Ships Krait Mk II - engineering some weapons

Despite playing for a good chunk of this year, still remain confused most of the time by engineering properties, and I’m most definitely Mostly Harmless when it comes to combat...!

I’ve pretty much stocked up on mats to go pay my first visit to Todd the Blaster with a view to polishing MC,
Burst Lasers and Imperial Hammers to soup up Cortazar. I’ve been finger painting in Coriolis and can’t help but think I may not be maximising the benefits of engineering:

Updated link:

Any tips on how to engineer sensibly for this in PVE? The ship is my main runner, especially for assassinations and transport missions (where I’m trying to stop just running away all the time! 😂).

Should it have a bearing, I’ve also got a Vulture for combat, and I’m not averse to investing in another fresh ship for combat, so being able to swap solid weaponry around would be a nice bonus.

thanks in advance for any tips, Cmdrs.

Last edited:
I tried to not change too much so far as module choices and came up with this.

Weapon stuff there are a lot of options, Over Charged is just as good as short range for MC's, I just prefer short range since no increase to distributor draw and I'm usually within range anyway. Long range is always a good option (definitely not the only) on lasers & rails. I'm definitely not saying what I did is the only way to go.

Dumped your size 3 scb because with better shields it just won't be doing much. Reactive surface composite with heavy duty plus a thermal resist HRP (cost you an ADC in trade) is a lovely combo that gives you a great hull, then put an MRP where the SCB was. Also dropped the point defense (missiles will be a much smaller threat now with those shields) and Heatsink for shield boosters to give you a good value with decent resists. An armored PP gives better heat performance, more power, and increases its integrity, to help prevent it from blowing up along with the ship should shields drop and someone snipe it. You should be able to survive a gank with it, if you just run.

Dirty drag drives is almost always the way to go on thrusters, same with increased range mass manager on FSD. Lightweight long range sensors are usually the best bet, as well as charge enhanced super conduit (I've been seeing more people using cluster capacitor, maybe I'm missing something there, idk, small difference regardless) for the PD.

I would definitely be comfortable doing some combat in it, as well as running missions/trade in open.

I tried to not change too much so far as module choices and came up with this.

I would definitely be comfortable doing some combat in it, as well as running missions/trade in open.

That’s really helpful - thanks! Really appreciate the explanation to the selections as well.
Related question on fire groups - does it make sense to have the fixed weapons on the same group and the gimballed on the others? Until yesterday, I had this with a KWS and big Burst Laser on 1 and MCs on 2, but with throwing in Hammers, little unsure as to most effective grouping.

Definitely makes sense to me to have hitscan and gimbals on different groups like that. If you hold a trigger with normal rails they go off once and won't again until you release the trigger and pull again. Imp Hammers will just keep firing, so for that reason I don't usually bind them specifically to other fixed, as I find myself wasting a lot of ammo.

I'd probably have a fire group with burst on 1, hammers on 2 for shield stripping. When the bursts are hitting you know the rails will hit. Second fire group with burst+hammers on 1 and MCs on 2 for hull work (or small ships I need gimbals to hit reliably) letting one cut lose with the MCs and snipe with the fixed as shots line up.

All just personal preference though!

I have an MKII and it's a great ship, but I know many others use them and love them a lot more than me, hopefully more will chime in with ideas.

So far as engineering again, you won't go wrong with Dirty Drives, Charge Enhanced PD, & increased ranged FSD if you're looking for a place to start.

Last edited:
So no engineering at all?

If you are comfortable with fixed weapons i would advise to drop the hammers and use 3 large fixed bursts and 2 medium gimbaled multicannons (hammers are kinda inefficient, if you are fan of them, use the plain rails)
Bursts on one trigger and MC on another. Regarding engineering the MC - g5 short range is good, but i do prefer g5 overcharged. The extra range is good for ships that are trying to flee

Also i would drop the prismatic - it's recharge rate is awful. You can use a size 6 biweave and still have 120t for cargo
I would replace the heatsink for a shield booster
Military or Reactive is better than Reflective

That makes it something like this

And i will pursue some engineering.
Even mild engineering, like G3, gives some quite big results (but i would still aim for G5 FSD increased range) - something like this build
Even i'm fan of reinforced engineering for shields - the combination of limited G3 engineering and use of a single booster means you get better results with thermal than with reinforced. But, as i said - this is a really particular case.
No experimentals on bursts lasers - i was tempted to use Phasing, but that is quite expensive in terms of engineering materials.
You can use flow control, oversized, multi-servos if you have materials.

