Hardware & Technical Latest Nvidia Ampere Rumours

3080Ti release date and specs have been confirmed/finalized: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-final-specifications-confirmed

As expected it's much closer to the 3090 than to the 3080 in everything except raw VRAM capacity.

They will also be LHR (low hash rate) out of the gate, which will give them about half the mining performance of a 3090, at least until good workarounds are discovered.

The FE version seems identical to the 3080 FE, which likely means anemic GDDR6X cooling. So, unless one is desperate, waiting for an AIB model would be wise.

Of course, availability is still an open question, but I don't expect it to be good.

Decided to make some changes to the system my own 3080 is going wind up in, so I haven't done much gaming/benching on it...just fired up Odyssey a few times to confirm that issues I was experiencing weren't limited to my 6800 XT.

The 3080ti looks OK for what it is, I wonder what will be the market price in relation to non-limited 3080s, as lately it seemed that pricing is largely driven by MH/s instead of FPS.
I guess compared to a good 3080 the extra gaming performance is still negligible, especially considering that Gamers Nexus claimed theirs didn't have much, if any OC headroom.

This is the best example of voting with your wallet since 20x0 pricing. If people jump on them like crazy then... well it just means that you can start charging obscene prices for computer hardware in general, it seems everyone is stinkingly rich :D

This is the best example of voting with your wallet since 20x0 pricing. If people jump on them like crazy then... well it just means that you can start charging obscene prices for computer hardware in general, it seems everyone is stinkingly rich :D

The thing is that the rules and environment is vastly different to 2017.
I've paid $1.5k for a top-spec 3080 back in January, which is an outrageous price by old standards - but today with mining the upgrade was basically free even though I gave the 1080ti to a friend deeply below market price (which has earned its price back to him as well).

I don't get why people expect goods to be cheap when they deliver insane return on investment even at inflated prices.

You seem to think everyone has the same bank account as yours. 🙂

😷

I'm not rich, but $1.5k is not making anyone rich unless your are from one of the poorest countries (which you aren't). in U.S. far more money has been handed out per person as stimulus.
The point I'm making is that prices are this high because there are plenty of people who can actually pay for it.

I do feel sorry for kids though, getting into PC gaming must be difficult now unless they can consvince the parents that it also a passive income.

BTW we'll see how the GPU market reacts with lower return on mining and that 3080ti actually equals what, a 3060 or 3060ti in mining performance - the card may actally end up very close to 3080 pricing in market, and Nvidia deserves credit for that.

In U.S. far more money has been handed out per person as stimulus.

In this case I can understand.

But no need to be in a poor country. Watch the feedback from the Cmdrs on the forum regarding the hardware specifications for Odyssey.

Many cannot upgrade their PC. And the majority live in "rich" countries.

😷

In this case I can understand.

But no need to be in a poor country. Watch the feedback from the Cmdrs on the forum regarding the hardware specifications for Odyssey.

Many cannot upgrade their PC. And the majority live in "rich" countries.

😷

Sorry, but in a rich country $1.5k is objectively not a lot of money unless the household depends on low-skill low paid jobs - and considering the average joe on these forums there are plenty of bright people with an average of about 40. Just consider how much does it cost to take a family to a boggo standard Summer holiday - it starts at €1k per person...

1500 USD is a lot of money to a lot of people. This goes without saying.

Pricing is also dictated by supply and demand. As long as demand is high and supply constrained, prices will remain high.

Enough people are willing to pay these prices, if they have to, to get the experience they provide.

There aren't enough cards to go around, and there isn't any real competition in the current environment of scarcity. All the usual product differentiators have been supplanted by availability concerns.

Except for revealing glaring issues with a given implementation, all of these reviews are moot. I bought two cards, at an average price of about $1200 each, that I never would have even considered in a normal market, because they were what was offered to me, and I suspected they would work, or be sufficiently easy to make work. I did reject a $1900 RTX 3090 as too costly, but in hindsight, that was probably a mistake.

I do feel sorry for kids though, getting into PC gaming must be difficult now unless they can consvince the parents that it also a passive income.

Adjusted for inflation, it's considerably less expensive than it was when I started in the early 1990s.

BTW we'll see how the GPU market reacts with lower return on mining and that 3080ti actually equals what, a 3060 or 3060ti in mining performance - the card may actally end up very close to 3080 pricing in market, and Nvidia deserves credit for that.

I doubt this will be the case, until general supply improves. The mining demand, while significant, is overstated as a cause for the current scarcity, and there are enough people who aren't at all concerned with mining, competing for the supply of 3080 Tis that prices will remain inflated for a while. And miners aren't going to reject the 3080 Ti either.

Of course, NVIDIA's goal was never to keep these cards out of miner's hands, it was to make their higher profit margin CMP products appealing. Those parts cannot sell when there are better products that can hash at the same rate for the same price.

Been thumbing refresh for the last 40 mins on Scan and Nvidia (which takes you to Scan for FE anyway), I didnt see an add to basket option on any of the listings

No real chance of getting one anyway tbh, I aint that lucky:

1622727488185.png

1500 USD is a lot of money to a lot of people. This goes without saying.

Sure, everyone thinks twice on spending $1.5k on anything, it's not like going shopping for grocery and for some less fortunate folks it is truly a lot - but let's be real here, the price isn't this high (actually much higher at the moment) because nobody can play so much, it's quite the opposite - demand drives it. So by definition it isn't too much for most people who want it.
I know on forums it is all the rage and it is another good opportunity to bash corporations, but in real life context it just isn't that much money.

Take the broader economy how much people are spending on better housing, cars, holidays - or compare it to other hobbies. A better bicycle can easily cost twice as much, better Lego sets easily cost 100s of dollars...

And we cannot ignore the mining aspect of it, it actually makes it cheaper than ever.

I doubt this will be the case, until general supply improves. The mining demand, while significant, is overstated as a cause for the current scarcity, and there are enough people who aren't at all concerned with mining, competing for the supply of 3080 Tis that prices will remain inflated for a while. And miners aren't going to reject the 3080 Ti either.

Of course, NVIDIA's goal was never to keep these cards out of miner's hands, it was to make their higher profit margin CMP products appealing. Those parts cannot sell when there are better products that can hash at the same rate for the same price.

We'll see, but the same happened after the first crypto crash and the broader opening of the economy IMHO will drive a lot of consumer spending away from goods to services. The pent up demand for holidays, dine-outs, concerts and whatnot must be insane.

So by definition it isn't too much for most people who want it.

By definition it's too much for most people that want it, otherwise demand couldn't outpace supply and drive up prices.

Almost anyone who has a desktop PC they game on wants a high-end GPU, but very few ever get it. It's not too much for most people that do actually get it, but that's a tautology.

in real life context it just isn't that much money.

This is pretty subjective. Even for the segment of generally very well-off people this forum represents, most cannot justify the purchase of $1200+ video cards.

You can, I can, but plenty here cannot.

Take the broader economy how much people are spending on better housing, cars, holidays - or compare it to other hobbies. A better bicycle can easily cost twice as much, better Lego sets easily cost 100s of dollars...

I don't own a car and certainly can't afford LEGO or three-thousand dollar bicycles. A $400 Schwinn was high-end to me and I or my parents usually bought the cheaper knock-off blocks. Loose manufacturing tolerances and dangerously sharp edges better prepared me for building stuff in reality anyway.

Fortunately, my only expensive hobby/entertainment is keeping up to date on my PC hardware tinkering.

The pent up demand for holidays, dine-outs, concerts and whatnot must be insane.

Probably.

Have been mostly using my Gigabyte Aorus 3080 to mine for the last two months while I prepare the system it's going in and have noticed a steady increase in GDDR6X temps. Went from being able to hold more than +1000 on the memory at sub-100C to hitting the 110C throttle point with beyond a -200 underclock.

Since this couldn't be explained by any change in ambients, I pulled the card and could see that the thermal pads Gigabyte used were bleeding silicone oil and, upon dismantling the card, confirmed that the actual pads had begun to separate from the memory and were essentially floating on a layer of not-so-thermally-conductive oil. Going to have to replace all the TIM. Will also pull all the LED/RGB crap off at the same time, if only to make it easier to reassemble the thing.

