Just some questions!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

So my first day here and thought i would ask just some questions, i have read through the forums but i need a clearer answer, so if anyone can assist i would gladly appreciate it! Also to the mods, im not 100% sure if this is the correct thread im in, i just used this one as this seems to be the question area :) so lets start!

1) Will PC have free/paid DLC or the use of micro-transactions?

2) Steam support?

3) From the videos it seems to be "free form". Can we lock onto a grid if we wish to do so, whether its to build a coaster or a pathway?

4) What exactly is the coaster head thing, and if i buy access to the beta, does this include the full game upon release or will that require a seperate purchase?

5) Has there been any mention towards system specs?

Thank you all for taking the time to read, i appreciate any help i can get, as i wish to know just these basics before i set off on the forums !

Last edited:

xyphic

Volunteer Moderator
Hi 007,

Will PC have free/paid DLC or the use of micro-transactions?
No word on this yet, but expect some sort of long-term monetisation strategy from Frontier. They're a small-medium sized studio working on two game franchises, Elite: Dangerous and Planet Coaster. They have long-term plans for ED, which will keep one half of the studio busy, and you can bet they've got plans for the other half too. ED has a cosmetic store where you can buy things like skins and bobbleheads for your ships, but nothing that gives you an advantage. It wouldn't surprise me if they sell themes for rides, stalls, etc. in the store for Planet Coaster with a set of expansions in the longer term.

Steam support?
Nothing confirmed yet. ED went onto Steam around 6 months after release and existing customers were able to generate a key. I would guess they'll release Planet Coaster on Steam near to release as it allows them to target a much larger customer base than otherwise (and that might be needed seeing as the Planet Coaster name isn't as recognisable as others in the genre).

From the videos it seems to be "free form". Can we lock onto a grid if we wish to do so, whether its to build a coaster or a pathway?
The second dev diary talks about modular building, and as part of that they have "local grids". These seem to be grids that can be rotated freeform then locked, so you can get the best of both worlds. I don't know if that applies to the coaster or paths, though some form of grid system for both would make a lot of sense.

What exactly is the coaster head thing, and if i buy access to the beta, does this include the full game upon release or will that require a seperate purchase?
The Coaster Head Club gives you access to a special set of forums where we get to see a bit of extra artwork, have Q&As with the team (though these aren't regular), and vote on the topic for what goes out on social media. They also aim to make an extended version of the developer diaries available to CHC members. Bear in mind that there's no NDA on the CHC so pretty much everything exclusive will tend to be reposted elsewhere sooner or later. The other things you get with CHC membership are a t-shirt and wristband, though those haven't shipped yet. You don't get a copy of the game with CHC; it's strictly an optional extra.

If you buy access to the Early Bird edition, you'll be able to play the game through all its phases (Alpha, Beta, Release). So no, if you buy Early Bird access you don't need to buy the game again later.

Has there been any mention towards system specs?
No. It's too early for that. When the Alpha is about to start, they'll release specifications for that, and generally speaking you'd expect the released version of the game to be better optimised so require a less powerful machine. To get an idea of what sort of machine Frontier's engine will run on, it's worth having a look at the specifications for Elite: Dangerous. That's not to say they won't be higher for Planet Coaster but you'd expect them to be in a similar sort of ballpark.

Thanks for your reply !

You have given me a good insight to this game now. I think i will buy access to the beta as well, hopefully through time the devs can confirm some points in my questions too, but you have given me some good info today :)

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Great so see those well detailed answers! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. [happy]

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom