Jurassic Safari, 1993 JP theme, missing JP: OG features and some QOL changes.

I really love JW:E and I can see it was made with a lot of passion and love for the JP franchise, and it's amazing what Frontier did in such short time. During my playthrough however, I found a few things that could be improved/changed, keeping in mind what is actually doable and what could be achieved with some patches/updates/DLC's, and not a complete overhaul of the game's engine. I played Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis so some ideas are lifted from there (well, duh! like most of the stuff in JW:E, but I digress). Let me begin.

Jurassic Park theme for the entire park
Right now we already have the amazingly recreated 1993 Jeep skin making it look identical to the ones in the first JP film. But with all the references to the first film I really miss being able to change the skins/models of all key buildings in the park. You know, right now we have this modern, silver and blue aesthetic. Why not have the buildings look retro like in the film, or even just change some of the colour patterns to match the Jeep skin! I think it would be an amazing idea, especially for Isla Nublar!

Flying and swimming reptiles
Basically pterosaurs and plesiosaurs. Think back to JP3 and the awesome aviary scene. Think to JW (ugh, can't believe I said that!) and remember the aquarium/water world with Mosasaurus. Pterosaurs were always a part of JP series, even back in TLW:JP, so why not include them here? I know, that would be a crazy idea to add one more huge building as the aviary or aquarium but if we could get some bigger islands/island customisation that could be possible. Additionally (nothing necessary, just an idea), you could allow us to see the aviary/aquarium from the inside! Like the first person Jeeps/gyrospheres. Experiencing it would be cool, albeit not mandatory.

Island customisation
The previous point connects to this one. JP: OG had a simplistic editor for our island, but still - it was a feature. In JW:E there's nothing like that. I know that Las Cincos Muertes + Isla Nublar are a cool idea - 6 different islands with 6 different challenges and approaches - but having an editor would be fantastic. Why? Because even on Nublar there's very little space! And if we could get some new attractions/dinosaurs we should be allowed to have even more space for them! Even on Nublar I cannot build my dream park as I can't fit all the dinosaurs.

More attractions and amenities for the guests
In JP: OG we had so many attractions! Balloon flights over the island, Jeep safari rides in the red-yellow-green Jeeps from the original film, viewing vents, and of course viewing domes, galleries and platforms. Here we only have 3 attractions: the gyrospheres which I guess replaced the Jeep rides, the galleries and the platforms. I guess the monorail is kinda like replacing the balloon fly-overs, but not quite.
The point is, that 3 attractions seem too little for such a grand idea as an amusement park with DINOSAURS.
Also JP: OG had so many amenities for the guests! Toilets, trash cans (in JW:E they appear only on fancy wide paths just as a decoration), benches to sit on, fountains to relax by, and - Oh, a shocker! UMBRELLAS! Yep, in JW:E all the guests have to get soaked in the rain, while in JP: OG you just had to research umbrellas and that was it, most guests bought them and were more satisfied that way. Speaking of which...

In-depth guest satisfaction and thoughts (JP: OG style)
Back in JP: OG we could click on any guest we wished and see some of his/her thoughts on the park and satisfaction levels. Unfortunately we can't do that here... It's a real shame, because that really did play a huge part in your park's performance and rating. Now you only have to have a lot of hotels, a monorail for these lazy schmucks and something to quench their "food", "drink", "fun", and "shopping" needs. In JP: OG we could see if someone liked the park and if not, why exactly. And sometimes even when the park was perfectly laid out we could still find someone complaining - just like in real life. We could also see what they like. If they came to the park for thrills, to analyse and contemplate nature, or just to have some casual fun, taking selfies (yeah I know back then there were no selfies in JP: OG but you get the drill).

Add kids to the park!
As much as I don't really like kids, it's weird to see that there are only adults visiting the park. I do appreciate the fact that there are different people visitng including scientists and what looks like military men? But still, I'd love to see some kids! There's a toy shop in our park for crying out loud! It would basically add to the realism.

Guests can litter the park, can get tired etc.
As mentioned before we could add benches, fountains, trash cans and other stuff to the paths. And if you add them make them not only decorations but also interactive objects. In JP: OG the guests could leave their trash all over your park and you had to build cleaning stations and hire cleaners to clean the place up. In JW:E the park is always impeccable no matter what... Also they don't get tired. We get less rating points if there is no monorail system for them to use, but there's nothing like tired visitors wanting to sit down.

