Krait MK2... I thought it would be better...

Later in the game, you’ll have stacks of cash, engineers at max rating, some mats laying around and you can pretty much buy any ship and get it in good shape before you fly it out of the slot for the first time. In a way, I kinda miss those days, a challenge gone. Enjoy the ride.
You can still get that experience now, just by hanging out on the fringes of civilization. During the II in the Witch Head Nebula, I found myself flying around with C-rated components more than once, because that was more convenient than a 1200-ly round trip to buy proper gear or a multi-hour wait to summon a ship.

You can still get that experience now, just by hanging out on the fringes of civilization. During the II in the Witch Head Nebula, I found myself flying around with C-rated components more than once, because that was more convenient than a 1200-ly round trip to buy proper gear or a multi-hour wait to summon a ship.

Aye, I have a bit of that now, been out in Colonia. It’s obviously not like sitting in Jameson’s, like a kid in a sweet shop. Strange as it may sound, reading OP, I got nostalgic for that heart thumping minute when you commit the vast part of you hard earned on a new ship. I recognise the slight sinking moment when, off the shelf, you fly it out and wonder what you have just done. Of course with hindsight, you know it works out ok in the end.

Try upgrading your engines to A rated and use a bi weave shield generator. Swap out one of your large lasers for a multicannon and swap out your medium laser for a mining lazer. It will double your mining speed. You might want to put together a dedicated mining ship to free up some of your combat effectiveness.

I put together this mining build. It costs 31 million but it's far more efficient at mining and I think you'll have an easier time. There is some wiggle room for personal taste and with a grade 2 charge enhancement on the power distributor you can run 3 mining lasers at once.

Try upgrading your engines to A rated and use a bi weave shield generator. Swap out one of your large lasers for a multicannon and swap out your medium laser for a mining lazer. It will double your mining speed. You might want to put together a dedicated mining ship to free up some of your combat effectiveness.
You have a seriously over-specified power plant, but it's only worth half a light-year if you downgrade. Select it for the lowest mass that does the job.
You can shave a little more if you upgrade to a D life-support.
My rule of thumb is always to A-class the thrusters and FSD, but I do like a long jump-range.
You'll get sick of waiting for that fuel-scoop. Maybe swap it with the refinery?
The shields aren't doing you any favours. Upgrade to D for the mass or B for the integrity.
If you used a mix of multicannons and lasers, you can use the lasers against shields and cannons against hull. That keeps the power draw down so you can downgrade the power distributor, but I'm far from a combat expert.

You're braver than I thought.
My MKii is my favorite ship; combat beast, perma boost, jump 33.6ly. Cost north of 270m and plenty of grind.
Now please tell me you do not fly without a rebuy too.

I guess I'll have to play the space taxi again to get the money. o_O
What is a rebuy?

Went to Maia system to buy the meta-alloy.
I'll have to check for the other parts you guys mentioned and then go buy them and then visit the engineers.

What is a rebuy?

I'll have to check for the other parts you guys mentioned and then go buy them and then visit the engineers.

Rebuy is the amount of credits you need to get a carbon copy of your ship should it get exploded.

You can normally see it in the right hand panel (inside your ship) under the ‘ship’ tab.

If you die,
And don’t have rebuy,
Through salty tears,
Wave your ship bye bye.

The biggest issue is OP comparing a medium multipurpose ship to a small ship's maneuverability and speed. It's not a fighter, but it's the more combat-leaning multipurpose ships.

Bigger ships are going to be slower and very dependent on higher-grade modules. If you have to choose between a medium-sized ship with low-grade modules, or a smaller ship with high-grade modules, the smaller ship will be more effective in combat. If you're looking to multipurpose, you'll have to put combat on the back burner until you can get the parts upgraded.

I'd advise against combat in a ship that's not optimized for it. If you're going to fight, you want to be as durable as possible to make sure you come out of a scrap in one piece. 250mj~ of shielding, 700~ hull isn't much on a big target like the Krait. Even without engineers, you should be able to hit 400+ shields, and 2000+ armor. That's before you add a shield bank.

When trading or mining, especially in a lightly modified ship, your only goal in a hostile encounter should be escaping. Don't fight, just bail out.

You can stick around and fight once you get some engineers unlocked, and have a better grasp on maneuvering in combat.

Rebuy is the amount of credits you need to get a carbon copy of your ship should it get exploded.

You can normally see it in the right hand panel (inside your ship) under the ‘ship’ tab.

If you die,
And don’t have rebuy,
Through salty tears,
Wave your ship bye bye.

Oh yes. Sorry, my game is in french.
Yep I have insurance. I have like 108m left from my taxi time. :)

What is a rebuy?

You can substantially improve your build without spending any additional money. Here's an example: https://s.orbis.zone/4g6_
The build you posted has about 34M in upgrades over a stock Krait - with this build you only spend 21M, so you get some cash back for rebuy and tweaking. Moreover, you can get some very significant improvements with just modest engineering - the upgrades applied in this build can all be obtained from a single engineer, Elvira, who is trivial to unlock. And they are low level upgrades, so minimal grind needed to get the necessary materials.

That said, for running a multi-purpose ship, you will get better results if you get comfortable swapping modules. For instance, you will almost never mine and use the SRV in the same session, so you can swap the refinery and SRV hanger depending on what you will be doing. If you aren't going far enough to need the fuel scoop, leave it behind for more cargo space, hull reinforcements, a fighter hanger, or such like. Certainly if you are seeking out combat, rather than just defending yourself from pirates, you will want to swap out for as much combat gear as possible. But this build should already start to feel like a ship that's worth your money.

Last edited:
Oh yes. Sorry, my game is in french.
Yep I have insurance. I have like 108m left from my taxi time. :)

Good, my goal (besides upgrades) when I was a fresh Cmdr was to have at least 5 rebuys in the bank. In any case, 1 just will not do. Now, get out and get grinding!

Good luck Cmdr

Top Bottom