General / Off-Topic Justin Bieber challenges Tom Cruise in a duel in a hand-to-hand fight.

Strong role models are crucial to young people in a world increasingly settling into a morass of decay. I would argue that the lack of proper role models both male and female are a big part of the reason why civilization is starting to backslide. And I never said that they have to come from the "elite" classes; decent parents would do for a start.
I agree that the image that the parents give to their children is essential.

Good education also.

But the children do not have to take the personality of their parents as a model.

The children have their own personality, not that of their parents.

For the eventual deviations, later there are the laws of justice.

Last edited:
I agree that the image that the parents give to their children is essential.

Good education also.

But the children do not have to take the personality of their parents as a model.

The children have their own personality, not that of their parents.

For the eventual deviations, later there are the laws of justice.
I think you're confused about what a "role model" actually is Patrick. No one is saying that children/young people shouldn't have their own identities, but if you don't think that without strong teachers and yes, role models, these children will just magically turn out to be the best, strongest, most moral people that they can possibly be simply by existing and making things up as they go, you're sadly mistaken. All I can figure is that there must be some sort of language gap where whatever "role model" translates out to in your native tongue is way different than mine.

Who is the best judge of one's own success, if not one's self?
Not really: Either we are egotists and therefore; we will big ourselves up and be the best at everything. Or, as with most humans, self analysis, mostly ends up only finding the negative side of things.

Not really: Either we are egotists and therefore; we will big ourselves up and be the best at everything. Or, as with most humans, self analysis, mostly ends up only finding the negative side of things.

While I am acutely aware of my own flaws...and there are many, that I work toward improving upon every day...I also see more of what I want to be, in my current self, than I have ever seen in anyone, or in any composite of others.

Anyway, if someone is a pure egoist and can do no wrong in their own mind, they are probably pretty happy; all the more power to them. Sometimes I think I'd even envy that sort of contentment.

I have a lot of respect for Tom Cruise. YES, I know, he's in with that Scientology rubbish, which I honestly find scary, I mean, they wield a lot of power and money, and are shady as heck .... but Tom Cruise the guy, the actor, the stuntman, him I respect. And he must have been made aware by now of Beiber's challenge. There's no way no-one's told him about it. He must know, and to have dismissed it as simply not even worthy of acknowledgement .... THAT is how you treat idiots like Beiber (who can't even get "you're" right).

As I said, I have a lot of respect for Tom Cruise.

Strong role models are crucial to young people in a world increasingly settling into a morass of decay. I would argue that the lack of proper role models both male and female are a big part of the reason why civilization is starting to backslide. And I never said that they have to come from the "elite" classes; decent parents would do for a start.
For there to be role models there need to be ideals.
The traditional ideals are suffering under the weight of inquiry of various kinds, we need to develop a humanist ideology, free of theism and nationalism.

The traditional ideals are suffering under the weight of inquiry of various kinds, we need to develop a humanist ideology, free of theism and nationalism.
The above quote is my post of the month... at least.

Well said.

I'm dubious of any ideology that would claim to be universally applicable, but I have little doubt that theism and nationalism (built by kings, priests, and generals, for the benefit of the same, at the expense of everyone else) are certainly some of the worst of civilization's innovations.

I'm dubious of any ideology that would claim to be universally applicable, but I have little doubt that theism and nationalism (built by kings, priests, and generals, for the benefit of the same, at the expense of everyone else) are certainly some of the worst of civilization's innovations.
First thing we should get rid of is Traditionalism? :p

Top Bottom