Pack hunting for small predators
Okay so I'm not gonna be the first one to admit: we want pack hunting for small predators. Why are fights and hunting always limited to 1V1 skirmishes? Wouldn't it be cool and accurate to see a pack of Velociraptors attack a hadrosaur or ceratops?

More natural behaviour for carnivores and herbivores
What I mean by this is that herbivores do graze in their spare time but it's just an animation and nothing more. We need a status "grazing" for them! It needs to decrease their hunger as well. Maybe not significantly (that would defeat the purpose of feeders) but by a small amound at least. The same goes for big herbivores, they should be eating leaves off local trees.
With carnivores the situation is slightly different. They are extremely violent even if their genome is 100% natural and not fiddled with. I guess that's ok but if you wish to have one gigantic enclosure where the dinosaurs run free it starts posing problems. The carnivores start killing just for the sake of it, even when not hungry. And there are no scavengers! I think that if a pack of Raptors would encounter a carcass of a dino it would readily eat some meat from it - because they're not wasting any precious energy that way. Now when a dinosaur is killed, it can feed only 1 carnivore and that's it. The carrion is then left to rot and spread diseases. Instead it could serve - I don't know - maybe 3 more carnivores (especially small ones), as meal. That would be more realistic and would make it easier to house herbivores and carnivores together. Look at lions - they don't always hunt, sometimes there's just no need for that. And carnivores in game should be like that. Not killing machines all the time but sometimes calming down.

Sleeping dinos
And speaking of "calming down", how about sleeping dinosaurs? In JP: OG there were a total of 12 different statuses for each dino including sleeping, defecating and even flocking! Ill dinos also went comatose sometimes! Here we have only a handful of very simple interactions and some cool animations for them and they don't sleep at all! I know, you decided to go with permanent-time-of-day solution but everyone needs some sleep! It could be a nice idea to add a day and night cycle option to the sandbox settings on Isla Nublar.

Fish, eggs, and other diets
Ok so I get it, neither here, nor in JP: OG were there more than just two diet types for the dinos. But come on! This is the next generation JP game! Make Baryonyx eat fish that it finds in the water! Add an Oviraptor and make it steal some bird eggs! Or even add this feature to Gallimimus, Struthiomimus and Archeornithomimus! Make some slight changes to the dino diets! And again - not as a full replacement for the feeders but a variety of sources for the dinos to gain nutrients from. Just like the grazing herbivores mentioned earlier! You know, there were dinosaurs which were omnivorous.

Additional functionality for the division visitor centers
First off I think that the science and security divisions got screwed when choosing the designs for their respective visitor centers :p they look almost like an fossil/research center/ranger station! Not nearly as impressive as entertainment center. But that aside - why do these centers only stand there, generate money and look pretty? They fill so much space (especially the entertainment one) and for just a financial bonus which is completely unnecessary as you quickly start gaining millions on every island in no-time! Give them some additional functionality! Make them interactable! Maybe even allow us to see what's inside?
My idea for a simple solution to this is:
-entertainment center = inGen database access
-science center = genetic library access
-security center = more in-depth ranger/ACU scheduling screen
Or something else, ANYTHING. Make the database more in-depth so that this idea would work better or figure something for those buildings.

Give access to genetic library through the control room or other menus
Right now we can only access the library via Hammond Creation Labs. And initially it's fine, but when you have to juggle between different funcions in a hurry it's getting annoying. Also it's weird that I have to scroll the entire map to find a HCL to click on and then I can see how much genome of each dino I have and what mods I installed. Geez.

More functionality for the ACU copter
So the ranger Jeeps do all the work and the ACU helicopters are only used for tranquilising dinosaurs... Well... In JP: OG it did everything so I guess it's fair... somehow.... I mean, why not divide the functions of security between the rangers and the ACU? Right now the ACU does ONE thing!

