Known Issues with the 3.3.02 BGS (orig. AEDC Discord)

There are a few similar reports on the tracker, some of them going back to the end of March. They're still unconfirmed though so I thought I would raise it here too

Dumb question... Elections still aren't bugged are they? i.e the whole "working for one side attributes it to the wrong side"?

Dumb question... Elections still aren't bugged are they? i.e the whole "working for one side attributes it to the wrong side"?
Certainly not as a consistent global effect. And the pre-March imbalance where it was virtually impossible to win an election without already owning an asset seems to be gone as well.

Certainly not as a consistent global effect. And the pre-March imbalance where it was virtually impossible to win an election without already owning an asset seems to be gone as well.
Maybe I'm just facing an uphill battle... only asset owned by the faction I'm supporting has no market.

Has the main list been updated, I'm still having trouble finding famine systems and I'm curious if there would be ways to help push it along, like buying out all the food and water from a war time system. Any ideas? or is BGS just borked?

Has the main list been updated, I'm still having trouble finding famine systems and I'm curious if there would be ways to help push it along, like buying out all the food and water from a war time system. Any ideas? or is BGS just borked?
Not broken, just totally imbalanced. Famine State is now the far-negative state of the economy slider and is achievable, but you've got better luck punching God in the face.

tl;dr BGS is functioning just fine, only it is incredibly easy to target positive economic effects to any given faction, and nigh on impossible to target (non-anarchy) factions with enough negative economic effects to outweigh positive effects from other commanders, or the natural decay back to a None state.

Known ways to increase economic strength:
  • Running relevant missions which provide +ve economy effects
  • Selling goods for profit at a station controlled by the faction you want to give +ve economy to
Known ways to decrease economic strength:
- Run relevant missions which provide -ve economy effects

Suspected ways to decrease economic strength (may need testing, could be broken):
  • Trading for a loss at a station controlled by the faction you want to give -ve economy to
  • Selling at a black market owned by a non-anarchy faction.
Missions
Both positive effects are easily targetable to the faction you want to support, and the vast majority of missions will give +ve economic effects to the mission provider.

Missions which provide -ve economy effects against non-anarchy, offered by non-anarchy, factions are very rare. They're more commonly offered by Anarchy, but you need to prostrate yourself before the altar of the RNG and hope for missions which target the specific faction you want to put into anarchy. Based on how mission targets are picked, this could be a <1% chance to get the specific faction you're targeting.

If you want to target a particular faction, in a particular system for Famine, be prepared to board-flip a lot to get a full roster of missions targeting that faction in that system with -ve effects. You literally could be there all day.

Trading
Meanwhile, based on how +ve economic effects work for market trading, you can presume any negative effect needs a trade with >1,000cr loss on a single unit per visit to that station. Finding items which sell for a loss isn't difficult... finding many things that sell for a loss without tanking your own bank account is very difficult. Additionally, there's no proof this even works at the moment.

Black Markets
You're SOL if your target faction shuts down black markets (e.g Dictatorships), so this is situational, and also Anarchies are unaffected. Last report I heard as well was that this was broken, and non-anarchy factions actually experienced economic benefits from BM sales in their stations.

So, if imbalanced gameplay is your idea of broken, yes, the BGS is broken, but realistically everything's working just fine, it's just a total absence of activities to target and cause negative effects which form part of standard gameplay, compared to the abundance of positive effects available and undertaken as a matter of course for standard gameplay.

Last edited:
What does +ve and -ve mean in this context ?
positive and negative
What Jane said. So many people ask I wonder if I shouldn't dedicate a thread to it XD

It's a shorthand for positive and negative used in electronic circuits, e.g

Reason I use it is because writing positive or negative is too long... but + and - is ambiguous... whereas +ve and -ve aren't.
+ could be: Plus , add, and, greater than, etc.
- could be: minus, hyphenation, break in a sentence, less than and lots more.

It's not helped that +'s get used to show positive rep/inf effects in a mission, so saying "- effects" can be confusing as the game doesn't actually display "-" effects.

Problem is, I guess -ve and +ve aren't as well-known as I thought....

If it simply means the words positive and negative, that wasn't clear. It seemed that ve referred to some kind of points used for BCS and it was plus ve (points) and minus ve(points).
I would use pos and neg, biut that's just me.

If it simply means the words positive and negative, that wasn't clear. It seemed that ve referred to some kind of points used for BCS and it was plus ve (points) and minus ve(points).
I would use pos and neg, biut that's just me.
I have no idea what BCS stands for, so I guess we're even ;)

Since several weeks, the BGS ignore all effects I do.
I do missions with influence, the faction drops.
I do assessinations, the faction grows.
Before, it was ok, but since about two weeks, everything seems to be the opposite what I do.
Should I open a ticket? There is something I can do?

what is the traffic in your system?
Traffic is high. That's is why i ignore it at the beginning.
But if I do 50 inf+ everyday for a MF, and the MF drops, it is strange.
In the meanwhile, I observed that if other people do some missions, the influence of the MFs goes up.
My feeling is just that the game is ignoring everything I am doing.
I Have -50% reputation withe the Federation and I am working with federation MFs. Can it have something to do?

Just to say that I am doing BGS since about 4 months in the same systems and before it was working well. I saw action - effect. But since two weeks, I can't see the effect anymore.

Traffic is high. That's is why i ignore it at the beginning.
But if I do 50 inf+ everyday for a MF, and the MF drops, it is strange.
In the meanwhile, I observed that if other people do some missions, the influence of the MFs goes up.
My feeling is just that the game is ignoring everything I am doing.
I Have -50% reputation withe the Federation and I am working with federation MFs. Can it have something to do?

Just to say that I am doing BGS since about 4 months in the same systems and before it was working well. I saw action - effect. But since two weeks, I can't see the effect anymore.
Assuming you're talking about your home system and not the other one, there's a number of things working against you. It's a high population system so that reduces the effects you can achieve (well done in getting up to Expansion in there btw). While your influence is high, even occasional inputs for the factions down the bottom, either from in the system or external missions targeting them, will have a much larger benefit to them at your expense. It's not like one of them is surging up, just that they're all increasing a little, and because they're all bunched at low influence, all taking from your faction.

I'd suspect that it's just a coincidental increase in passing players taking missions for the other factions. Or perhaps some players based in a nearby system that generates incoming missions for those factions.

My advice would be don't worry about it if your influence settles around the 40-50% level, which looks likely, you'll still have a very comfortable margin over the others. That in turn will let the other factions move up a little to where they don't get as much benefit from random input and generally let the system settle into a steady-state.
If you're looking to continue expanding it'll be so much easier to do it from your second system, which due to the much smaller population will be far easier to manipulate.

Overall these things tend to be caused by 'random' changes in the behaviour of other players, making your system suddenly popular for some reason (faction states, proximity to certain other systems, a wealth of certain mission types, some player(s) setting up home nearby, etc.) rather than weird and unlikely system or faction specific bugs.

Good luck and best wishes for your fledgling space empire 🚀

Top Bottom