JWE on Nintendo Switch discussion

Well, from the trailer on Reddit, only new things I picked out seemed to be the black helicopter, so it might be just another system exclusive skin set...

Hopefully, there's a few other things so we'll get at least 1 more DLC for the rest of us, and hoping we'll at least get a skins pack (The other versions vehicles and, for console players, the ankylosaurus skin).

But this is kind of disappointing with so long with nothing only to have what seems like a "We're done with the game now" which is what Complete versions tend to be...

Destructoid posted this recently. The op journalist and some others actually interviewed Frontier who were able to explain a couple of details about the behind the scenes of the Switch port and even about the limit of how many dinosaurs you can have in a park while playing it.

It was a rather pleasantly surprising e-mail. I already have the game on Steam, but if there is a cartridge version produced, I'll more than likely pick it up for the Switch as well for my daughter. She's a bit young to grasp and execute park management, but she likes seeing the dinos and such of course. And well, you know, she's growing up a little more every day.

Cheers.

Destructoid posted this recently. The op journalist and some others actually interviewed Frontier who were able to explain a couple of details about the behind the scenes of the Switch port and even about the limit of how many dinosaurs you can have in a park while playing it.

The dinosaur limit is giving me flashbacks of JPOG on the PS2 with it's 60 dinosaur limit, but 100 dinosaurs ain't that bad. From a technical point, it is impressive given that it is a portable game.

I also ran the numbers of if the player want to have all species in a park with the lowest social needs met, it surpasses the 100 limit by roughly 30 dinosaurs. However, given that the secrets of Dr.Wu DLC is in the game with the social gene modifications, players should be able to have a park with all dinosaur species at roughly 71 dinosaurs, with 29 extra on the switch. I might be getting this game just to see it function on the switch. It is looking awesome 👍

jurassic-world-evolution-complete-edition-switch-screenshot05.jpg

One interesting thing I see is that there is a new icon at the very bottom of the list of icons, underneath the bulldozer icon.

I thought it was a settings option or something due to the gear shape, however the switch has a pause button that could be used to access the settings in the game like other platforms, and there is a yellow notification icon on it that indicates that something new is available from that tab, like how stuff is researched. What do you think this could mean?

One interesting thing I see is that there is a new icon at the very bottom of the list of icons, underneath the bulldozer icon.

I thought it was a settings option or something due to the gear shape, however the switch has a pause button that could be used to access the settings in the game like other platforms, and there is a yellow notification icon on it that indicates that something new is available from that tab, like how stuff is researched. What do you think this could mean?
Not sure, maybe it's a collection of the tutorial prompts? I certainly know it'd be nice to not have them pop up when you've seen them before.

Not sure, maybe it's a collection of the tutorial prompts? I certainly know it'd be nice to not have them pop up when you've seen them before.
Oh like help screens where they pop up every time you click on a major building or when a dinosaur dies? There is a means to remove them in the gameplay settings. Just tick "disable help screens".

But as a function, I don't think so. A lot of major buildings would have the right analogue be the button to open up the help screen. The switch has its analogue sticks clickable. Plus all tutorials and helps are archived in the pause screen.

View attachment 185934

Huh? I never noticed that. So many questions I have on what it might be, but I will say just one. Maybe it's Switch exclusive?

I sure hope they don't make features "Exclusive" to the switch! That would suck...
There are a few "feature focuses" explicitly for the Switch release that are going to be coming out over the next couple of months, so that very much looks like it could be the case (realistically there's going to be a reason if something's only on the Switch, like maybe reduced timers to compensate for there being a battery life and the known? 100 dinosaur limit to compensate for performance a bit).

I imagine for the most part though, it's mainly going to be recaps of features already present, for people new to the game (the main part of the first one was listing all the DLC)

For the sake of portable building, they better make this ONE addition: Have a snapping option to paths for fences and building entrances.
These other basic improvements should also help.
A square meter counter in forest, grassland, and wetland for enclosures.
Make all dinosaurs have a wetland requirement (it could be small but they still need to drink).
Allow unarmored herbivores to have a 50% chance of dodging a carnivore attack.

Last edited:
Buttom icon is developer's debug menu. Content from trailer is from devkit build most propablly.
Placeable monorail entrance is also from debug capatibilities, many promotion images has entrance/tunnel somewhere different...

Looks like we made a whoopsie! That's a debug menu that we've used for testing the game. I don't know how it snuck itself into our screenshots, but somehow it did.
I just personally think Frontier should make their own dinosaur Zoo game not affiliated with universal, this way you guys could have more creative freedom to do with dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures and not be held back by Universal.🙂.... besides my friend dinosaurs and prehistoric mammals and other prehistoric creatures are more popular than modern animals like what we see in Planet zoo.

Title idea: Planet Prehistoric

Last edited:
I just personally think Frontier should make their own dinosaur Zoo game not affiliated with universal, this way you guys could have more creative freedom to do with dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures and not be held back by Universal.🙂.... besides my friend dinosaurs and prehistoric mammals and other prehistoric creatures are more popular than modern animals like what we see in Planet zoo.

While Universal does have a say in what goes on, it's pretty clear that Frontier aren't under their thumb, they've been free to use their own models like the Velociraptors, Carnotaurus & hotels for example (the one real exception seems to be the general idea of theming and the mixing of themes, which is a shame, but doesn't necessarily eliminate things like painting buildings different colours). A much more likely limitation is the console release at launch and potentially a shortened development time to begin with.

The main effect of the Jurassic brand has been the decrease in value for money compared to the planet series on the consumer end (though that may be a symptom of having to go above and beyond to attract customers for the Planet series), but massively increased sales compared to it on the company end, so there's certainly incentive to keep it branded.

Doing an unbranded thing and releasing it close to Dominion is undercutting Universal and a pretty safe way to never work with them again, so they'd have to avoid that time somehow. One of the benefits of an unbranded game is the ability to work with multiple brands for DLC, like Planet Coaster did, except there aren't really any other current, major dinosaur brands.

That game already exists and it is called Prehistoric Kingdom. It is an indie developed game that is commonly seen as Planet Zoo with scientifically accurate prehistoric creatures as the main animals. It has been in development for some time, I believe since late 2016, and it may enter early access later this year for PC and Mac OS. So that's another awesome dinosaur game to look forward to! 🦖

Top Bottom