Krait2 vs. Python questions...

Greetings All,

OK, I am in an AspX and I am looking to move up a tad. I get the impression that both the K2 and Python are fairly even ships, (yes, ladies, your both pretty), putting looks aside, I am told the Python is a tad more tanky and can haul more, the K2 is slightly more maneuverable and has a SLF. I want to know is the SLF all that good at helping you in combat? Does the higher skilled NPC hired for the SLF suck up a lot of your income? Up til now I have been doing hauling with some combat, I find it annoying when I getting interdicted, that I can't tell what type of ship is after me so I can determine if I can take them instead of avoiding all the time. I don't do mining, and I tend to play in solo. I know the Python is more "sluggish" but, I was going to start engineering this next ship and see what that is all about.

Any real good reason(s) to get one over the other? Thank you all for any advice!

War Kittten

I had the same dilemma a while back and went with the Python, can't remember why though. She's served me well. I went the next step and moved to an Annie, hated it, went back to my Python.

Honestly, I'm not sure it's ever "worth" fitting an SLF to a Krait.

Basically, whatever an SLF can usefully assist you in exploding, a Krait should be able to explode by itself.
Conversely, if an SLF does provide a useful improvement to a Krait, it probably means the Krait, itself, is a lousy build.

Having said that, having an SLF aboard my Krait definitely saved the ship on one occasion, although that was when, after an update, power-priorities got messed-up so you'd often lose shields when you deployed your weapons.

When choosing between the Python and Krait, it's probably best to look at what role you're using it for, and what modules fit in various slots.
If, for example, you're building a DC mining ship and you've got C5 Collectors fitted into a Python's C6 slots then you might have been better off using a Krait and taking advantage of it's superior speed and agility.

I'd suggest using Coriolis to test out builds using both the Krait and Python and then see if one ship works better than the other.

Last edited:
I am told the Python is a tad more tanky and can haul more, the K2 is slightly more maneuverable and has a SLF.

Generally speaking yes. The Python has the largest cargo capacity of any ship that can fit on a medium pad. It is a better cargo and passenger hauler and mining ship. The MK II is a better fighter and explorer.

I want to know is the SLF all that good at helping you in combat?

It's situational. At times they help out a lot, at others they are little more than a distraction for enemies while you kill them yourself. Against unengineered ships they do well once the pilot is ranked up but suffer more in Haz Res, Compromised Nav Beacons and Conflict Zones.

People always think of slfs in terms of combat only. If you ever go exploring and take an slf with you a highly ranked NPC pilot is better at flying the ship while you fly the slf. They stay in range better and are more skilled at landing, avoiding other ships and so on. Elite NPCs are also able to kill any other NPCs that interdict you when you occasionally land at a station or planet base, as the interdicting ships are generally not engineered.

Does the higher skilled NPC hired for the SLF suck up a lot of your income?

10% of your profits on any paying activity at Elite if you train them up yourself.

I know the Python is more "sluggish" but, I was going to start engineering this next ship and see what that is all about.

There is not much in it. With engineering my Python can boost to 500, My Krait II to 535 (because some speed is lost due to armour and shields). Both ships "come alive" with engineering.

Any real good reason(s) to get one over the other? Thank you all for any advice!

No, get both, then between them you will have the 2 best multipurpose medium ships in the game.

Last edited:
I started early with Elite. A quick primer:

Sidewinder - Cobra Mk.III - [DBX/T6/AspX] - Python - ENGINEERS APPEAR - Anaconda - Cutter - Krait2 (after 18 month break).

I tried SLF but found it just ate credits and certainly didn't pay for itself.

"Git gud" and SLF don't matter.

In my engineered Cobra I can take on the hardest wings in PvE in a Haz Res.

I'm currently building a PvP Krait2.

Python is a good ship, but I preferred the Annie, and now Cutter for trading/mining/combat.

If I need a medium ship I use my engineered and trusty T6 without shields. Even in open it rocks!

For mats and Guardian stuff I use an explorer build DBX.

I'm building the Krait for PvP fun (Big 3 are not agile enough).

Cobra is just for trolling NPCs, but weak in PvP environment.

Krait and Python have the same core internals and weapons and defensive capability.

Krait has excellent weapon spread (tight), and is stronger overall (shields and hull).

If you want to combat-trade, Krait.

If you want to trade-combat, Python.

If you can afford both, share parts and combat in Krait; Python for everything else.

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed - especially when fighting Scouts - is that the Python's canopy seems to be very fragile. The crickets were popping my windscreen CONSTANTLY; I was getting tired of it.
hehe - made a post about it; here it is:

Since I switched to my Krait, I haven't had ANY trouble with my canopy.
Well...other than that player who went right through it with a pair of PA's - but at the time I was too busy blowing up to worry about the canopy lol. :ROFLMAO:

The SLF is the equivalent of a independent C4 hardpoint that can die if focused. They can be quite good depending on the situation. One can keep a T10 with no turrets occupied forever; on the other hand an eagle with rails can punch their ticket quickly. Pilots take a fixed percentage (ALL the time) based on their initial % + 1 for each rank they gain.

