Jump range ??

Was wondering on peoples thoughts full FSD engineering + guardian FSD .too be honest I can not see much advantage in a jump range over 60 lys in regards to exploration I can actually think it's an hindrance as you may tend to rush and miss far more than you see my mining conda is nearly 50lys and I am well happy with that and I have an exploration conda 60+ but still have room for vehicle+ fighter hangers which I think are a must on long trips out

Massive jump range in explorers are useful for being able to bridge massive gaps between stars (on the outer edges of the spiral arms or high above/below the galaxy where the 'air is a bit thin') :)

'proper' explorers use economical jumping between stars anyway though ;)

I can understand that but for more mortals like me there out of bounds unless in some future update its addressed as for neutron stars etc the amount of times I have and failed and nearly destroyed my ship is more than enough to never bother again .fortunately there is more than enough space out there too keep me occupied indefinitely with mining etc .I admire your ability to navigate these areas but I think I have enough jump range to get me to most places without taking chances .but good on you Cmdr .

Oh I've not bothered with the guardian boosters myself, just normal engineer level stuff, it was ust advice from experience as to what they will help with.

I've been out to jaques and sag in a level one modded fsd asp so engineering is by no means required for exploration. Entirely optional. o7

Last edited:
My dbx has a 56ly jump range which gets me to where I want to explore nice and quick with minimal upgrade and as Mr. Cynical says switching to eco mode to explore the said area.
Depends on how you want to explore and where o7

I have 2 accounts so try to play as a kind of story mode 1 account already in colonia and exploring around the area in a bog standard hauler. This is kind of acting as a pathfinder for the 2nd account which is busy building a mining exploration bounty hunting fleet . This mainly due to the on going conflict between the thargoids humans with colonia and areas around being the new klondike gold rush and also with maybe the chance too build your own settlement station in the future a bit of make believe or a lot and possible game updates in the future .all I have done is kept 15 as it's my favourite number scanned systems from account a and given to account b with instructions to explore etc the surrounding areas while account 1 vanishes back into the black after only one cryptic contact with account 2 to back this up I deleted all my bookmarks except 15 to try and keep it slightly authenticate. 🤪🤪🤪🤪

Step 1. Max your FSD out
Step 2. Fit a Guardian FSD booster
Step 3. Set maximum jump in the plotter to approx. 2/3 your ACTUAL maximum range
Step 4. Enjoy sweet, sweet fuel economy.

Was wondering on peoples thoughts full FSD engineering + guardian FSD .too be honest I can not see much advantage in a jump range over 60 lys in regards to exploration I can actually think it's an hindrance as you may tend to rush and miss far more than you see my mining conda is nearly 50lys and I am well happy with that and I have an exploration conda 60+ but still have room for vehicle+ fighter hangers which I think are a must on long trips out

Well, I can always jump shorter (73ly max nicely outfitted) but you can't jump longer at need. And as noted above, when jumping shorter or econo the biggest drain you have is when the reserve fills back up. Long range to get where I am interested in, short/econo when I arrive.

Do what you want you will anyway.

I absolutely hate traveling in this game, so taxi ships generally have the highest possible jump range while still being durable enough to survive potential dangers in open play. Same goes for exploration ships.

My last run out near beagle was in a ship that jumped around... 63 on a full tank? Close to 72 when I was halfway on fuel. That’s with decent shields, some armor, and all the equipment.

I usually bop around the bubble in a 55ly+ T6.

It’s crazy how things have changed, man. My first exploration trip ever was in that same T6 jumping just 30 something ly. I’ll always consider that to be the threshold of ‘great’ range. Anything over is just extra. In a good way.

25-30 is good.

15-20 is okay, and plenty for where I normally go.

Below 15, I consider poor.

Only very extreme builds will dip below this, sometimes as low as 8ly. That’s the bare minimum for even short range travel.

Top Bottom