Ships Krait Hype Thread

Well, since we now know the Chieftain is a pure combat vessel between an FAS and an FGS, my hope for the Krait is that it will be very competitive to the Python. The game sorely needs an alternative to the king of medium ships.

My fear is that it will just be another combat only ship.

Get hyped!

What are your thoughts on it?

I hoping the cockpit view will be as amazing as it's looking, especially for multi crew. Definitely a neat bridge design.

My hope is that the Krait turns out to be a medium-sized explorer, something to close the huge gap between DBX/Asp and the Anaconda. With the nice bridge design it would be a shame to get just another combat ship. Hell, by now we're also drowning in ships capable of being all-rounders, on the other hand, only the DBX and the Asp are really dedicated explorers.

Their scout versions are just that: Scouts, and especially the DBS is more an alternative to the Viper III with better jump range. There's also the Adder, which was advertised as a starter explorer. That's like 2,5 explorers at best. As a reminder: The Anaconda is also an all-rounder, it just so happened that as the first large ship Frontier accidentally gave us the ability to give it ludicrously high jump range when stripping out and downsizing most of its components. That's the reason why later large ships, like the Cutter or the Corvette, were given a much, much higher mass to prevent this from happening again. The Anaconda is basically only useful for exploration on accident.

My hope is that the Krait turns out to be a medium-sized explorer, something to close the huge gap between DBX/Asp and the Anaconda. With the nice bridge design it would be a shame to get just another combat ship. Hell, by now we're also drowning in ships capable of being all-rounders, on the other hand, only the DBX and the Asp are really dedicated explorers.

Their scout versions are just that: Scouts, and especially the DBS is more an alternative to the Viper III with better jump range. There's also the Adder, which was advertised as a starter explorer. That's like 2,5 explorers at best. As a reminder: The Anaconda is also an all-rounder, it just so happened that as the first large ship Frontier accidentally gave us the ability to give it ludicrously high jump range when stripping out and downsizing most of its components. That's the reason why later large ships, like the Cutter or the Corvette, were given a much, much higher mass to prevent this from happening again. The Anaconda is basically only useful for exploration on accident.

Absolutely!
To me, combat is no fun in space - it just lacks gravity.
I'd love to see this ship as an able explorer. Already I am hyped for its looks and visibility.

Best,
Brett

...The Anaconda is basically only useful for exploration on accident.

An accident, yes, but a happy accident.
I agree, I hope it turns into another explorer, something along the lines of the Keelback/Python but with better jump range.
+1 Rep

I have no issue with the all rounder bit. If you think about it, almost every car on the market is good at doing mostly the same things. Same thing should apply for spaceships.

why would they make the Krait an explorer type of ship?

The original was the quintessential small fighter? Just becasue they are giving it a bit more beef why would they make it anything other than a fighting ship. Slight multirole at best is what I reckon they will go with.

While I'd like a mid size explorer, being class of '84 the Krait has to be a pirate ship. Never forget those little 'stards coming out of the black at you in Anarchy systems.

I hope the lore is that its an obsolete design given a new life with the new frameshift drive, ships reconditioned and cobbled together from old parts, only available in dodgy systems and asteroid bases. Good weapons for sniping and excellent stealth characteristics (heat management buff).

In other words THE Smuggler/pirate ship. Want want want it to be that.

Would even consider buying a second account for that life.

why would they make the Krait an explorer type of ship?

The original was the quintessential small fighter? Just becasue they are giving it a bit more beef why would they make it anything other than a fighting ship. Slight multirole at best is what I reckon they will go with.

That's true, it was a fighter. But who knows what FDev is going to do. They might just throw a curve ball at us.

I think it's going to be a like a Keelback that trades away multirole and tankiness for speed and/or agility.

So rather than a trader with fighterbay, it's like taking a Viper Mk3 and extending it backwards & outwards until there's room to cram a fighter in.

