Jump ranges through the ages

To better illustrate how travel times have changed since the launch of the game, and how distance might convert to jumps made instead, I decided to make a comparison of how jump ranges have changed on a fairly regular Asp Explorer build. (Not an Anaconda, because back around launch, they weren't as quick to get as these days.) However, I might be misremembering some of the changes, and some of them appear to be lost. Especially the Engineering 1.0 ones.
So, could anyone look through these builds, and see if I missed anything?
Also, note that the Collector limpet controller is there to simulate mass of the ADS (2T), and the Recon limpet controller, the DSS (1.3T).

With that in mind, here are the ships, a Coriolis build link, and their unladen / max jump ranges.
Note: while the FSD booster was introduced in Beyond Chapter One, it didn't work and was removed until it was fixed in Beyond Chapter Two. Hence the August date there.
Note 2: the 2020's Asp uses a double-engineered FSD that was an exclusive reward for participating in a pair of CGs, which was not obtainable through regular gameplay until 2021-02-26.

So, let me know if something's off in there, if I made any mistakes and forgot about any changes!

Last edited:
Fun fact: When the First Great Expedition hosted a series of group exploration voyages shortly after the release of the game, the recommended minimum jump-range to take part was 12 LY - since most people (myself included) hadn't yet had the playtime to afford an AspX or class A FSD. The FGE forum is no longer maintained so the forum posts and actual data from those voyages are lost. As I recall it we separated people into groups based on their jump-range - and since no one actually showed up with a jump-range of only 12 LY, the slowest group was the 15-20 LY group.

Last edited:
The August date for the FSD Booster update is probably pretty good. I think that update actually came out on June 30, if I recall. I remember racing to get it installed, and the Krait outfitted, before starting the Outer Rim Station Tour at the beginning of July.

Around the year 9720 will we be able to reach Beagle Point with just one jump :p

I still miss the random mis-jumps..its so easy now..a bit of randomness would not hurt and could in fact be fun!

The August date for the FSD Booster update is probably pretty good. I think that update actually came out on June 30, if I recall. I remember racing to get it installed, and the Krait outfitted, before starting the Outer Rim Station Tour at the beginning of July.
Oh yeah, now that you mention it, it really was wrong. The FSD booster was fixed in version 3.1.1, and that was July 5 - fixed the timeline then.

Time for a surprise update to this, one I never expected I'd make: to include a build that's not available to all. The double-engineered class 5 FSD that was a reward for last week's pair of CGs now has its build as well, marked in italics because it's currently not obtainable. Still, I thought I should include it, and it would be useful for reference.
We'll see what Odyssey brings.

Top Bottom