Krait MK2... I thought it would be better...

Greetings Commanders!

I just bought a Krait MK2 after hours playing space taxi for rich tourists to afford it and... it feels like it's not made for combat purpose.

Before buying the K.MK2, I was playing with a Cobra MK3 and it felt very manoeuvrable, I could follow the ennemies while reducing speed, speeding up.
But K.MK2 is so slow to turn arround, I can't follow ennemie ships. Most of the time, they can get behind me and then, I have to flee, turn arround and the come back for the fight.
With the Cobra, I only had the slow down a bit, let the ship pass and get behind him.

How can I get my Krait to be more manoeuvrable in battle?? (I'm Novice rank... I can only kill my rank or the ones below)
I assumed with a ship worth 45billions (without extra modules), I would be able to deal with ship at least one rank above mine.

And in top of that, I have super limited jump limit. 7LY... I had almost 13LY with my Cobra.
In that matter, I also thought I would be able to make farther jumps. Or at the very least, the same jump limit.
Because of the limit, I can't even reach engeneers. (I guess, I'll have to switch ships and the transfer my Krait if that's possible)

How do I get my speed limit to a decent number? II guess Farseer is the only to help me but I need material I dont have.

The for any advice or help.

In the meantime...

... With the Krait MK2... Elite Dangerous rules!

Commander Edarn, signing off.

Sounds like you just need a few pointers, and some practice.

If your Krait's jump range is 7ly, you more than likely have an FSD that is too small.

It’s a very good combat ship - but its yaw capability is quite bad, so don’t use yaw to turn the ship! I suspect that’s your problem + practice. Instead you move the throttle to the blue area and roll the ship 90 degrees and pitch/pull back to turn the ship around. When you do that it’s quite maneuverable.

Last edited:
I've just bought a Krait Mk 2 for mining and it does seem a little under-powered.
Mining Krait
Combat Cobra

The Krait is slower and has slower pitch rate (27 degrees per second vs. 33), albeit it's carrying more load and has much more fire power.

I don't see the issue with the jump range though. If I take out the engineering I get 23 ly and the Krait actually goes a little further than the Cobra, with or without engineering.

Last edited:
The Krait - when fitted with engineered modules (deep charge fsd & drag drives) is a real beast...
It can run away from almost anything, the hard point placement is really good - no significant convergence problems...
The range (jump) is over 30ly with a full loading.
Using a ship with just the basic modules is likely to cause disappointment. The Python, for example, is a real dog - until you fit class A modules and engineer them. Same is true of most ships...

I guess that your Cobra is top of the line?
Cheers CMDR ColP

Ooooh - you have to share that 45 Bil Krait build! I am intrigued :)

Lol 45millions xD
But felt like billions when I bought it. xD

Instead you move the throttle to the blue area and roll the ship 90 degrees and pitch/pull back to turn the ship around. When you do that it’s quite maneuverable.

I don't use Yaw, it would take me forever to turn arround.
I use throttle and pitch/roll. But Cobra does it much faster, allowing me to let the enemy ship pass by and get behind.

I guess that your Cobra is top of the line?
Cheers CMDR ColP

Nope, not really, far from it. Had some engenered parts but still had a long way to go to the top.

But combats felt more responsive.
With the Cobra, I was able to lose the ships that where chasing me with a 180° to get behind them or partially behind them.
With the Krait, it's harder, much harder if the enemy is higher in rank.

Last time, I got lucky some federal ships where nearby and took the enemy ship down.
The ship was 2 ranks above mine and I could not get it off my tail. The enemy ship was always behind me no matter what.

I strongly suggest you put your build into coriolis.io and play around with it. Something is not right. The Krait is a little more unweildy than the Cobra, but there isn't much in it. The speed is 278m/s instead of 305, the pitch rate is 27 degrees per second rather than 33. It shouldn't make that much difference.

On the other hand, the stock Krait is 22 degrees per second and only 245m/s. You would definitely notice that. You must upgrade thrusters at least, and upgrading frame shift will get you a very decent range.

you need at least to A-rate that Krait, then invest some time in engineering. Even Felicity alone can provide with a decent boost in jump range and thrusters

I just dumped my mining Krait for a Python. Thing is, I liked the view better from the Krait. The hard point placement is pretty cool too. I can see that back when I started, if I had gone from Vulture to Krait, rather than Vulture to Python, I may have stayed in it a long time.

It is a good ship. It would take some time to engineer and A rate if I only just started playing a short while ago.

I bet you can run some better cargo missions now, attracting the right type of enemy, earn money and/or mats, pretty soon you’ll have bit by bit got it in solid shape.

I do feel your mild disappointment though. You figure, all that hard earned money, a giant leap up and you possibly feel like you have landed a lemon. You’d have felt the same if you had held out for an Anaconda. All ships of the shelf are underwhelming, particularly after the long wait to get your grubby hands on them.

Later in the game, you’ll have stacks of cash, engineers at max rating, some mats laying around and you can pretty much buy any ship and get it in good shape before you fly it out of the slot for the first time. In a way, I kinda miss those days, a challenge gone. Enjoy the ride.

I just dumped my mining Krait for a Python. Thing is, I liked the view better from the Krait. The hard point placement is pretty cool too. I can see that back when I started, if I had gone from Vulture to Krait, rather than Vulture to Python, I may have stayed in it a long time.

It is a good ship. It would take some time to engineer and A rate if I only just started playing a short while ago.

I bet you can run some better cargo missions now, attracting the right type of enemy, earn money and/or mats, pretty soon you’ll have bit by bit got it in solid shape.

I do feel your mild disappointment though. You figure, all that hard earned money, a giant leap up and you possibly feel like you have landed a lemon. You’d have felt the same if you had held out for an Anaconda. All ships of the shelf are underwhelming, particularly after the long wait to get your grubby hands on them.

Later in the game, you’ll have stacks of cash, engineers at max rating, some mats laying around and you can pretty much buy any ship and get it in good shape before you fly it out of the slot for the first time. In a way, I kinda miss those days, a challenge gone. Enjoy the ride.
Aww, it was nice! All about the hard earned money in the game. I built my hangar mostly before VO's, and I exactly know what do you mean. I was keep most of my early ships, only two of them I sold to buy new ones and to be honest I'm proud of it. Never used lately nerfed methods for quick money and in my opinion Elite should mean this to everyone. All ships are sweeter in this way, when you know how much you worked for them. But we have few days Elites in their shiny Anacondas and then most of them leave without they'd know what this game mean. But I'm nobody to say this is wrong or not.

Give the Chieftain a try. It's a little lighter on the weapons but it's a medium with very high maneuverability for its size. I use one over a krait in combat zones personally.

Each next your ship which is bigger will be not for combat. And without any idea how people like it. I've bought and sold back Anaconda three times just because of the way it flies.

The Krait Mk. II has an insane boost - very light on the capacitor, and recharges very quickly. It's a lot more manoeuvrable than you give it credit for.

45mcr for a Krait Mk. II is not a lot - fully A-rated, it should cost more than 100mcr.

Top Bottom