I've tried a lot of Krait mk2 builds (5 x plasma accs, beam + hammers..........) and all are effective but the most efficient weapon array I've used is this build https://s.orbis.zone/bs0e
Granted PA's are more satisfying weapons to use although they aren't the easiest to use, hammers/rails great if you're targeting modules but a combination of beam/MC just gets the job done! ;)

This is all great stuff, Cmdrs! Thanks

should have been clear - it’s hard point engineering I’m cloudy on (core internals souped on all of my ships 😁).

have just completed Imperial Hammer tour of duty, hence why they’re in play, but have only just fitted them (not even fired once so far).

shield advice also really helpful. 🍻

I quite like the Hammers but they generate serious quantities of heat so I fit efficient thermal vent beams use these to strip shields and cool the ship before firing a few IH salvos.

IH engineering;- short range blaster + super pen/feedback cascade (+damage - heat) or sturdy + super pen/feedback cascade (-heat -heat) Super penetrator adds more penetration to an already high penetration weapon, thermal cascade can disrupt SCB firing if timed correctly.

The other approach is to fit a 7A power plant and engineer it for high efficiency so the ships idle temp is lower to start with https://s.orbis.zone/bs1T

Just realised the export from Inara had missed the engineering done to date on the Krait - and shocked to realise how little this one has been done (I’ve cannibalised it too much evidently!!). Updated the link in the first post to its actual state at point of the opening question!

So, trying to bring together a number of suggestions from all you good Cmdrs, maybe something like this?

Only suggestion I would make is if you are going with thermal resist on Prismatics, you'd be better off using Heavy Duty Super Capacitor boosters rather than those thermal resists, or maybe 1 heavy duty and 1 resistance booster. You will barely lose an thermal effective value while increasing your absolute, explosive, and kinetic values substantially.

As a rule I usually fit two types of weapon (one for shield stripping one for hull damage) either all fixed or one type fixed and one gimballed like this Alliance Challenger https://s.orbis.zone/btdQ I've been using a HazRES recently.

Also ballistic weapons with differing projectile speeds can spread the aiming lead indicators not ideal for module targeting.

I've tried a lot of Krait mk2 builds (5 x plasma accs, beam + hammers..........) and all are effective but the most efficient weapon array I've used is this build https://s.orbis.zone/bs0e
Granted PA's are more satisfying weapons to use although they aren't the easiest to use, hammers/rails great if you're targeting modules but a combination of beam/MC just gets the job done! ;)

If I may suggest, try removing thermal vent from the 2 medium lasers? I run a full 3 large beam and 2 burst/MC/frag on my Krait and only 1 of the large beam is vented. It never overheats on full continuous 5 gun fire on any variation of the 2 medium points.

I run w 2 L MC and 1 L & 2 M Beams. All gimballed. The Beams are overcharged with Thermal vent and the MC's are HighCap+Corrosive and OverChg+AutoLoad. I was a bit puzzled when my ship froze when using the beams ...
Pretty efficient, but definitely not a '1 hitter' - especially with wings. I love flying it!

So have been playing for a bit with this update to the build (sorry - have jumped to EDSY as was finding it easier to play), and all your advice has proved much more instructive. I've even made it to Novice... :D
That said, while not getting killed, I wasn't damaging Deadly opposition quick enough in Low CZ...

I've been gathering mats and tweaking blueprints for the end game build for this one and have it looking something like this - I'm only playing PVE, so have stuck with Prismatics for now.

Would welcome any further tips before I go visiting Broo and the likes

Even the Kraits large PD can't run overcharged beams long enough (3.3 seconds @ 2 pips) to drop shields so efficient is the way to go, apply overcharged to the MC's.

Sustained DPS is more important when you need to drop shields as you will have regen and SCB's propping up the targets shields.

Thanks yet again Ceekay - whilst it’s mucked up some of the mat trading I did yesterday, better to know what now :)

Do you reckon what I’ve done with the armour/shielding etc looks ok? Still finding reading of the defensive stats a bit opaque...

I may have to rename this vessel in your honour at this rate..!

My krait is lightweight shield tank. Rails g5x2 and x3 pacifiers g5. This is my favourite ship. Even a threat 6 pirate skirmish goes my way. 3 sec boost 2 pips in all and a scb to top up the prismatic.
Lots of guardian stuff too raising integrity/shields, and of course an armoured pp to ensure pvp capacity hehe.
Fab ship.

Don't go renaming the ship m8 that's 10,000 light years bad luck apparently! ;)

Personally I prefer the extreme fast regen/recharge high resistance approach but a 1200+ mJ shield should be pretty solid, perhaps a 5B SCB bank as a back up might be worthwhile (use the thermal vent lasers to cool the ship before triggering an SCB or it'll get toasty)

I find that gimballed weapons on the upper mounts can stop firing as the hull obscures their line of fire not a biggie but I generally fit fixed MC's and keep them both overcharged as long range has twice the shot speed so the targeting reticule lead will be different for each weapon.

As for armour I generally use heavy duty + deep plating to maximise hit points and an HRP wouldn't hurt either, here's a revised build https://is.gd/5MGsaE

PS set 2.5 pips systems, 1 engines and 2.5 weapons as the Kraits have very efficient boost cycles

Top Bottom