Hardware & Technical Latest Nvidia Ampere Rumours

I wonder if there will be a business case to swap the non-limited 3080 for a ti, though I guess at this point I'd rather continue to mine ETH instead if marginal gaming gains. Plus this Suprim X has kinda grew on me.

A 3080 with uncapped Ethash rates might be able to be sold for more than a 3080 Ti will cost once it's released. Then again, it might not, and a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, as they say.

In more normal times, when cards can actually be bought at will, I might recommend trying to do the swap, but not in the current market.

A 3080 with uncapped Ethash rates might be able to be sold for more than a 3080 Ti will cost once it's released. Then again, it might not, and a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, as they say.

In more normal times, when cards can actually be bought at will, I might recommend trying to do the swap, but not in the current market.

Haha, yes, I'd certainly buy the 3080ti first before selling the 3080. :)
The automotive sector is now bracing for the shortage to last as long as the whole year now.

Building new chip plants takes about 2-3 years. TSMC gotten quite good at it... Will last much longer. no one is willing to take huge risks at the moment.

Building new chip plants takes about 2-3 years. TSMC gotten quite good at it... Will last much longer. no one is willing to take huge risks at the moment.
It seems that in the United States instead of one planned new factory, TSMC will build 6 new.

😷

Last edited:
Looks like NVIDIA's limiter has been bypassed:

I can't read Vietnamese and haven't bothered to translate the source yet, but from what little I can make out it looks like a driver mod, probably just using older driver components that predate the lock on the 3060 simply by disabling driver signing requirements. This is the first thing I would have tried if I had a 3060, but it's not something I would have expected to work if NVIDIA had put any effort at all into their limiter, which apparently they did not.

Edit: Upon further investigation, this was a false attribution. Algorthim being run on the 3060s in the sources links isn't Ethash, but Octopus, which was never capped.

Last edited:
Some interesting observations regarding DX12 driver overhead from Hardware Unboxed:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLEIJhunaW8

For the 6000 series, the assumption has generally been that AMD's 'Infinity Cache' has had trouble masking the limited main memory bandwidth of their parts at higher resolutions, as the cards have done very well at 1080p and 1044p, but have fallen behind Ampere at 4k. However, it seems that driver overhead on NVIDIA's parts could be the reason for that discrepancy.

Edit: Some background about the different approaches NVIDIA and AMD have taken in the past, with regard to drivers and scheduling.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIoZB-cnjc0

So, I guess the question now is, why, when NVIDIA currently supports hardware accelerated scheduling on all of their Maxwell and newer parts, is there such a large amount of overhead in DX12 apparent?

Last edited:
NVIDIA forgot to include their mining limiter in a set of preview drivers:

So, anyone hoping to mine Ether on their 3060s can now do so, no modding involved.

Based on reports, it only seems to work if there's only one card connected to the motherboard, and a monitor has to be plugged in too. A dummy plug can also work. Otherwise, the limiter still kicks.
So, it looks less like nVidia forgot to include the limiter, and more like they either forgot parts of it, or it's simply a bugged version. In any case, it looks like they removed the download from their site, so yeah, they messed up.

Still, this all reminded me of "Devil May Cry 5, Cracked by Capcom" :D

Based on reports, it only seems to work if there's only one card connected to the motherboard, and a monitor has to be plugged in too. A dummy plug can also work.

This should be fairly easy to workaround for anyone that the limiter was actually targeting. Nothing stopping someone from virtualizing one stripped down system per GPU and mirroring that setup across a farm.

So, it looks less like nVidia forgot to include the limiter, and more like they either forgot parts of it, or it's simply a bugged version. In any case, it looks like they removed the download from their site, so yeah, they messed up.

I suspect they partially disabled the limiter for testing purposes then forgot to reenable it on the driver pushed out to the public developer channel.

Of course, no way to pull them now, given this is the internet and all.

This should be fairly easy to workaround for anyone that the limiter was actually targeting. Nothing stopping someone from virtualizing one stripped down system per GPU and mirroring that setup across a farm.

I suspect they partially disabled the limiter for testing purposes then forgot to reenable it on the driver pushed out to the public developer channel.

Of course, no way to pull them now, given this is the internet and all.

I wanted to chip-in, that in the end miners and pros will find a way around this limitation, so effectively they are only gimping gamers who wish to mine back the mark-up on the price. Anyway, I guess someone will lose his/her job. :)

Alder Lake looks so nice, I just wonder how the roll-out will look like, I am especially concerned by DDR5 RAM availability now that it is confirmed that it will need a different mobo (i.e. can't go for DDR4 as a stop-gap solution).

I wonder if I should upgrade my PSU and RAM on my current system and sit out the launch.

Alder Lake looks so nice, I just wonder how the roll-out will look like, I am especially concerned by DDR5 RAM availability now that it is confirmed that it will need a different mobo (i.e. can't go for DDR4 as a stop-gap solution).

I wonder if I should upgrade my PSU and RAM on my current system and sit out the launch.

Alder Lake will have DDR4 and DDR5 memory controllers. There will be DDR4 boards for it, and I wouldn't rule out some niche products that have both DDR4 and DDR5 slots (not usable simultaneously). Still, one of the big draws of the platform is DDR5 support.

Anyway, if you're going to upgrade memory for your current system, DDR4 prices are starting to creep up now, so you might want to grab something before it gets more expensive.

Alder Lake will have DDR4 and DDR5 memory controllers. There will be DDR4 boards for it, and I wouldn't rule out some niche products that have both DDR4 and DDR5 slots (not usable simultaneously). Still, one of the big draws of the platform is DDR5 support.

Anyway, if you're going to upgrade memory for your current system, DDR4 prices are starting to creep up now, so you might want to grab something before it gets more expensive.

And here come the news on Samsung's 512Gb DDR5 memories. What an absolute powerhouse that company is.

I checked pricing and upgrading to 32Gb would cost me about $200, that along with a better PSU would set me back $400 - so back to the original upgrade path I guess.
At the moment I am only limited for Flight Sim memory-wise, but got a heads-up that a Win update reset the virtual memory that caused me crashing out and dropping frames. I set it to 36Gb on an SSD and boom, works again. :)

Top Bottom