Jurassic Safari here I come!
With the behavioural tweaks I think it would be way easier to create a so-called "Jurassic Safari" with one humongous enclosure housing all your dinosaurs running wild with only gyrospheres and maybe Jeeps driving among them. It's an amazing concept which I managed to fulfil in JP: OG as the dinos had more statuses and were more peaceful most of the time when idle. The only thing that I didn't like was the fact that there was a limit of 60 dinosaurs in the park and even the custom islands were very small.

As you can see all of my ideas for improvements for QOL and additional stuff making the game better are not unrealistic. They all connect to each other and make sense, by also remembering how hard programming games actually is.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I'm right there with you on a 1993 DLC. Unfortunately the jeep skin was most likely only included because it was featured Jurassic World (2015). You'll find the model in the game has the same number:
jeep.jpg

Hopefully Frontier will hear us out and release DLC with building skins and features from the original film. It's one of the common requests in the wishlist. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I'm right there with you on a 1993 DLC. Unfortunately the jeep skin was most likely only included because it was featured Jurassic World (2015). You'll find the model in the game has the same number:

Hopefully Frontier will hear us out and release DLC with building skins and features from the original film. It's one of the common requests in the wishlist. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Jeep 29 was used in the first Jurassic Park. It's one of the famous jeeps that were used to carry Hammond and Gennaror. So it wasn't in JW only. It's supposed to be one of the original jeeps from the first park.

http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Jeep_29

I get that you want to read more into it. I'll remain carefully optimistic. Hopefully more people bring it up in the wishlist, since the devs are looking at it.

I don't really read anything into it. But I figure a 1993 JP DLC is bound to happen eventually. I would gladly give Frontier $10 or even $15 for it.

There are a lot of things I'd love to see added as possibilities from JP stuff.

I'd love a pack that would include the InGen chopper skin, the tracked tour vehicle (one that can be outside of pens and grants visibility along it), a visitors center (could even be used as the hub for the explorer tour vehicles), mix in a few of the dinosaurs from the books and JP: The Game...Herrerasaurus, Troodon, and some of the ones from the book.

Perhaps also a helipad option where you can transport guests around...or at least rescue the idiots that somehow wander into pens from time to time. Added problems that could pop up to expand the use would be things like sick guests needing an emergency evacuation.

Other tour vehicles would be great for different things, the balloons from OpGen were cool, but you also have the larger offroader from JW and the river stuff which could have different versions (Larger tour boat and the smaller kayak option...the kayak one being for pens with less dangerous dinosaurs, or at least ones that aren't going to be swimming out to the path).

Prequel Missions

I had an idea for prequel missions (that probably no one read).
Seeing as how this post is making the rounds (and rightfully so), I'll share the idea I had in-mind to keep in the theme of 1993.

Prequel Missions
ObYZEOG.jpg
These are some ideas I had for post-Nublar content.

While this game does offer the ability to create our dream dinosaur park on all 5 of the islands, what if there was a New Game+ situation where players could make THE Dream Park?

Scenario A: Site B
The year is 1989. You take on the role of an unnamed InGen associate that was appointed to aid John Hammond in making his dinosaur park a reality.
Your mission is to set up operations on the island of Isla Sorna complete with Living Quarters for the works (a possible add-on feature), Research Centers, Creation Labs, Expedition Centers, and holding pens for all the animals that will be shipped to the main island (Isla Nublar).

You will have to excavate fossils based on records of real-world dig sites from 1993 and earlier dates.
You could stick to the known InGen list of dinosaurs or you could go to town by breeding whatever the heck you dig up.

This scenario will probably be a bit unorthodox when compared to the vanilla game mechanics since you'll probably have to rely on contracts and sell-able minerals for extra income due to the absence of guests.

Speaking of contracts, instead of the associates featured in the game, you would get the following...

- John Hammond in place of Cabot Finch. While no one can truly replace the late, great, Richard Attenborough, he could be voiced by either his brother (David Attenborough) or someone that convincingly sounds like John Hammond.

- John Arnold in the Head of Security role (with Samuel Jackson reprising his role if you guys can afford him)

- Robert Muldoon playing the help tips role similar to what Owen does in the vanilla game.

- Ed Regis for Head of Entertainment (that guy with the hat that drove the jeep in the first half of JP). He could probably be voiced by anyone since he didn't have any dialogue in the film.