Last edited:
Still reeling a bit from the disappointment that the Chieftain is another fighter that (while good-looking) barely distinguishes itself from FAS and is not something more versatile. I would have liked to see it get at least another 100T of potential cargo space and sacrifice some agility -- was hoping for something like slightly smaller and cheaper Python -- sort of a FGS+Orca blend, that could be used like a big Keelback that could still fit on a medium pad. I'm not looking for new ships to overpower older ships, and pretty sure FDev is trying to avoid this too. Looking for ships that fill perceived gaps (...and for me Python is super-powered regarding medium pads) ... it's good to have some choices.

For Krait, I'm still sort of expecting a mashup of smaller medium-sized ships. I wouldn't be that surprised if it ended up as:
- a more expensive, somewhat fightier but less flexible/jumpy AspX
- mildly larger and faster and perhaps better-armed Keelback
- faster, slightly larger, and more expensive AspS
- larger and more versatile (less of a dedicated fighter) Vulture.
- smaller, lighter, less rugged but better-jumping (and better-looking) FDS

A big question is whether Krait will end up supporting ship-launched fighters like some of the early provided images suggest (based on the look of the ship's belly). If it does, then what size would make sense? It's hard to imagine the utility of a fighter hangar on a ship smaller or cheaper than a Keelback, so that would suggest a larger ship, or at least a ship with a different role.

I imagine at the most, it'll be a small ship that can multirole slightly into being an exploration vessel. The Chieftain has close to 20 LY jump range it looks like when it's loaded down with weapons and such without any engineering at all. So the Chieftain itself could potentially get some decent jump range if it is set up for that. Of course the big problem for it is the lack of optional internal slots to make it bad for exploration compared to the AspX and Anaconda.

I wonder if the Krait will be similar in that way where it has limited optional internals but can achieve a decent jump range.

A big question is whether Krait will end up supporting ship-launched fighters like some of the early provided images suggest (based on the look of the ship's belly). If it does, then what size would make sense? It's hard to imagine the utility of a fighter hangar on a ship smaller or cheaper than a Keelback, so that would suggest a larger ship, or at least a ship with a different role.

It looks big enough to support the SLF and looks bigger than the Keelback. I really hope it does, just to give an alternative to the Keelback, even if it is more expensive. Maybe it's going to be a really big medium sized ship. Or really small Large ship.

Sorry?? That's a fighter type? with that cockpit vision? It's got two massive blindspots because of the "wing"! If that's a fighter it's a really bad design.

Well, the Vulture has those two massive edges next to the cockpit, limiting vision and it's a fighter.
If you look closer, the cockpit on the Krait has massive visibility above the chair, and some below to the right and left. I bet you wont be missing much because of the "wing," as it were, because most of it is behind the chair.

I believe I know what the Krait is. It's FDevs way of giving all those Keelback pilots a second seat without giving the Keelback a second seat. I mean what do we know about this new incarnation of the Krait. It's a medium ship with plenty of cargo(because piracy) and SLF. I believe I just described the Keelback. I don't know, it's just a thought but it would kill that 'save our Keelback' argument once and for all without FDev having to admit defeat.

I believe I know what the Krait is. It's FDevs way of giving all those Keelback pilots a second seat without giving the Keelback a second seat. I mean what do we know about this new incarnation of the Krait. It's a medium ship with plenty of cargo(because piracy) and SLF. I believe I just described the Keelback. I don't know, it's just a thought but it would kill that 'save our Keelback' argument once and for all without FDev having to admit defeat.

I've wondered the same thing, and so far the Krait is the only ship that has a chance of getting me out of my Keelie.

I can't imagine it's actually easier to design a new ship from scratch instead of tweaking the cockpit, though, so I have to assume there will be other significant differences.

I've wondered the same thing, and so far the Krait is the only ship that has a chance of getting me out of my Keelie.

I detest the Keelback, and I'm waiting for the alternative to show up. And quite frankly, I'm getting hyped!
You also have to remember that the Keelback is a redesign of the T-6. So another redesign would be extra.

Last edited:
Top Bottom