Just made Combat Elite.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Am I in the minority who thinks making elite isn't really much of an accolade? You could spend every day killing harmless sidewinders and eventually get combat elite. It doesn't necessarily reflect combat skill.

OP already said he/she achieved elite by grinding scouts. Scouts are really easy to kill. Kind of proves how pointless it is.
Scouts are easy to kill after a player learns the skills to find them using the FSS, fly to a USS, kill them, fire at the right time with the right weapons while avoiding incoming fire and deal with caustic missiles and other scout variants damage sometimes taking on 6 or more scouts at once with another wave of 4 showing up. It gets more complex with the big Thargoid ships and a Guardian fixed weapon load out plus advanced flying skills using boost and FA off even in a Krait. Threat 4 is never the same. Every game play in this game is easy after a player has paid the price to figure out how to easily accomplish it. Take a stock ship and see how well one does against Thargoids. A lot of time, combat experience, engineering, pip management and thruster control gets to this easy mode. Getting there is never pointless.

Last edited:
Am I in the minority who thinks making elite isn't really much of an accolade? You could spend every day killing harmless sidewinders and eventually get combat elite. It doesn't necessarily reflect combat skill.

OP already said he/she achieved elite by grinding scouts. Scouts are really easy to kill. Kind of proves how pointless it is.
So you may choose your own way to 'achieve' such rank, why deride someone who did it his own way?

Well done @Hooplah !

This is about how you read "elite combat rank". It indeed sounds like "It's a pro pilot, he can build balanced piece of art combat ship, he is able to fight using very different ships using different combat styles, knows the game mechanics perfectly and uses the knowledge as advantage". But actually it is not. It is just time player spent killing other ships.
As an example, I've got elite after half year, just cause all I do in the game is killing npcs.

Last edited:

DeletedUser191218

D
Yes, completely pointless .... firing shafts of light across a flat screen ... no sense of achievement at all ... we should all play with our My Little Pony toys ... so much more meaningful.

And the answer to your question is yes.

What a weird response. You may care to read my post again and actually attempt to understand what I said. It's a reward for grind, nota reflection of ability. I don't think it's an achievement.

I'm doing elite combat the fast but dangerous way: ax combat zones. Class 4 uss are easy, ax conflict zones are not.

I fly around nuking the scouts with 2 gauss and finish them with 2 ax multis in my anaconda. When the interceptors show up I keep fighting the scouts and flakking the swarms, then usually have to run away. I have killed the smallest interceptors solo but imo doing it solo isn't rewarding enough so I stick with the scouts.

And the xeno scanner is ing useless with its 500m range, so my multi cannons are useless against the interceptors. If I was interceptor hunting I'd probably want 4 gauss cannons but then scouts end up with 4% hull and you have to shoot them with 4 gauss cannons.

My main character, that I've had forever, is triple elite and has all the fed and empire ranks. I got combat elite first, then trade, then exploration.

I recently bought a second account, and for this one, I made trade elite first, and am Pioneer rank in exploration, but only Master in combat. The only reason my combat rank is even that high is that I'm working on unlocking the engineer that wants you do be at least Dangerous.

Greetings,

I just made Combat Elite. Playing since 2014 more of a trader. I can supply the graphic if someone wants proof. Now I am finally triple Elite mostly being a trader then taking out Thargoid scouts in Pleiades Sector KC-V C2-11 6 LY from Merope. I picked this system because it is small never having to travel far to find scouts as well as plenty of the big Thargoid ships up to threat 8. I'll need lots of friends to take them out. It does have a nice orbiting station at Kipling orbital with 14 ships in the shipyard. My game play over the years says the more ships available at a station the better the outfitting. I haven't been disappointed.

But I did it the hard way with normal NPCs until I got to Deadly at 80 percent then went for the scouts. That last 20 percent was a grind and I often burned out taking a break going to the Forum to help others. Here is my Forum post taking out scouts as I learned along the way. So I'm done with Thargoids for awhile but maybe later I can help others keeping my dedicated Thargoid attack ships there. I dialed in the Krait Mk II for scouts and the big guys with the weapons stored at Kipling.

Now I'll get in my 60LY Asp Explorer returning to my home base at Adams Orbital in Beta-1 Tucanae and transfer my cargo Python I used to get allied with all the local factions in Kipling. Then what? I'm not sure. Over the years since 2014 I've tried everything in the game except being a serious criminal. Maybe it is time. For now I post my experiences hopefully to help out others but there is always a better player than me. Awaiting 2020 updates. But I smile posting my updated link to Inara.

Regards
Weill done o7

Greetings,

I just made Combat Elite. Playing since 2014 more of a trader. I can supply the graphic if someone wants proof. Now I am finally triple Elite mostly being a trader then taking out Thargoid scouts in Pleiades Sector KC-V C2-11 6 LY from Merope. I picked this system because it is small never having to travel far to find scouts as well as plenty of the big Thargoid ships up to threat 8. I'll need lots of friends to take them out. It does have a nice orbiting station at Kipling orbital with 14 ships in the shipyard. My game play over the years says the more ships available at a station the better the outfitting. I haven't been disappointed.

But I did it the hard way with normal NPCs until I got to Deadly at 80 percent then went for the scouts. That last 20 percent was a grind and I often burned out taking a break going to the Forum to help others. Here is my Forum post taking out scouts as I learned along the way. So I'm done with Thargoids for awhile but maybe later I can help others keeping my dedicated Thargoid attack ships there. I dialed in the Krait Mk II for scouts and the big guys with the weapons stored at Kipling.

Now I'll get in my 60LY Asp Explorer returning to my home base at Adams Orbital in Beta-1 Tucanae and transfer my cargo Python I used to get allied with all the local factions in Kipling. Then what? I'm not sure. Over the years since 2014 I've tried everything in the game except being a serious criminal. Maybe it is time. For now I post my experiences hopefully to help out others but there is always a better player than me. Awaiting 2020 updates. But I smile posting my updated link to Inara.

Regards
I only have like 9% to go but that's like 2000 ships in conflict zones and nowadays they "complete" after your side starts winning so you cant coast on the wave of victory anymore.

I'm doing elite combat the fast but dangerous way: ax combat zones. Class 4 uss are easy, ax conflict zones are not.

I fly around nuking the scouts with 2 gauss and finish them with 2 ax multis in my anaconda. When the interceptors show up I keep fighting the scouts and flakking the swarms, then usually have to run away. I have killed the smallest interceptors solo but imo doing it solo isn't rewarding enough so I stick with the scouts.

And the xeno scanner is ing useless with its 500m range, so my multi cannons are useless against the interceptors. If I was interceptor hunting I'd probably want 4 gauss cannons but then scouts end up with 4% hull and you have to shoot them with 4 gauss cannons.
Ah, another player style taking out Thargoids. Never trying this method myself I probably wouldn't be too good at it for awhile. My respect for your game play and love the Forum where we all can learn so many different ways to play.

Thanks for all the accolades. I hope that my posts help others a little. I'll never the the best or the worst.
As for negative posts if everyone agreed it wouldn't be the Frontier Forum. When that day comes I'll be
looking out the window to see if pigs can actually fly! :)

Oh, wait a minute...

Last edited:
Congrats Hooplah o7

Like dna-decay I think there are long term players who just play finally getting there. I'm 11% off myself, it'll happen when it does.

Right on Commander !

Actually only ships of up to 3 ranks below, equal to and above your current rank count towards progression with proportional effect. So no you can't achieve Elite by just killing Harmless Side winders.

Right on Commander !
Actually only ships of up to 3 ranks below, equal to and above your current rank count towards progression with proportional effect. So no you can't achieve Elite by just killing Harmless Side winders.
Explorer and Trader Elite are all about credits. There are many posts who don't like that. Combat Elite is all about skill points. How a player gets there is up to them. Players like me who offer a way to get there might help others in their journey. Did players like Rambojambo with negative comments ever help another player to succeed in the game? Maybe at one time he did but certainly not in this thread. Sometimes people on the Forum just want to make an argument. When we respond to them they win per the goal they were seeking. They hate it when we ignore them.

Regards

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom