Ships Krait v Python

I am closing in on the funds for a ship in the 50mil range.

Reviewing some Fandom and Youtube reviews I am between the Python and Krait MK2 for a multipurpose vessel.

I usually mine and run cargo missions with some exploration on the side.

For people who have had both before did you have a preference when comparing final stats?

I sold my Python and own four Kraits. Make of that what you will, but for me the answer is clear.

Python can carry more (additional C6 optional slot), but for me the Krait is superior in every other way.

The cool thing is these two ships share the same hardpoints and core internals. It makes sense to buy one of those ships, outfit/engineer it, then buy the other, swap modules and have a fly-off. See which one wins.

Check this thread for my builds (some changes have since been made, like removing armor) and some thoughts on the Krait/Python

I sold my Python and own four Kraits. Make of that what you will, but for me the answer is clear.

Python can carry more (additional C6 optional slot), but for me the Krait is superior in every other way.

The cool thing is these two ships share the same hardpoints and core internals. It makes sense to buy one of those ships, outfit/engineer it, then buy the other, swap modules and have a fly-off. See which one wins.

Even though I'm not a straight combat guy, the loss in maneuverability makes me lean toward the Krait. Also gives me around 10 mil to play with for outfitting.

Reviewing some Fandom and Youtube reviews I am between the Python and Krait MK2 for a multipurpose vessel.

For people who have had both before did you have a preference when comparing final stats?
Give us some more information...
How many funds? Do you have access to engineering?
Do you play in solo/PG or more in open?
With those infos we can give you better build advice.
By your statement above, I'd say Python. As a miner/mission runner the Python is king.

Give us some more information...
How many funds? Do you have access to engineering?
Do you play in solo/PG or more in open?
With those infos we can give you better build advice.
By your statement above, I'd say Python. As a miner/mission runner the Python is king.

Good point for context. Around 48 mil right now. I only play solo, got about 100 or so hours into the game so far.

No access to engineering yet. Just trying to build up funds and explore a bit before I really dive in.

Was thinking about getting into a Vulture to build my combat legs so I wanted to build a courier/miner tank to fund other things.

Good point for context. Around 48 mil right now. I only play solo, got about 100 or so hours into the game so far.

No access to engineering yet. Just trying to build up funds and explore a bit before I really dive in.

Was thinking about getting into a Vulture to build my combat legs so I wanted to build a courier/miner tank to fund other things.
An somewhat A-rated Python costs ~110 million (rebuy 6 million), with reactive armor ~250 (rebuy around 12 million).
Don't change to your Python too early!
Without A rated modules you're in a world of hurt against NPCs.
For exploration your Asp is fine, only the Krait Phantom is better.
A Vulture is a fantastic starter combat ship. With your funds I'd refrain from getting a Python now.

Krait offers Ship Launched Fighter
Python offers an additional c6 optional slot
Otherwise the differences are marginal imo...

If a fighter isn't your thing, and the optionals of the Krait are fine for you I would decide which look/cockpit view you like more :)

And Bigmaec is right.
A Python with absolute minimum outfitting is 80mio. Add some rebuys and you are facing 90-100 before you should switch to it...

Last edited:
An somewhat A-rated Python costs ~110 million (rebuy 6 million), with reactive armor ~250 (rebuy around 12 million).
Don't change to your Python too early!
Without A rated modules you're in a world of hurt against NPCs.
For exploration your Asp is fine, only the Krait Phantom is better.
A Vulture is a fantastic starter combat ship. With your funds I'd refrain from getting a Python now.

That makes since, I wasnt even thinking about that aspect of it. Just from myinexperience, when you get a stronger ship do the NPC's go up in level as well? For interdictions and such.

Even before I had the money for a Python, I knew I wanted the Python. I'd read a fair bit about it and set my heart on it. When I got it, it widened my game by a huge margin. I have never regretted the decision and still love it to this day.

(I wish there was a way to see how many hours you have spent in each ship you own)

I have at some point since owned every ship available. I tried the Kraits. They are great ships but it never made me look back and regret my choice. The ONLY thing I prefer the Krait for is the cockpit view with the 'through the floor' view. That I love.

Last edited:
I bought the Krait when I had 70m and upgraded over the next 3 weeks ,got the 15% discount too

It replaced my Cobra and as I already had a good trade route it rapidly expanded my credits by allowing me to take 180T missions never looked back

I loved it for my first mining forays and it paid for the Cutter that replaced it at Borann

Its my joy (I have 3 now) Steely goes ahead and destroys enemy ships and harvests their mats for engineering and I still spend more than half my time in her

Peerless in the Combat Zone always improving over time (as I do)and im looking forward to AX and Thargoids in the future

The Krait is a good and very fun all-purpose ship.
The Python is versatile too, although less maneuverable in combat, but if you want a medium ship with superb storage capacity, then the Python is king. Nothing beats or is equal to the Python in that respect.

I am still waiting for an elegant medium Imperial competitor :).

Python for 180-192t cargo runs.
Krait for mining (less capacity, better visibility, far better speed for out running pirates)
Krait for exploration.
Krait for combat.

Top Bottom