and such, this is unwise.

But for random jaunts to hit barnacles or whatever I swap the size 5 tank down to a 4 on a ship like the Asp or DBX. That's 16 tons less, a better savings than some of the lightweight engineering and D rate stuff people do, without the drawbacks. Since I'm scooping pretty much every stop it doesn't matter, my tank is rarely if ever less than half full anyway.

Lower Your main fuel tank to the smallest available then put on 1 or 2 extra tanks on to make your fuel size up to what you were going to choose with the main fuel tank and voila hey presto your laden and unladen will be practically the same. Every long distance journey you make will now be mapped for you at practically your maximum output range. Works a charm try it.

Really? Huh guess I'll fiddle with it a bit. Been a while since I've been back in the bubble so been getting used to balancing modules and mass again .

Yeah I'm nuts then. Well at least I'm crazy with a 31 some odd jump range. Guess I'll keep grinding to engineer this ship.
When I was out exploring in my Asp, I fitted a 6A fuel scoop, with it refueling is so quick its not a hassle. If you're hugging the star at max speed when aligning for the next jump, you'll get a full fuel tank.

Fuel has always had mass
And why you'll see explorers with light weight class 1 rails guns with the plasma slug experimenttal so they can dump fuel for that extra jump range

Oh! So that's why, I thought it was because they were trying to boost their combat rank.

Top Bottom