- Young Henry Wu as Head of Science (voiced by a young person obviously).

- Dennis Nedry (voiced by Wayne Knight) would take Wu's place as the antagonizing character. Instead of being bitter all the time (like Wu was) he could be smug and full of himself like he was in the original movie. Granted, any sabotage that occurs will probably be him but, he'll predictably accuse other people and get away with it (because we already know what happens).

Scenario B: Isla Nublar
After finishing Scenario A, the player would be moved to the main island where they would be tasked by John Hammond to build his park.
There would be a series of missions and contracts that involve building the locations from the original park as well as locations that were either in the film or the novel (which is where the other wish list request comes into play).

The player would have to follow through with all of these tasks while also staying on their toes to overcome chaotic events like tropical storms, corporate rivals, unruly dinosaurs (like the Big One), and maintaining plenty of counter-measures to prevent the events of the first film from happening (the incident).

Scenario C and D: San Diego and Orlando
These scenarios are hit-or-miss as they could imply that the off-site locations would become realities after the success of the Jurassic Park.
Ergo, an alternate time line.

Scenario E: The Legacy Continues
The time of the game skips back to near present-day.
John Hammond has sadly passed away and he left the park in the ownership of the player instead of his nephew, Peter Ludlow (who is still alive in this timeline).

The player is tasked with upgrading the original park (the game would load the player's original park layout and assets) with modernized features from the base game in conjunction to the classic Jurassic Park features (i.e. no Visitor Center ruins).
The divisions would then feature a mix of new and old with older John Arnold still as head of Security, Henry Wu (not as an antagonist) as the head of Science, and Isaac Clement as the head of Entertainment.

The player would even be able to research new content and even breed the JP3 Spinosaurus and the Indominus Rex as risky contracts from Wu (even if they do go against Hammond's vision).

I had an idea for prequel missions (that probably no one read).
Seeing as how this post is making the rounds (and rightfully so), I'll share the idea I had in-mind to keep in the theme of 1993.

Prequel Missions
These are some ideas I had for post-Nublar content.

While this game does offer the ability to create our dream dinosaur park on all 5 of the islands, what if there was a New Game+ situation where players could make THE Dream Park?

Scenario A: Site B
The year is 1989. You take on the role of an unnamed InGen associate that was appointed to aid John Hammond in making his dinosaur park a reality.
Your mission is to set up operations on the island of Isla Sorna complete with Living Quarters for the works (a possible add-on feature), Research Centers, Creation Labs, Expedition Centers, and holding pens for all the animals that will be shipped to the main island (Isla Nublar).

You will have to excavate fossils based on records of real-world dig sites from 1993 and earlier dates.
You could stick to the known InGen list of dinosaurs or you could go to town by breeding whatever the heck you dig up.

This scenario will probably be a bit unorthodox when compared to the vanilla game mechanics since you'll probably have to rely on contracts and sell-able minerals for extra income due to the absence of guests.

Speaking of contracts, instead of the associates featured in the game, you would get the following...

- John Hammond in place of Cabot Finch. While no one can truly replace the late, great, Richard Attenborough, he could be voiced by either his brother (David Attenborough) or someone that convincingly sounds like John Hammond.

- John Arnold in the Head of Security role (with Samuel Jackson reprising his role if you guys can afford him)

- Robert Muldoon playing the help tips role similar to what Owen does in the vanilla game.

- Ed Regis for Head of Entertainment (that guy with the hat that drove the jeep in the first half of JP). He could probably be voiced by anyone since he didn't have any dialogue in the film.

- Young Henry Wu as Head of Science (voiced by a young person obviously).

- Dennis Nedry (voiced by Wayne Knight) would take Wu's place as the antagonizing character. Instead of being bitter all the time (like Wu was) he could be smug and full of himself like he was in the original movie. Granted, any sabotage that occurs will probably be him but, he'll predictably accuse other people and get away with it (because we already know what happens).

Scenario B: Isla Nublar
After finishing Scenario A, the player would be moved to the main island where they would be tasked by John Hammond to build his park.
There would be a series of missions and contracts that involve building the locations from the original park as well as locations that were either in the film or the novel (which is where the other wish list request comes into play).