I got lucky(?) on the Newegg shuffle and snagged an Asus TUF O24G. I'll be singing an octave higher if my wife finds out what it costs, but it was the first card I could buy after watching discord bots drop for a month. Too expensive for sure, but the currently dropping 3080Ti models aren't much cheaper and good luck being fast enough to get one.

Setup was a nightmare. Turns out my 1200W PSU wasn't all it should have been and had to get a Be quiet! 1200W to get things sorta sorted. The Be quiet is top shelf quality and very happy I did that upgrade.

Turns out my 980Ti had stressed the pci slot enough that I had to get the card support bracket just right to get the 3090 working.

Now the real challenge. I have 2 24" 1980X1200 monitors a 27" 2560X1440 and a 38" AW3821DW. I can plug them all into the 3090 and they run fine pumping 120FPS in either EDO or EDH. The problem happens when I light up the 2 800X600 USB monitors under the Thrustmaster Cougar MFD's

I can get it all working perfectly, but if I restart the pc windoze scrambles the positions and messes up the screen alignments. I have a ton of rainmeter running on my desktop and it all gets scrambled. So I have to go back and re-align the monitor positions and reset the Rainmeter skins where I want them. A bit of a pain.

I put the 3 60Hz monitors on a 1050Ti in a daisy chain for now and helps a bit and occasionally boots properly, but I'd really like to get things right just using the 3090. I'm one bios version behind on the motherboard, so it looks like I'll be trying to do a bios update and a re-installation of the latest chipset firmware. To complicate the issue even further, I suspect some of the problem lies in the ton of usb hardware connected and I likely will blow that all out of the pc and re-install all the usb devices one by one.

By far this has been the most daunting upgrade I've done so far.

Last edited:
This is pretty subjective. Even for the segment of generally very well-off people this forum represents, most cannot justify the purchase of $1200+ video cards.

You can, I can, but plenty here cannot.

I think the point here is the word you use 'justify'. Without mining I'd probably have decided against buying the card. But I equally cannot justify paying $3 for a small bottle of premium beer even though I like good beer and it is affordable.

Sure, everyone thinks twice on spending $1.5k on anything, it's not like going shopping for grocery and for some less fortunate folks it is truly a lot - but let's be real here, the price isn't this high (actually much higher at the moment) because nobody can play so much, it's quite the opposite - demand drives it. So by definition it isn't too much for most people who want it.
I know on forums it is all the rage and it is another good opportunity to bash corporations, but in real life context it just isn't that much money.

And we cannot ignore the mining aspect of it, it actually makes it cheaper than ever.

We'll see, but the same happened after the first crypto crash and the broader opening of the economy IMHO will drive a lot of consumer spending away from goods to services. The pent up demand for holidays, dine-outs, concerts and whatnot must be insane.
No offense, but you seem somewhat detached from how most people live. The average westerner is in no position to spends thousands on a bike, spend $1500 on a gpu or consider that 'vacation money'. Take a slightly more global perspective and it be ones even laughably impossible.

Boomer communities for a posterchild VR game might have skewed your perspective a tiny bit... :)

Have been mostly using my Gigabyte Aorus 3080 to mine for the last two months while I prepare the system it's going in and have noticed a steady increase in GDDR6X temps. Went from being able to hold more than +1000 on the memory at sub-100C to hitting the 110C throttle point with beyond a -200 underclock.

Since this couldn't be explained by any change in ambients, I pulled the card and could see that the thermal pads Gigabyte used were bleeding silicone oil and, upon dismantling the card, confirmed that the actual pads had begun to separate from the memory and were essentially floating on a layer of not-so-thermally-conductive oil. Going to have to replace all the TIM. Will also pull all the LED/RGB crap off at the same time, if only to make it easier to reassemble the thing.
I get wanting to do the work yourself for a timely fix, but this is a defect that should be replaced under warranty.

Top Bottom