Keyboard and HOTAS Reference Sheet Generator

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I have an X52 with button 32 set to Flight Assist and button 31 is my chaff launcher. Your tool writes the Button 31 (Launch Chaff) in the box for Button 32 (and jumbles it with the Flight assist text). Button 31 is the silver thing next to the blue wobble stick on the throttle.

Thanks for reporting this. I've updated the code to put button 31 in the correct place and http://www.mcdee.net/elite/binds/ecuvae should now represent this properly.

Do you use the wheel on the back of the throttle for anything? For the X-52 Pro I've been informed that although it's a rotary the 'scroll up' and 'scroll down' commands show up as digital controls, like button presses. Is this the same with the X-52? If so I can rework the reference sheet to show this correctly.

I play on a Mac (not in boot camp) and while I can attempt to assign a function to the wheel, it does not actually work in the game. Therefore, no, I do not use it for anything. Thanks for making the update. This is a wonderful tool.

With the advent of Horizons there are even more bindings to remember, so it's a good time to generate a reference sheet for your own customised configuration.

The reference sheet generator has been updated and is available at http://www.mcdee.net/elite/ It takes a copy of your custom binds file and generates reference sheets for you for both keyboard and HOTAS. Details of how to use it are available on the site.

If you find any problems with the files that are generated, would like another product supported, or have any general comments then please put them here. Thank you, and I hope that you find this useful.

I use 2 different products, a ch throttle and a warthog flight stick. Is there a way of having it generate the 2 together or a mix of items? It generates my throttle controls but expects a ch flightstick so leaves those blank.

Except that the layout and the info is wonderful.

I use 2 different products, a ch throttle and a warthog flight stick. Is there a way of having it generate the 2 together or a mix of items? It generates my throttle controls but expects a ch flightstick so leaves those blank.

Except that the layout and the info is wonderful.

The Warthog isn't supported at the moment. When it is you would receive two sheets, one for the Warthog and one for the Throttle.

Okay, due to popular demand I'm going to attempt to add support for the Thrustmaster Warthog to the reference sheet generator. As I don't have one I will only be able to do this with assistance from the community.

The first thing I will need is samples of existing configurations. If you currently have a Warthog and are using it, and wish to help out, then you will need to send me a copy of your custom binds file (which should be in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings\Custom.1.8.binds) as well as a completed template form. If you already have your own template form filled out feel free to send that along, otherwise please use the template as shown below.

Once I have a few of these I can correlate which buttons on the Warthog relate to which buttons in the binds files (although there are various sources for this on the internet I have found when working with other HOTAS that a lot of the information out there is incorrect and leads to confusion). I can them add this to the reference sheet generator and that should be that.

Please note that the template below is my current understanding of the various switches and buttons on the HOTAS. It's quite possible that I have some of this wrong as I'm going on pictures as to what each control does. Digital controls show as a single press or arrow on the template, and analogue controls show as a dual arrow. If anything here looks incorrect please do let me know and I'll update it accordingly.

Thank you in advance for your help in adding the Warthog as a supported HOTAS.

warthog.jpg

Great work, jgm!

A quick question to clarify. On the Warthog sheet, the bottom image shows the throttle from the front. Do you still expect the left/back and right/forward actions to be from the user's perspective in-game (recommend, imho), or directly related to the pic so the user has to mentally flip the image/functions? Up/down is usually pretty self-explanatory. ;)

• Like (+1)
Reactions: jgm
Great work, jgm!

A quick question to clarify. On the Warthog sheet, the bottom image shows the throttle from the front. Do you still expect the left/back and right/forward actions to be from the user's perspective in-game (recommend, imho), or directly related to the pic so the user has to mentally flip the image/functions? Up/down is usually pretty self-explanatory. ;)

Good question. It should be from the user's perspective.

Thanks for those who have sent me their Warthog binds, however I need more so that I can map every control as well as confirm those that I have been provided with so far. If you do have a Warthog and would like it supported please fill out the template file a few posts up and either post it and your custom binds file here or PM them to me. Thanks.

Really cool tool.

Would it be possible to get it to recognise multiple joystick inputs? I have a CH Throttle and Thrustmaster T.16000m, and only the Thrustmaster shows up.

Really cool tool.

Would it be possible to get it to recognise multiple joystick inputs? I have a CH Throttle and Thrustmaster T.16000m, and only the Thrustmaster shows up.

It should work. Can you send me the binds link and I'll take a look at it?

Unfortunately i'm getting this error when i click to generate. I'm using the Thrustmaster T flight HOTAS. Any ideas?
A problem occurred in a Python script. Here is the sequence of function calls leading up to the error, in the order they occurred.

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
This looks great, I uploaded my binds file to view it and noticed some are "blank".

The ones blank are the ones where I use the software that comes with my x52 and have some macros. E.g. The fire button, on full trigger it changes my power distribution to have full weapon pips, The pinky works in "mode 1 (red)" to deploy hardpoint.

So maybe a 2nd option to upload a file from the software might be a good idea.

Edit: here is the link to my bindings: http://www.mcdee.net/elite/configs/gpgtmi.binds

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
This looks great, I uploaded my binds file to view it and noticed some are "blank".

The ones blank are the ones where I use the software that comes with my x52 and have some macros. E.g. The fire button, on full trigger it changes my power distribution to have full weapon pips, The pinky works in "mode 1 (red)" to deploy hardpoint.

So maybe a 2nd option to upload a file from the software might be a good idea.

Edit: here is the link to my bindings: http://www.mcdee.net/elite/configs/gpgtmi.binds

The problem with attempting to use the X52 software configuration (or any of the external managers) is that because it's a macro generator there could be anything at all in there and it becomes next-to-impossible to work through all of the combinations. Even something as simple as having full weapon pips is not something that could easily be described on the reference sheet generator; for example if there's a clear macro that can be parsed out I could obtain the details but it would look something like "equalise power;increase power to weapons;increase power to weapons;increase power to weapons" which wouldn't be very legible.

Let me have a think about this one and see if I can come up with a good way of handling external commands.

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
This looks great! I too have the Thrustmaster Warthog, and if it helps I have posted a link to my bindings file. My diagrams show all the 'joystick' button numbers, though on the throttle POV2 shows as another POV1 in the Elite Controls. Any extra joystick buttons in the bindings file are for a third controller, a Thrustmaster MFD. Hope you find these helpful.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1865916/Custom.1.8.binds

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom