The boundary lines (or orbit lines in settings) are not working as they should on neutron stars. Sometimes they disappear completely, which mistakenly makes me believe that I can approach a neutron star safely. Then the next second I'm suddenly falling out of supercruise and taking hull and component damage.

Aside from the boundary lines frequently not showing up at all around neutron stars, wouldn't it be helpful to state the minimum safe distance? The boundary lines themselves are too thin and difficult to see.

I agree that the boundary lines are an issue, but with experience you can avoid them consistently.

Zero the throttle while jumping (or immediately after arriving), turn the ship 90deg & slowly increase speed, maintaining constant distance from the star until you are approaching the exhausts, then enter the exhaust with a speed in mm/s (not km/s or LS). Once charged up use the throttle to escape (it's the only control you have), keep the ship pointing away from the star at all times.

hth.

The boundary lines (or orbit lines in settings) are not working as they should on neutron stars. Sometimes they disappear completely, which mistakenly makes me believe that I can approach a neutron star safely. Then the next second I'm suddenly falling out of supercruise and taking hull and component damage.

Aside from the boundary lines frequently not showing up at all around neutron stars, wouldn't it be helpful to state the minimum safe distance? The boundary lines themselves are too thin and difficult to see.

More like they are above your cockpit view and you are already in big doo doo.

There's simple solution - when see neutron star -> start to pitch in half a sec and away from star RIGHT AWAY -> change your brown pants.

You can't approach a neutron star safely and the minimum safe distance is usually 0.5-0.7ls.

If you are jet cone boosting you really don't need to be too close to pick up a supercharge.

They disappear if you go below a certain speed. That’s why you don’t see them. Move away from the neutron star, throttle up and the lines should appear.

I avoid those bad boys, I got my elite exploration and I hung it up w/that category since I almost burned my eyeballs out doing so.

I fly bigs so don't need re-buys.:cool:

The boundary lines are visible very good in my opinion, except that they disappear if you drop below a certain speed :|
The appearance (correct me if wrong spelling?) of these lines is connected to your speed related to your distance to the star. If you are too slow or stop completely, they disappear which makes it very hard. Another factor is, if you focus your POV on the star or not which makes them visible or not.
They should keep staying visible (spelling? sorry!) until i deactivate them.

But at the end, it is in my personal opinion just a small problem after 2 crashes and some practising. I'm used to that since a long time and never got a crash again.
On some white dwarfs, the stream ends within the exclusion zone which makes it impossible to scoop the bonus, but i can handle the exclusion zone very good.

The boundary lines are visible very good in my opinion, except that they disappear if you drop below a certain speed :|
The appearance (correct me if wrong spelling?) of these lines is connected to your speed related to your distance to the star. If you are too slow or stop completely, they disappear which makes it very hard. Another factor is, if you focus your POV on the star or not which makes them visible or not.
They should keep staying visible (spelling? sorry!) until i deactivate them.

But at the end, it is in my personal opinion just a small problem after 2 crashes and some practising. I'm used to that since a long time and never got a crash again.
On some white dwarfs, the stream ends within the exclusion zone which makes it impossible to scoop the bonus, but i can handle the exclusion zone very good.

Ah so they are dependent on speed. That must be it then. :) Most of the time it happens when I'm lining myself up for a jet cone boost. It's scary when I get close to the neutron star and the boundary line suddenly vanishes! Then after a while - boom! emergency stop!

I usually don't crash into them because I stay quite far out to supercharge the FSD. However, some neutron stars are spinning all over the place, so I have to get really close to a concentrated point in the stream. Then the boundary lines usually disappear - just when I need them the most! :S

I don't take much damage and no heat damage at all (probably due to my low speed), but it is extremely annoying. I hope they change it so it is ALWAYS visible when close.

Last edited:
Ah so they are dependent on speed. That must be it then. :)

This is the same with all other celestial bodies, watch out for them vanishing if you slow down near planets, stars etc

I usually don't crash into them because I stay quite far out to supercharge the FSD. However, some neutron stars are spinning all over the place, so I have to get really close to a concentrated point in the stream.

No you don't. Only ones you may have to get close to are White Dwarfs, but they are a different type of object. The ones with erratic spinning are actually some of the safest to scoop.

I hope they change it so it is ALWAYS visible when close.

I hope not, for the reason above. And once you learn how to scoop you won't care either - keep practicing :)

The WD/NS exclusion zone lines are bugged, likely because of how far they extend out away from the star. They show only for a second when you start moving and then disappear. Been that way since I started playing back at the start of the year.

I just turn 90 and head for the very end of either jet, where I have actual control over the ship direction. And yes you can control a ship by counter steering, however, it gets exponentially more difficult the closer to the star you enter the jet. High mass ships also have an easier time in the jet than the smaller ships, especially at the ends of the jets.

Gotta say, I've noticed the boundary lines don't always display reliably on any type of star.

I can be, say, heading for a nav beacon or fuel-scooping and the boundary line will be there one minute, then vanish, then re-appear.

With most stars, it's not a big deal.
You can just keep the "glow" from the star in the periphery of your view and you'll be fine.
With brown dwarfs and pulsars, though, it can be a bit hit & miss.
If the circle's missing, I tend to just fly perpendicular to the those for a couple of Ls, just to be on the safe side.

Truthfully, when approaching a neutron star I don't worry about the boundary line or my distance. I just watch my ship temperature; as soon as it kicks up by about 5 you need to think about turning away. Also never, ever fly fast in supercruise near one.

Always de-select the star in order for the drop zone line to appear. Usually use next star in route and the line appears.

+1 This works for me...
Lots of good Info here...

Cut my Baby Teeth on White Dwarf Stars, By The Score.
Get Comfortable Charging/Jumping the Little ones and Neutron Stars become Easy.

[alien]

-gus

I9i9mq.jpg

Turn away at 0.25ls or earlier. You can get closer, but give yourself some margin for error.

In those early days I turned off the orbital lines, it spoiled my immersion. I spent the first few months of ED doing exploration and moving the throttle to zero as I jump is so ingrained I sometimes do it going to super-cruise...

Top Bottom