The SLF is the equivalent of a independent C4 hardpoint that can die if focused. They can be quite good depending on the situation. One can keep a T10 with no turrets occupied forever; on the other hand an eagle with rails can punch their ticket quickly. Pilots take a fixed percentage (ALL the time) based on their initial % + 1 for each rank they gain.
A C4 hardpoint that can draw fire. I find them great for that during wing assassinations.

You didn't say what you wanted the ship for.
If its pure Combat then they are pretty even : SLF distraction on one side, More Tank on the other. The extra weapon on the SLF can be an advantage, and it can be utterly pointless depending on the situation, IMHO its overrated.
If its for also doing missions, mining or trade, then the Python wins : It carries more and/or has more options without module swapping, and if you take the SLF the Krait loses out even more.

My Scottish friend is in a very similar situation where he spends most his time exploring with small bouts of combat with me every few weeks.

Staying true to his national scroogeiness (it's a word 😉) he'll hire an expert ranked pilot before we go out pew-pewing.

Everytime we return to base to rearm and refuel he'll fire said pilot before cashing in his bounties, then hires anotger if we're going back out.

Personally I think the trade-off of a permanent -10% to income is worth it for an Elite pilot that can add a lot of firepower to the fight but it's another option.

Just don't expect any Xmas cards off them if you follow his technique.

Greetings All,

OK, I am in an AspX and I am looking to move up a tad. I get the impression that both the K2 and Python are fairly even ships, (yes, ladies, your both pretty), putting looks aside, I am told the Python is a tad more tanky and can haul more, the K2 is slightly more maneuverable and has a SLF. I want to know is the SLF all that good at helping you in combat? Does the higher skilled NPC hired for the SLF suck up a lot of your income? Up til now I have been doing hauling with some combat, I find it annoying when I getting interdicted, that I can't tell what type of ship is after me so I can determine if I can take them instead of avoiding all the time. I don't do mining, and I tend to play in solo. I know the Python is more "sluggish" but, I was going to start engineering this next ship and see what that is all about.

War Kittten

When you get interdicted press "H" on your keyboard (that should be the default key), it will lock the nearest threat and you can see exactly who wants a dance with you. Alternatively, monitor your chat. NPC Pirates will usually announce themselves before they attack, allowing you to switch into the "Contacts" tab of your lefthand UI tab and match pirate name with ship (E.g. Pirate McPirateface says "That's a big haul", look up Pirate McPirateface under contacts and see he's just in a Cobra).

As for SLF: I've been using an SLF since my early Keelback days and have no regrets. They bring additional firepower to the table, they can distract enemies (so you can disengage for a moment or wake out) or they flush enemies out, so you can line up your own shot. Depending how much you're into "RP", you may even get attached to your Co-Pilot. Mine has been with me since 2018 and she's finally about to hit Elite rank (I ranked her up from the lowest rank).

Krait vs Python: Both ships are awesome and it's not a question of "either...or", but of "get both and get them multiple times". I own two Pythons (Mission Runner and Miner) and two Kraits (Explorer, Anti Xeno) myself. Kraits are great for Exploration and Combat, Python is great for mission running, mining, trading.

I'm flying a Krait + fighter at the moment but my heart still belongs to the Python.

I just think the Python is a gorgeous ship and I much prefer it's weapon placement over the Krait. The Python also has that gloomy, warm, inviting cockpit.

Mmmm.... -saunters off towards shipyard-

1 thing you may not have thought off, which ship interior do you prefer. I use my python alot but hate sitting on the left hand side. On the other hand I don't have a use for my krait but love its interior and canopy, plus you can see your hardpoints either side of the cockpit

Just a reminder - if you are not already elite combat your SLF pilot will take 50% of your experience earned when he/she is on board your ship (even if you don't launch the SLF) none is taken if they are not on board.

I tried the Python, Krait and Phantom. The Phantom was most fun.
For me the SLF is too much hassle, all three ships can take out any NPC without the SLF. I would even say that I am faster without it because I don't need to launch it, give orders and wait until it's docked again. For me it's all about how the ship feels and the handling and the Phantom is definitely the best in that regard.

Ultimately get both, it depends on the situation but in general terms if you're feeling the need for more cargo space take the python if you feel the need for more firepower take the krait. Personally Ifly the krait coming from a Type 6 so really felt the need for more firepower and she makes an excellent armed merchant and platform to train anNPC crew member. Regarding crew training, I hired a novice cutting out the need for a gimballed trainer though it does cost an extra2% but I'm not fussed. Also the krait can run cold so if Ideply the SLF before a wannabe interdictor arrives they'll target the fighter in preference making it much easier to get shots in before they take notice of me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom