Hardware & Technical Latest Nvidia Ampere Rumours

Meant to launch in first half of next year (which means it should be available to buy by the end of the year), perform better and cost less than the comparative 2000 Series ....

So will Ampere be the one that makes me upgrade my 980Ti or will the Red Teams Big Navi (https://wccftech.com/new-amd-gpu-spotted-rra-big-navi/) upset the apple cart like they have done with their CPUs ??

I think AMD will significantly close the gap. IF money is no object i still think NV will rule the roost at the absolute sharp end, (TITAN and the 3080Ti) but hopefully AMD will have something able to trade blows AND have a comparable feature set to the 3080 - and ideally not launch it 12 months later than Nvidia.

Cost wise................ I know the rumours are NV will drop prices, and I hope they do, however I expect it will only be £100 or so at the absolute top end (I am hoping for £150 off bringing a 3080ti around the £750 mark but honestly I am not holding my breath).

And I dont see AMD doing us any favours cost wise even if they are competetive performance and feature set wise.... they may undercut equivalent NV cards by £20 or £30 but I doubt they will do much more..... why would they? I have never bought into this AMD good guys, NV bad guys that some people try to sell.

So with the launch potentially getting closer .. some me info seems to be leaking out (although, as always, it is not clear how accurate it is) .. One things that caught my attention is the Power Draw!!

One things that caught my attention is the Power Draw!!

Any figure that fits within the 75w the PCI-E slot, plus the 300w two 8-pin PCI-E power connectors, can supply is entirely plausible. At the high-end performance easily trumps efficiency, so there is little reason not throw higher clocks and thus higher power at things, as long as you can cool it.

Also that article flipped the fan position on the second image...using an axial fan on a shrouded blower-style cooler can make sense, but only if it's on the side of the card opposite the I/O ports.

Edit: other images show that it has axial fans on both sides...it's not a blower, just strange.

Last edited:
So in around 10 days time we should know more about Ampere. There are rumours of the Flagship (Founders edtion) card costing $1400 so I wonder what that will equate to in GBP (at least £1400 maybe even £1500); Then there is the premium cards from the AIB vendors, with their uplift in price ..... Ampere is shaping up to be very expensive indeed.

The rumours around Ampere also point to RDNA 2 from AMD being something that NVIDIA are taking very seriously.

I fully expect NVIDIA to still have the halo product thats faster than all the rest, however i think AMD are likely to have products in the upper tier bracket that can give NVIDIA a run for their money this time, rather than for the last half a decade or so were AMD have been absent from anything above mainstream offerings.

Exciting times in the graphics arena, possibly for the first time since around 2009 when the 5870 launched from AMD.

Its interesting to note that back in the Fermi and Kepler days, NVIDIA used their premium architecture chip for 70 class and above GPU's
Once Maxwell came out however and AMD had given up competing, NVIDIA reserved their best chips for merely the 80TI and Titan cards.
With Ampere NVIDIA are using their GA102 architecture for everything from 80 level upwards.

Last edited:
The rumours around Ampere also point to RDNA 2 from AMD being something that NVIDIA are taking very seriously.

I fully expect NVIDIA to still have the halo product thats faster than all the rest, however i think AMD are likely to have products in the upper tier bracket that can give NVIDIA a run for their money this time, rather than for the last half a decade or so were AMD have been absent from anything above mainstream offerings.

Exciting times in the graphics arena, possibly for the first time since around 2009 when the 5870 launched from AMD.

Its interesting to note that back in the Fermi and Kepler days, NVIDIA used their premium architecture chip for 70 class and above GPU's
Once Maxwell came out however and AMD had given up competing, NVIDIA reserved their best chips for merely the 80TI and Titan cards.
With Ampere NVIDIA are using their GA102 architecture for everything from 80 level upwards.

I am counting on AMD actually putting up a fight this time, the GPU market is in dire need of competition.

Whilst I can afford a 3090 , I will have to wait to see what AMD bring to the table as I am hoping AMD will be better VFM, I am also quite interested in the Performance per Watt for these new cards. I was also hoping that the releases would be closer together so I did not have to wait until the end of the year. With RDNA2 and Zen3 there is a chance my next build may be my first ever full AMD build !

400w 3 slot 3x8pin monster which will physically not fit in a huge number of cases.... Combined with a possible £1250+ price tag
I was really planning on a big upgrade this winter and a 3080ti (now 3090?) Was a contender'(i still would not be surprised if it is 21 series btw like 2180 etc despite all the leaks due to the marketing push of 21 year anniversary

But now I really hope AMD knock it out of the park for a real high end gpu with ray tracing more than ever.

It seems so long ago when Nvidia leaked prices would be $50-100 LESS for the equivalent new cards on Ampere. I guess that was before they decided to give up on 7nm for the gaming cards.

Forgetting the cost
Forgetting the energy use

After having a number of brutally hot summers with my current PC I really want one which uses LESS power than my current set up not more. It's like sitting next to a 550w heater right now. Going 3090 it would likely be a 650w heater instead-

Last edited:
So in around 10 days time we should know more about Ampere. There are rumours of the Flagship (Founders edtion) card costing $1400 so I wonder what that will equate to in GBP (at least £1400 maybe even £1500); Then there is the premium cards from the AIB vendors, with their uplift in price ..... Ampere is shaping up to be very expensive indeed.

The price of a complete computer.

And it will also be necessary to change the case and the power supply.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

I think drivers are going to be the real question mark with RDNA2. I have a 5700xt reference card that I got somewhere around August and it took until December to get drivers that were "decent". March to get drivers that I would call 100%. I didn't have a lot of issues or I would have refunded it but I did have issues. Black screens and auto reboots were common for a while. It's a solid performing card but the experience has put me off AMD GPUs I think. It's my first AMD/ATI card since the AGP days. If the 3080 non-ti is close to the price of a 2080 Super then I think I'll switch back. Had a gtx1060 before.

Last edited:
If the 3080 comes at a sub-£1000 price then I’ll spring for one - my black budget has accrued almost that amount and it’s about time I did some “de-dusting” maintenance 😁

A little chatter about the potential pricing ...

Source: https://twitter.com/GarnetSunset/status/1296916731378704391

Not sure on the reputation of the source, so it could be a load of rubbish, but seems plausible based on Nvidia's previous price hikes.

Edit:

One interesting comment is this:

3090 = Titan
3080 = x80 Ti
3070 = x80
3060 = x70
3050 = x60

Again, this is all speculation at this point.
It’s time for Nvidia to have some serious competition.

To bring down these exorbitant prices.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

It’s time for Nvidia to have some serious competition.

To bring down these exorbitant prices.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
Lets hope AMD can pull that Rabbit out of the Hat!

Whilst I doubt they will be able to beat the Green teams flagship (although I wish they could), I really hope they are able to offer considerably better bang per buck / value for money.

Whilst I doubt they will be able to beat the Green teams flagship (although I wish they could), I really hope they are able to offer considerably better bang per buck / value for money.
They did this for the CPU.

So they have to do the same for the GPU. :)

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Looks like the rumours regarding a new 12 Pin Connector are true, well, at least on the founders boards:

I also read that the new cards may overheat much.

Which makes a little link with your post

New connector for more power ...

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

After seeing the size of the 3090 I don't think they're gonna beat its raw power.That heatsink is enough to warm a small apartment..
I do think they're going to be very competitive though, and more efficient.

Top Bottom