Update Kill Warrant Scanner Feedback

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Sandro Sammarco

Lead Designer
Frontier
Hello Commanders!

I've started a new thread and unstickied the previous for the sake of clarity.

Looking into the how the Kill Warrant scanner worked and how we want it to work, we have to consider both new and old Interstellar bounties.

Players using the Kill Warrant scanner will note that we have already been using a lightweight version of Interstellar bounties. These show up as “Federal”, “Empire” or "Alliance" bounties, and have no faction associated with them.

The way the system worked is that a ship had the chance to spawn with a local bounty for the current jurisdiction, and a number of bounties for other factions present in the system, as well as the chance for a number of these lightweight Interstellar bounties, which would replace the faction bounties.

When you hand in a normal bounty, you:

• Increase your reputation with the faction that issued it, which also trickles some reputation to its associated superpower unless it was an independent faction.
    [*]Increase the influence of the faction you hand the bounty claim in to.
    [*]Receive credits from the claim.
Because the lightweight Interstellar bounties had no faction, only a superpower, they:

• Had no faction to give reputation to, so only increased superpower reputation (and by too much).
    [*]Could be handed in at any faction associated with their superpower
    • After which they then distributed their influence to all factions in the system according to each faction’s current portion of influence. So the faction with the most influence in the system would get the biggest cut from the lightweight Interstellar bounty, and so on. Any faction not aligned with the bounty’s superpower would then discard its share.
    [*]Could be handed in at Interstellar Factors, which would (unintentionally) apply the same rules of sharing out influence to the system where the Interstellar Factors was.
Whilst this allowed you to support factions in the background simulation, it did so in a messy way. For example, a Federal faction in system where it was the only Federal faction could benefit more from a Federal lightweight interstellar bounty than if other Federal factions were present. You could also pour huge amounts of influence collected from all over human space into a single system, which was manifestly unfair to independent factions as well as being illogical. It was a confusing system that allowed complicated and undesirable results.

The new Interstellar bounties will use the following rules:

• When a ship’s total bounty value of all bounties and fines for factions associated with a single superpower exceeds 2 million CR, they will become a single Interstellar bounty, valid in all jurisdictions associated with the superpower.
    [*]When you claim a superpower bounty, you will receive all of the bounties as individual claims, allowing you to choose which ones to cash in.
    [*]Alternatively, you can use the Interstellar Factors to claim them all at a reduced value and loss of influence.
Because the new Interstellar bounties are actually collections of normal bounties they are handed in and dealt with no differently from normal bounties; giving the correct amount of influence to the faction that issued them and the correct reputation to the player. They will also be a lot bigger as they have minimum trigger thresholds, and are a feature that is primarily aimed at Commanders, allowing the game to make them wanted across huge swathes of space.

Initially, NPC ships will not have these new Interstellar bounties. Instead, every time we would have generated a lightweight Interstellar bounty, we will instead generate another bounty from a faction in the system.

Whilst this does reduce the amount of influence you can bring to a system, it makes the process simpler, predictable, focused and legible. Fundamentally it can be summed up by the following statement: to support a faction, hand in claims issued by that faction to that faction.

We’re also fixing the Interstellar Factors so that they (correctly) do not apply influence to the system where they are based. Reputation and Credit rewards will continue to work as normal.

The Kill Warrant scanner will have the following functionality, shortly after launch:

• It will detect all bounties issued by all factions in the system.
    [*]It will grant a license to kill any ship that has a Federal bounty if in a Federal jurisdiction, any ship that has an Empire bounty if in an Imperial Jurisdiction and any ship that has an Alliance bounty if in an Alliance jurisdiction.
    [*]Detecting any bounties with a Kill Warrant scan will prevent you losing reputation with the ship’s faction when you destroy it, unless it belonged to a criminal faction.
Making the Kill Warrant scanner work in this way neatly differentiates its use from Interstellar bounties, whilst retaining a strong case for using one, in terms of credits, reputation and influence gaining.

Ok from the looks of it, you are applying a much fairer and logical system to prevent dumping of bounties, which will make it fairly easy to flip a system yea?
Additionally the interstellar fella is bugged and need to be "sorted out...."

All good stuff.

But one sentence got me - The Kill Warrant scanner will have the following functionality shortly after launch.

Does this mean that the KWS is... offline as of the 27th, or that it be SNAFU until you fix it?

Fly safe and scan the Horizon :p

Sounds good. Thanks Sandro!

But I'm waiting on the flood of "our influence farming has been nerfed!" threads. :D

Whilst this does reduce the amount of influence you can bring to a system, it makes the process simpler, predictable, focused and legible.

Probably shouldn't have highlighted that bit...

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Goodbye to increasing your Federation\Empire\Alliance reputation via bounty hunting.

"Thanks".

Damn, Ninja'd... Lol

Thanks Sandro, sounds clean and concise. I look forward to NPCs getting their 'unpackable' Interstellar Bounties at some point in the future.

But the limit of bounty per kill will still be limited to only 2mil, making all of this pointless. Maybe if you spent as much time discussing powerplay as you spend discussing some small utility item, it wouldn't be a dead wastleland riddled with 5C trolls.

I too am surprised the amount of attention Sandro is giving this one item, considering all the problems with Powerplay, Multi-crew, CQC and lots of other stuff that has had more demand for fixing than this..

Maybe one day..

Last edited:
so basically in response to all the people that previously complained that this ruined their ability to manipluate the background sim with a kws, your response all along was this is an intentional nerf to that.

I hope you are putting something else in to allow people to keep enjoying that aspect of the game, or is it another piece of emergent gameplay that's intended for the scrap heap?

Curious to see how this new system will affect CG's where the best(if not only) place to get bountys that count towards the CG is not the system in which the CG is 'sponsored' from..

so basically in response to all the people that previously complained that this ruined their ability to manipluate the background sim with a kws, your response all along was this is an intentional nerf to that.

I hope you are putting something else in to allow people to keep enjoying that aspect of the game, or is it another piece of emergent gameplay that's intended for the scrap heap?

They fixed that? no? You will detect all bounties in a given system, and even interstellar bounties will be able to be "unrolled" into their component parts and turned in separately. Unless I'm misunderstanding his post.

I think it looks fairly good at this point.

great, I have just one outstanding question.. a question of operation this time only..

the KWS and faster than the original scan when it is improved with the engineers.. finish the KWS scan before the original scan gives a fine (in 2.4)

the KWS looks like the orginal scan but improved since it detects the bounties, so it should do the work also of the original scan, ie marked as searched also.

Last edited:

Sandro Sammarco

Lead Designer
Frontier
Hello Commander!

But the limit of bounty per kill will still be limited to only 2mil, making all of this pointless. Maybe if you spent as much time discussing powerplay as you spend discussing some small utility item, it wouldn't be a dead wastleland riddled with 5C trolls.

The limit is 2 million credits per faction, which allows bigger payouts using the Kill Warrant scanner as it can detect multiple faction bounties.

Interstellar bounties are "unpacked" foer the claimant, meaning that these too can give 2 milliion credits per faction.

Last edited:
Doesn't your super power rep go up as your Super Power aligned Faction rep gets increased?

Yup, nowhere did Sandro say that this process/effect was changing:
When you hand in a normal bounty, you:
  • Increase your reputation with the faction that issued it, which also trickles some reputation to its associated superpower unless it was an independent faction.
    [*]Increase the influence of the faction you hand the bounty claim in to.
    [*]Receive credits from the claim.

We can hand individual bounties in, as per normal, and the above effects occur.
Because the new Interstellar bounties are actually collections of normal bounties they are handed in and dealt with no differently from normal bounties; giving the correct amount of influence to the faction that issued them and the correct reputation to the player.
(emphasis mine)

Right?

Edit, even better:
The limit is 2 million credits per faction, which allows bigger payouts using the Kill Warrant scanner as it can detect multiple faction bounties.
Interstellar bounties are "unpacked" foer the claimant, meaning that these too can give 2 milliion credits per faction.

Edit, edit: I forgot to say .. Sandro, this is just about perfect I think. Nice work. This solution has finesse (do we have any bridge players in the house?)

Last edited:
I too am surprised the amount of attention Sandro is giving this one item, considering all the problems with Powerplay, Multi-crew, CQC and lots of other stuff that has had more demand for fixing than this..

Maybe one day..

The KWS and the framework around it is changing in this up-date. So, it follows that the KWS would get more attention than PP or CQC at this time. It seems perfectly logical to me.

Hello Commander!

Hi Sandro I'm assuming the maximum amount in total able to be claimed by a player for killing a player is still 1M per criminal player death? If not, does this open up a potential exploit?

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom