Roller Coasters Karacho from Tripsdrill and a question you may answer :)

Hello, This is version nr. 2 and far away from finished, but i fixed some outstanding problems. One problem that i still have is shown at the end of the video. Is there a possibility to change the color of a light via trigger? I really got mad because of this. Now it's just Red green and yellow mixed together instead of first clean red, then clean yellow, then clean green. If you know how to fix it please tell me! At the very end of the video you can clearly see what i mean! :) I just noticed it's a bit confusing what i wrote. Now i placed 3 lights on another to create the effect i need. But i only want one that keeps changing color, to have a cleaner effect. How do i do that?

[video=youtube;LjF9d5sYU5I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjF9d5sYU5I[/video]

I"m not sure the color of a light is something you can change with a trigger, just whether or not the light is on or off. So yeah, I think you're stuck with using 3 separate lights, 1 for each color, and 4 triggers:#1 turns on 1st light#2 turns off 1st light and turns on 2nd light#3 turns off 2nd light and turns on 3rd light#4 turns off 3rd light.

.....One problem that i still have is shown at the end of the video. Is there a possibility to change the color of a light via trigger? I really got mad because of this. Now it's just Red green and yellow mixed together instead of first clean red, then clean yellow, then clean green. If you know how to fix it please tell me! At the very end of the video you can clearly see what i mean! :) I just noticed it's a bit confusing what i wrote. Now i placed 3 lights on another to create the effect i need. But i only want one that keeps changing color, to have a cleaner effect. How do i do that?

To do the colored lights, you need to time everything. You can't change the color on a light with a trigger as far as I know, but just like you have done, you can use 3 separate lights which are the colors you want. You can use one trigger point, but you'll need to time the delays for the triggered items and the light duration correctly on the lights themselves.

You can decide on the time and the order of the colors, but for this, I will assume 2 seconds for each light and go from Green to yellow to red. First set each light to a duration of 2 seconds. (You probably alredy know, but just in case: this is done on the light itself, not in the coaster trigger screen). Then when programing the triggers set Green to turn on with 0 delay, Yellow to turn on with 2 second delay, and the read to have a 4 second delay. This should sequence them to turn on AND off at the right times. Adjust the numbers appropriately if you wanted it to be 5 seconds each or something. Sometimes it's handy to change the names of each of your lights to say their color. So much easier to select the right one when adding the trigger items.

Unfortunately, the lights have that annoying feature that even when they are off, they look like they are turned on when looking at their face. ...they don't flood light out when off, but you do see them. To eliminate this, you can select them and use control X and then push them just behind the wall. The light generated by each will pass right through walls so it will still light your tunnel, but the annoying base color won't be seen at all

I hope this helps, some of these triggers get a little complicated, I have been working on a ride with lightning and trying to time the lights, the sparks, the explosion, and the speakers gets pretty tricky. At one point the thunder was happening before the lightning....LOL.....fail! Fixed now.

Last edited:
To do the colored lights, you need to time everything. You can't change the color on a light with a trigger as far as I know, but just like you have done, you can use 3 separate lights which are the colors you want. You can use one trigger point, but you'll need to time the delays for the triggered items and the light duration correctly on the lights themselves.

You can decide on the time and the order of the colors, but for this, I will assume 2 seconds for each light and go from Green to yellow to red. First set each light to a duration of 2 seconds. (You probably alredy know, but just in case: this is done on the light itself, not in the coaster trigger screen). Then when programing the triggers set Green to turn on with 0 delay, Yellow to turn on with 2 second delay, and the read to have a 4 second delay. This should sequence them to turn on AND off at the right times. Adjust the numbers appropriately if you wanted it to be 5 seconds each or something. Sometimes it's handy to change the names of each of your lights to say their color. So much easier to select the right one when adding the trigger items.

Unfortunately, the lights have that annoying feature that even when they are off, they look like they are turned on when looking at their face. ...they don't flood light out when off, but you do see them. To eliminate this, you can select them and use control X and then push them just behind the wall. The light generated by each will pass right through walls so it will still light your tunnel, but the annoying base color won't be seen at all

I hope this helps, some of these triggers get a little complicated, I have been working on a ride with lightning and trying to time the lights, the sparks, the explosion, and the speakers gets pretty tricky. At one point the thunder was happening before the lightning....LOL.....fail! Fixed now.

Ok first of all thank you. The way i do it right now is the way the real coaster does it so i'll stick with that atleast for now. The triggers are now set really good and work as i expected. But as i read out of your explanation is that you can't totally shut them off? That sucks really i thought there would be a handy way to do so. I guess i'll stick with the solution that i push them just behind the wall. Then i use some misc prop to atleast simulate the traffic light because the coaster is also operated on daylight. One other question remains. How can i make it dark inside of interiors? Do i have to "dig" them into the ground to make them dark?

Ok first of all thank you. The way i do it right now is the way the real coaster does it so i'll stick with that atleast for now. The triggers are now set really good and work as i expected. But as i read out of your explanation is that you can't totally shut them off? That sucks really i thought there would be a handy way to do so. I guess i'll stick with the solution that i push them just behind the wall. Then i use some misc prop to atleast simulate the traffic light because the coaster is also operated on daylight. One other question remains. How can i make it dark inside of interiors? Do i have to "dig" them into the ground to make them dark?

Yes, you have to be under terrain to make it dark and a thin layer of terrain doesn't do it. As you probably know, the lights pass through terrain and go a certain distance. It seems this is true for daylight through terrain as well. 1 meter thick ana dit's still bright. Something more like 10meters (both top AND sides) will make it pretty dark.

Good luck. Nice ride so far, you might try to increase the speeds at the top of the inversions. Not too much, but enough to increase the excitement without instilling too much fear. What kind of ratings are you getting now?

Yes, you have to be under terrain to make it dark and a thin layer of terrain doesn't do it. As you probably know, the lights pass through terrain and go a certain distance. It seems this is true for daylight through terrain as well. 1 meter thick ana dit's still bright. Something more like 10meters (both top AND sides) will make it pretty dark.

Good luck. Nice ride so far, you might try to increase the speeds at the top of the inversions. Not too much, but enough to increase the excitement without instilling too much fear. What kind of ratings are you getting now?

That wasn't the answer i was hoping for... My naive mind thought there was a trick to do so. I guess i just have to keep hoping for future patches. Because 10 meters on the side and top aren't do able with the current coaster, it would completely destroy the vibe of the original one.

The problem is i have to stay as true as possible to the original coaster to make it easily recognizable. That's why i am currently changing everything minute by minute. I thought about adding speedpads(or how they are called :D) to some areas of the coaster, but that wouldn't be like the original. So for now i have to try and get the best out of it.

The ratings for now are: Excitement: Somewhere around 4.3. Fear: Pretty close to 7 [shocked] Nausea: Was something like 2.5. The ratings aren't that bad, just that 7 Fear Rating is giving me headaches.

Top Bottom