The player would have to follow through with all of these tasks while also staying on their toes to overcome chaotic events like tropical storms, corporate rivals, unruly dinosaurs (like the Big One), and maintaining plenty of counter-measures to prevent the events of the first film from happening (the incident).

Scenario C and D: San Diego and Orlando
These scenarios are hit-or-miss as they could imply that the off-site locations would become realities after the success of the Jurassic Park.
Ergo, an alternate time line.

Scenario E: The Legacy Continues
The time of the game skips back to near present-day.
John Hammond has sadly passed away and he left the park in the ownership of the player instead of his nephew, Peter Ludlow (who is still alive in this timeline).

The player is tasked with upgrading the original park (the game would load the player's original park layout and assets) with modernized features from the base game in conjunction to the classic Jurassic Park features (i.e. no Visitor Center ruins).
The divisions would then feature a mix of new and old with older John Arnold still as head of Security, Henry Wu (not as an antagonist) as the head of Science, and Isaac Clement as the head of Entertainment.

The player would even be able to research new content and even breed the JP3 Spinosaurus and the Indominus Rex as risky contracts from Wu (even if they do go against Hammond's vision).

I would love to do this even if we had to just read text for all the characters. I played RPG's in the past so I have no problem reading text in games.

Well everybody is talking about the aquatic and flying dinosaurs... Let's say they were a part of the game. How would you stop a loose flying dinosaur from just flying away from the island? Should they just disappear? Will you get fined if they make it to the main land? Same with the aquatic dinosaurs. If they escape into open ocean. I'm glad they didn't include them actually.

And I would personally never use an "island generator". Takes everything away from the actual islands in the JP franchise. Would make no sense to me. I agree they could make Nublar bigger though. And on another note, I've seen people with all the dinosaurs on Nublar, so it is possible.

And I don't think they included kids, because of age limitations. Kids getting eating are not a very good look.

Again I think it would be a waste of time to add grazing and stuff like that. They do it anyways. Yes they might not affect their "bars", but who cares. Scavengers would be cool though.
And I don't see the carnivores as being too aggresive. Animals in captivity are not very functional. And killing sprees often occur in real life as well, especially over territory. So it makes sense it's like that in the game. You wouldn't mix lions and cows in a zoo would you? You already know all of those cows are dead.

Sleeping would be nice, but only if we had a day/night cycle. Which I actually miss a little bit like most of the people playing.

Fishing should def be added for Spinosaurus, Baryonyx etc. Agree on that!

I can agree to some of your points OP. Good post! :D

- Dennis Nedry (voiced by Wayne Knight) would take Wu's place as the antagonizing character.

I absolutely HATE what they did to Wu in JW... he was just a scientist in both first film and the novel but they just had to pull-off this stupid "I'm a villain now! Muahaha!" on us because "surprise plot twist" needs to appear even if it's not surprising at all… I just hate that they did to him, probably only to anger JP fans...

Well everybody is talking about the aquatic and flying dinosaurs... Let's say they were a part of the game. How would you stop a loose flying dinosaur from just flying away from the island? Should they just disappear? Will you get fined if they make it to the main land? Same with the aquatic dinosaurs. If they escape into open ocean. I'm glad they didn't include them actually.

And I would personally never use an "island generator". Takes everything away from the actual islands in the JP franchise. Would make no sense to me. I agree they could make Nublar bigger though. And on another note, I've seen people with all the dinosaurs on Nublar, so it is possible.

And I don't think they included kids, because of age limitations. Kids getting eating are not a very good look.

Again I think it would be a waste of time to add grazing and stuff like that. They do it anyways. Yes they might not affect their "bars", but who cares. Scavengers would be cool though.
And I don't see the carnivores as being too aggresive. Animals in captivity are not very functional. And killing sprees often occur in real life as well, especially over territory. So it makes sense it's like that in the game. You wouldn't mix lions and cows in a zoo would you? You already know all of those cows are dead.

Sleeping would be nice, but only if we had a day/night cycle. Which I actually miss a little bit like most of the people playing.

