Lack of ways to support ED financially?

The paint jobs, decals, ship kits - none of it really matters when you are flying 99% of time in a cockpit. And it has been 5 years since Horizon came out, so will it be another 5 years later when some Paid Season comes next?

In 5 years i spent 1000's of $ on different games portion of which could have been Elite Dangerous. But there is nothing to buy... in Elite Dangerous. Even Voice Attack + Voice Packs aren't made by Frontier.

I sincerely hope with Odyssey this bizarre model will change and players like me that feel left out, would have a chance to spend something our money on in Elite Dangerous.

If you're looking to support a worthy cause there is plenty of charities out there. Frontier isn't one of them.

I've just had a thought. If they sold the Cobra Mk IV in game for a tidy sum, say $450,000, then we could finally kill off the threads demanding a Cobra Mk IV.

edit : - and to preserve the exclusivity, you could only buy it used off a player that already had one......

LOL.

Homeless person: It's getting cold, did we get any good gloves in this week?

Shelter volunteer: No, but we've got a dozen boxes of something called Elite Dangerous: Horizons.

Homeless person: A what?

Yeah I'll admit it wasn't the best thought through idea, but my second suggestion was more practical at least!

I sincerely hope with Odyssey this bizarre model will change and players like me that feel left out, would have a chance to spend something our money on in Elite Dangerous.
RDO gold and 10,000,000 changes of clothes for your new walking avatar. You're welcome!

People can scoff and ride hard all they want, but OP is just asking for more ways to give FD money. You can't knock that and not look foolish.

I wish there was more cockpit customization to pay FD for. The only options we have are down-right tacky. You're telling me that after I spend a veritable fortune on a gorgeous spaceship, my only internal options are dashboard bobbles and christmas lights hastily zip-tied up? :cautious:

Imagine being at a Lamborghini dealer and, upon asking the salesman what your internal options are, he holds up a bobblehead and a mangle of christmas lights.
Welcome to ED! 🤡🎉

Yeah, pay for progress kind of staff, like unlocking Engineers, or boosting through reputation grind - it would help a lot for new players to catch up with out making them overpowered compared to other players.
Catch up mechanics are very popular among other game and well accepted in todays world.

That's a No to PTW for me.

The one leveller this game has is to really get the good stuff, you have to put some time in. Frankly every roll of an engineer mod should cost something, you ever been to a custom mechanic that does the work for parts and free time?

you ever been to a custom mechanic that does the work for parts and free time?

you ever been to a custom mechanic that asks you to bring the silly components from all over the galaxy, instead of selling them to you and making a profit?

progression in games is nice. the engineering grind is a pretty lame excuse for a progression. i've played over 1000h, most mat and guardian grinds i could have bought for money. finally this cheap and bland game design just meant i ended ignoring most of what you call "the good stuff" (without much real base, imo), which is basically huge ships with huge amount of pointless modification.

Frontier is a highly successful, quickly growing, multimillion pound business that's doing juuuuuuuuust fine right now. It isn't a "cause" needing "support".

Ordinary consumers trying to work out how to go the extra mile to "support" wealthy corporations/PLCs, whose job it is to extract money from the public (FDev isn't EA but it also hasn't been your local, small-time indie business for a long time), all because they like a game or consumer product marketed by the company, is one of the wildest absurdities of consumerism today.

It's like something Paul Verhoeven or Kurt Vonnegut would slip into a dystopian late-20th Century sci-fi satire, and people back then would have complained it was too heavy-handed and far-fetched. I can almost hear The Gonk playing distantly right now.

I'm not singling out OP here... I see this kinda thing all the time now. Once upon a time it was just sports teams and religions that got this kinda treatment.

If you're genuinely dying to haemorrhage fat stacks in "support" of something, there's a funny thing going on right now where sickness and poverty are rife, a lot of hard-working individuals and families are suddenly finding themselves unemployed and living below the bread line, and thousands of small-scale, local businesses/employers genuinely struggling through Covid and in real danger of going out of business... maybe you could find a way to help some of them out instead...

If you must "support" FDev, you could always support them by buying some shares, and at least get something (hopefully) of actual value for your outlay, as opposed to paying to skip over most of the actual content of the game as requested ("catch up mechanics").

This whole "supply-and-demand" business only comes close to working if consumers are, to at least some small degree, careful and selective on where they spend their money. Otherwise, we just get low-grade, low-effort trash. See: the majority of mobile games.

Last edited:
Frontier is a highly successful, quickly growing, multimillion pound business that's doing juuuuuuuuust fine right now. It isn't a "cause" needing "support".

Ordinary consumers trying to work out how to go the extra mile to "support" wealthy corporations/PLCs, whose job it is to extract money from the public (FDev isn't EA but it also hasn't been your local, small-time indie business for a long time), all because they like a game or consumer product marketed by the company, is one of the wildest absurdities of consumerism today.

It's like something Paul Verhoeven or Kurt Vonnegut would slip into a dystopian late-20th Century sci-fi satire, and people back then would have complained it was too heavy-handed and far-fetched. I can almost hear The Gonk playing distantly right now.

I'm not singling out OP here... I see this kinda thing all the time now. Once upon a time it was just sports teams and religions that got this kinda treatment.

If you're genuinely dying to haemorrhage fat stacks in "support" of something, there's a funny thing going on right now where sickness and poverty are rife, a lot of hard-working individuals and families are suddenly finding themselves unemployed and living below the bread line, and thousands of small-scale, local businesses/employers genuinely struggling through Covid and in real danger of going out of business... maybe you could find a way to help some of them out instead...

If you must "support" FDev, you could always support them by buying some shares, and at least get something (hopefully) of actual value for your outlay, as opposed to paying to skip over most of the actual content of the game as requested ("catch up mechanics").

This whole "supply-and-demand" business only comes close to working if consumers are, to at least some small degree, careful and selective on where they spend their money. Otherwise, we just get low-grade, low-effort trash. See: the majority of mobile games.

Can’t thumb this enough, and I couldn’t agree more. Consumer thinking like this is dangerous, and if enough are brainwashed into thinking that this is normal it will only be a detriment for all consumers.

This is especially true since the rise of mobile gaming and micro transactions. Some P2W players spend literally tens of thousand of dollars a month (I’m not even exaggerating) on micro transactions to get ahead. The industry allows it and it’s slowly becoming more and more normal.

Last edited:
Tencent Holdings LTD (one of the largest Chinese tech investment companies) have an almost 10% stake in Frontier shares since they started publicly trading on the stock market.

Frontier had an almost £90 million revenue turnover in 2019, so they’re not short of cash.

If you really want to throw money at them then buy all the ship kits/skins/bobble heads/COVAS voices and buy an Arx pack every week.

They’ve already stated in one of Q&As that there will be plenty of new cosmetics for all the new toys that Odyssey will bring to the table.

Not quite sure what the purpose of this post was but if you’ve bought the game and buy all the cosmetics you are supporting them just fine or I can DM you my bank details and you can just give me the cash 😉

Top Bottom