Proposal Discussion Keyboard Layout Printed

Just watched a YouTube of the alpha.

Seeing as there is a vast array of controls, as a suggestion it would be great if the dev test included an option to print out the any custom layouts as a reference sheet.

If the is any keen coders out there you could make an app to do this, I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate this.

What do you guys think :S

Welcome webduck :)

First of all, apologies for the late response - alpha 1.1 was released about 10 minutes after your post, so we were all a bit distracted.

Playing around trying to find the right layout is actually one of the recurring themes in the alpha forum. It doesn't really show up in videos, but you often find yourself saying "if only there was a button for X" or "I flew much better when I rebound something to Y". This is a really productive part of the alpha, and will make the game better for everyone in the long term :)

Having said that, I'd love to see the layout saved in some kind of XML format so people could make pretty reference sheets!

The problem is that everyone plays differently.
Back in the days of the original Elite, the keys were set and unless you literally reprogrammed the game (which you couldn't) you used the same keys as everyone else.

Now, games allow you to rebind keys to whatever you want. The WASD keys are a good example. They have long been used for movement, but I prefer the arrow keys, so often I rebind WASD to the arrow keys. When you add in keys getting bound to joysticks, it just makes things more confusing.

So I could make up a print-off of the keys I use, but you might not use the same keys or even have keys set to joystick, or have keys I set to joystick that you won't. Basically, either do it for yourself, or not at all. There is no "one ring to rule them all" anymore.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
As Alien said all the keys are rebindable so everyone will have a preffered layout/combination etc.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Alien said
So I could make up a print-off of the keys I use, but you might not use the same keys or even have keys set to joystick, or have keys I set to joystick that you won't. Basically, either do it for yourself, or not at all. There is no "one ring to rule them all" anymore.

But that is the point of the idea, Rebind the keyboard to your hearts content, then print your customer layout.

DD_Crash exactly right
pull data directly from the saved data. :D

Love the idea. Would very much like to see this implemented. Being a bit of a dozy twit I often forget what keys I've bound to what function. Or even that a particular function exists. Please make this happen!

I'd like to throw in a request for this as well. Even if it's just a list of functions and the default keys. That would be enough to start working on my own bindings/Stick programming :smilie:

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
I'd like to throw in a request for this as well. Even if it's just a list of functions and the default keys. That would be enough to start working on my own bindings/Stick programming :smilie:

Will these do:

Help9.png

Help10.png

ETA - see here for a useful spreadhseet of possible keybinds/joystick binds...

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11641

Yes Please Please ...

I need a visual aid, because ive got the memory of a fruit fly (wish btw is around 3 seconds).

so I need one please ....... wat was i talking about again dam ive forgot ..... oh yeah Keyboard layout Print.

Yes please... :S

Just watched a YouTube of the alpha.

Seeing as there is a vast array of controls, as a suggestion it would be great if the dev test included an option to print out the any custom layouts as a reference sheet.

If the is any keen coders out there you could make an app to do this, I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate this.

What do you guys think :S

I've made a PDF you can print of some good custom keys. Link in my signature.

Top Bottom