Thanks! Well as far as lions and cows go - yes I wouldn't place them in the same paddock but when I want to create a large, almost completely open biological preserve emulating natural habitat I can't see why they would only attack and attack and attack without taking a break. No animal does that living in the wild. But I guess that this one fence all over this huge stretch of land is just too much for them and they figure "oh, I'm not in the wild, I'm in a zoo so I need to act like it!"
Yeah, I've seen those videos of people filling Nublar with all dinos at once but then you have almost no dinosaur visibility and it doesn't look like a park anymore but a grid of paddocks one next to the other. That's why I wanted to make a Jurassic Safari. It gives way more possibilities when it comes to satisfying visitors and planning gyro routes, as well as it looks and feels more like a real place not a dino factory with grids of enclosures like a farming field made for the sake of the argument. The thing is that in JPOG you could pull it off because the dinos weren't fighting all the time when put together.

Oh yes, the dreaded political correctness. Can't show kids die, I should've figured as much. Well… I guess they'd lose Universal's blessing if they did this.

I guess filling the bars is not important so much but the herbivore feeders seem a bit unrealistic. I know in JPOG they also included them but they explicitly explained that it's because modern plants cannot be digested properly by the dinosaurs. I guess I'm nit-picking on this, but I do think it would be cool to at least fill some of the hunger bar by this. Just like spinosauridae fishing would be cool, etc.

Island generator or more building space. Isla Nublar is too small and Sorna with it's huge mountain in the middle is also very limiting. I mentioned that I like what they did with the islands, but I think a reasonable solution would be to allow us to edit Nublar.

But first they have to fix the weather not functioning on Nublar am I right? [big grin]

Well… the films themselves never explain what happens to pterosaurs that flew away from the island. We can see some in TLW:JP and in JP3 and we're supposed to assume they can't fly this far away from Sorna? A bit far-fetched if you ask me.
Not sure what kind of penalty would we get for letting them loose but the game is easy as it is so maybe some challenging consequences should be in order?

Last edited:

Add aviaries like in the film, book, and Zoo Tycoon: Dino Digs but with a more fleshed out enclosure system that involves building large cages instead of paddocks.
As for containment...the helicopters? lol
Maybe include kids but, not have them killable. Skyrim logic it.

I absolutely HATE what they did to Wu in JW... he was just a scientist in both first film and the novel but they just had to pull-off this stupid "I'm a villain now! Muahaha!" on us because "surprise plot twist" needs to appear even if it's not surprising at all… I just hate that they did to him, probably only to anger JP fans...

Look on the brightside, he lived longer than his book counterpart who (spoiler alert for a 20+ year old book) died in the first book lol
But joking aside, I expected him to at least have a gruesome death. HOWEVER, there's the slim chance that he escaped with wounds that left him in critical condition.

Look on the brightside, he lived longer than his book counterpart who (spoiler alert for a 20+ year old book) died in the first book lol
But joking aside, I expected him to at least have a gruesome death. HOWEVER, there's the slim chance that he escaped with wounds that left him in critical condition.

Hah, I guess that's somewhat of a bright side :D anyway I think your ideas about kids and aviary would work and the prequel missions sound great!

There are a lot of things I'd love to see added as possibilities from JP stuff.

I'd love a pack that would include the InGen chopper skin, the tracked tour vehicle (one that can be outside of pens and grants visibility along it), a visitors center (could even be used as the hub for the explorer tour vehicles), mix in a few of the dinosaurs from the books and JP: The Game...Herrerasaurus, Troodon, and some of the ones from the book.

Perhaps also a helipad option where you can transport guests around...or at least rescue the idiots that somehow wander into pens from time to time. Added problems that could pop up to expand the use would be things like sick guests needing an emergency evacuation.

Other tour vehicles would be great for different things, the balloons from OpGen were cool, but you also have the larger offroader from JW and the river stuff which could have different versions (Larger tour boat and the smaller kayak option...the kayak one being for pens with less dangerous dinosaurs, or at least ones that aren't going to be swimming out to the path).

InGen chopper skin is a nice idea, would definitely use that all the time.

Hah, I guess that's somewhat of a bright side :D anyway I think your ideas about kids and aviary would work and the prequel missions sound great!

Thanks! I think making kids not killable is the best route because the parks ARE for kids and I feel that being able to bring our love of dinosaurs to children (even if they aren't real) is a big part of the thrill. Not just the chaos.

Top Bottom