Just made Combat Elite.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser191218

D
Right on Commander !

Actually only ships of up to 3 ranks below, equal to and above your current rank count towards progression with proportional effect. So no you can't achieve Elite by just killing Harmless Side winders.

But you can from shooting scouts that are one of the easiest targets in the game. It's still a reflection of grind as opposed to having much to do with combat skill. My point still stands.

This does imply a broader issue with ED and Frontier's seeming inability and/or reluctance to make any game mechanic about something other than time sink and grind....but that's perhaps a conversation for another thread.

DeletedUser191218

D
Explorer and Trader Elite are all about credits. There are many posts who don't like that. Combat Elite is all about skill points. How a player gets there is up to them. Players like me who offer a way to get there might help others in their journey. Did players like Rambojambo with negative comments ever help another player to succeed in the game? Maybe at one time he did but certainly not in this thread. Sometimes people on the Forum just want to make an argument. When we respond to them they win per the goal they were seeking. They hate it when we ignore them.

Regards

My contribution was never intended to offer assistance but it can be easily implied - worry about your actual combat skill, not a meaningless grind medal. Shooting scouts repeatedly to get to elite won't offer you much progress in your skill level. You are just wasting a lot of time not improving your combat ability.

There, that's my advice

My contribution was never intended to offer assistance but it can be easily implied - worry about your actual combat skill, not a meaningless grind medal. Shooting scouts repeatedly to get to elite won't offer you much progress in your skill level. You are just wasting a lot of time not improving your combat ability.

There, that's my advice
My fixed weapon skills have improved immensely as a result of fighting Scouts with rail guns in AXCZs.

Aiming at fast targets like the Scouts now makes it a lot easier when I fire rails and other fixed weapons at NPC ships.

Glad I didn't take your advice.

o7

DeletedUser191218

D
My fixed weapon skills have improved immensely as a result of fighting Scouts with rail guns in AXCZs.

Aiming at fast targets like the Scouts now makes it a lot easier when I fire rails and other fixed weapons at NPC ships.

Glad I didn't take your advice.

o7

Sure, you can improve in some capacity shooting the same paper thin but quick targets repeatedly. But it's limited, as should be intuitively obvious. If all you're doing is shooting small, easy to kill targets it should be obvious why you're probably not going to improve combat ability as much as if you were exposing yourself to other scenarios. Combat Zones, for eg, will offer a more challenging combat scenario where defensive strategy as important as well....not just how well you can aim with a fixed mc.

Although I can't say for certain I'm reasonably confident that, despite having 'combat elite', you're probably bang average at it.

Right on Commander !

Actually only ships of up to 3 ranks below, equal to and above your current rank count towards progression with proportional effect. So no you can't achieve Elite by just killing Harmless Side winders.

That's not true any more actually. Some time ago it was changed so that any kill, no matter the rank compared to your own contributes something towards combat rank progress. Even destroying skimmers nudges you up a tiny bit.

That is not to slight the achievement of getting combat Elite. It was my last Elite, and took me about four years and is a nice achievement no matter how you do it.

DeletedUser191218

D
That's not true any more actually. Some time ago it was changed so that any kill, no matter the rank compared to your own contributes something towards combat rank progress. Even destroying skimmers nudges you up a tiny bit.

That is not to slight the achievement of getting combat Elite. It was my last Elite, and took me about four years and is a nice achievement no matter how you do it.

I'm similarly not saying it means nothing. But let's acknowledge it for what it is. It rewards grinding out kills and doesn't necessarily reflect combat ability. You could be elite and suck or be expert and good. One would expect there to be corrolation between rank and ability but without having to fulfil skill bases requirements it's just a reflection of how much time you've spent killing things....in this case Thargoid scouts that are VERY easy to take down.

Sure, you can improve in some capacity shooting the same paper thin but quick targets repeatedly. But it's limited, as should be intuitively obvious. If all you're doing is shooting small, easy to kill targets it should be obvious why you're probably not going to improve combat ability as much as if you were exposing yourself to other scenarios. Combat Zones, for eg, will offer a more challenging combat scenario where defensive strategy as important as well....not just how well you can aim with a fixed mc.
Although I can't say for certain I'm reasonably confident that, despite having 'combat elite', you're probably bang average at it.
Ahh .... so your position now moves to "can improve in some capacity" then? I thought your "advice" was that it "won't offer you much progress in your skill level" ...
Must have misunderstood that quoted part of your statement.

I reached Elite after 4 years of diverse situations in usual play, I don't think AXCZs have been around that long :D

DeletedUser191218

D
So do I need to explain why 'much progress' and 'some capacity' aren't inconsistent concepts? I'm not here to offer tuition on understanding language. I suspect you know I'm correct.

I'm not interested in you justifying your ability. My point is elite status really doesn't mean much in terms of combat ability. I have no idea on your actual level but if shooting scouts feels a sufficient challenge then you're probably not 'elite', despite what the rank suggests.

So do I need to explain why 'much progress' and 'some capacity' aren't inconsistent concepts? I'm not here to offer tuition on understanding language. I suspect you know I'm correct.

I'm not interested in you justifying your ability. My point is elite status really doesn't mean much in terms of combat ability. I have no idea on your actual level but if shooting scouts feels a sufficient challenge then you're probably not 'elite', despite what the rank suggests.

Naturally, I am always open to the shifting "advice" which you offer, despite the minority standing of your opinion, so would you care to enlighten us as to how you, personally, reached Triple Elite ?

DeletedUser191218

D
Naturally, I am always open to the shifting "advice" which you offer, despite the minority standing of your opinion, so would you care to enlighten us as to how you, personally, reached Triple Elite ?

I'm not triple elite. I only really do combat and even then i only really get a challenge from the new buffed combat zones or Thargoid interceptors. As you are aware, my view of elite status is that it's a meaningless accolade. I believe I have made that clear.

Can you explain how my advice has shifted? And also, can you advise how my view that elite status reflects time spent over skill is 'minority', when we surely agree that's exactly what it is? I'm not convinced you thought your comment through.

I'm not triple elite. I only really do combat and even then i only really get a challenge from the new buffed combat zones or Thargoid interceptors. As you are aware, my view of elite status is that it's a meaningless accolade. I believe I have made that clear.

Can you explain how my advice has shifted? And also, can you advise how my view that elite status reflects time spent over skill is 'minority', when we surely agree that's exactly what it is? I'm not convinced you thought your comment through.
Thankyou for that honest revelation. I do feel we've made some progress in having this discussion.

In terms of 'minority', you asked previously if you were in a minority thinking Elite Combat was not an achievement and I believe you are.

In terms of shifting advice, see what we have discussed above ... when called out on Scout hunting not offering "much progress in your skill level" you then admit that it "can improve in some capacity." I'm not criticising you for adjusting your opinion in the light of a discussion, just that you appear to claim you haven't, which seems odd. But I'm not going to argue semantics, our differences would otherwise just keep going back and forth without profit.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom