Community Event / Creation LAVE RADIO - A podcast about Elite Dangerous

Thanks, I think :)

@Phoenix_Dfire , is just genuinely "that nice" even in private!
What 'new people" are you thinking about? @psykit joined the team a couple of episode's ago hopefully freeing up @Souvarine to take 1/2 a step back, and I guess we have (sometimes recurring) guests on from time to time?

I know we try to walk a line between being Frontier White Knights and Argumentative Types looking to rip up everything that Frontier does. My main concern for Tuesday's show was that we didn't turn it into a Slag off every design decision FD has ever done, whilst constructively voicing our concern.

Anyway thanks for listening and let's see what content today's Alpha drop brings!

o7, Eid

Hey you guys do that perfectly.. that's probably what i enjoy most about the show, you guys are perfectly representative of both the good and bad about the game. The forums really quickly get one sided so its kinda refreshing to cut to the truth. I didn't think you guys misrepresented the alpha. I'm not sure but im guessing there's a feeling in the air what we're seeing is what we're going to get, so there's less point in theorycrafting improvements / tearing it to shreds. To be honest i think i prefer it this way though, in the past they've gushed a bit too much about player feedback without any intention to act on it.

Yeah definitely you guys are well balanced. Without colin white knighting (no offence!) as the contrast to everyone else, it would be just like any old forum thread then :) Balance makes a great listen.

Okay, so i was going to take a lave radio break. With colin painfully never being critical enough (/jokes) and all these new people suddenly here, what the hell is going on.

Thankyou for an unexpectedly top tier episode :)

Right there is something I do have to say at this point. I often get abuse for not being critical enough of FDev and some of their decisions. I'm the host, I have to take a more neutral position than the rest of the crew and try and keep the show balanced. Being a software developer myself (I hate using that phrase), I do give FDev the benefit of the doubt a lot because I know how much work is required to do the things they do and, despite what people may have heard, game dev is hard.

Full disclosure, I do have a ten thousand word essay of criticisms (and quick fixes) of the game but I don't put it on the forums because ;-
  1. It will come across as one of those preachy open letters and we all know how people 'Love' those.
  2. It's nothing that people haven't said elsewhere and will bring nothing new to the table. If fdev ain't fixed them by now, I don't believe they'll ever get round to them.
Just because I come across as more neutral than critical doesn't mean I'm not scratching my head at some of their decisions.

Right there is something I do have to say at this point. I often get abuse for not being critical enough of FDev and some of their decisions. I'm the host, I have to take a more neutral position than the rest of the crew and try and keep the show balanced. Being a software developer myself (I hate using that phrase), I do give FDev the benefit of the doubt a lot because I know how much work is required to do the things they do and, despite what people may have heard, game dev is hard.

Full disclosure, I do have a ten thousand word essay of criticisms (and quick fixes) of the game but I don't put it on the forums because ;-
  1. It will come across as one of those preachy open letters and we all know how people 'Love' those.
  2. It's nothing that people haven't said elsewhere and will bring nothing new to the table. If fdev ain't fixed them by now, I don't believe they'll ever get round to them.
Just because I come across as more neutral than critical doesn't mean I'm not scratching my head at some of their decisions.

Hey, sounds like you don't like being more neutral. I don't like assuming anything about someone unless they like it, but 2 episodes ago, when Souvarine went "well actually you do" i thought it became official at that point. Your hat has been given. Nothing you say during a show sounds strange or bad to my random internet person ears, if that counts :)

... compared to the white knights on the forums.. you seem like a very nice person. Have you seen what the people who probably think they're frontiers best friends write on here? Nothing wrong with your show!

EDIT: Oh no.. so did you in fact want to rebut souvarines official knighting but just didn't get around to it? I'll just take my leave and wait for the next episode ;)

Last edited:
OK I havent listened to it as avoiding Odyssey news until it comes out on XB.

But, I like the fact that you all have a slightly different take, if you all agreed it would get pretty boring pretty quick, or worse sycophantic one way or the other, for me anyway. Thats an echo chamber not a discussion. I think its called 'balance', not something the internet or a lot of internet DJ's / radio hosts are very good at, they often take one extreme view and push that only never allowing discourse or objectivity.

I think we all have a role to play (and a lot of it is actually almost a character of ourselves), Shan 'has' to be critical and abuse his NPCs (or indeed PCs) I usually try to ask leading questions / provide the and do a lot of pre and post show stuff. I love it when we mix things up and say make Shan the host, because then he 'has' to behave :D

btw @Vetinari I don't think we spoiled anything that isn't public knowledge, but I guess if you don't want to hear thoughts on mission types etc or features that have been announced, then it makes sense...

One thing I will re-iterate though is that I wish Ody went into a protracted gamma say and that, whilst PC players are able to run around on planets etc non of those actions counted to BGS / PP mechanics (let alone 1st footing) until our console brethren joined us :(

btw @Vetinari I don't think we spoiled anything that isn't public knowledge,

Great Wall of text incoming :)

I did hear the LR episode where you said about extended 'gamma' until Consoles get it, really appreciate the thought and the we are all one community kinship shown there.

Theres a couple reasons which may sound petty, or at least one of them certainly will :) none of them are personal or aimed at LR or saying anything against LR. Its much much wider than that and includes everyone and anything about Odyssey or anything that might mention it in any format. I dont censor other people so I censor myself just in case, I can skim the forums and not read the topic, just see which discussion forum its in then look at the topic if not Odyssey feedback forum.

Public knowledge today is different to what it was 2 weeks ago, and will be next week and in 3 months and so on. My knowledge is exactly the same and I want to keep it that way until I can play the game myself.

I dont want to hear or know anything that hadnt been put out prior to Alpha (so not watching new Frontier LS or anything else either, if they do twitch drops Ill mute it and not watch - dont even want to know about mission types, NPC behaviour, 'how to', whats 'impossible' or 'grind', what 'needs to be better' (easier as a rule), Xeno stuff, gameplay, anything at all that wasnt in those original Dev Diaries / promo vids pre Alpha release - I want to remain ignorant / innocent until I play it and then its all new to me and Ill find my own path. Thats purely for my own personal game enjoyment, Ill discover it for myself.

I like a 'hard' game, I want ED as it is to go back to original settings or at least have the option (100Cr and blaze your own trail where every choice matters etc) if I get the choice I choose 'Extreme' or 'Very Hard' or whatever in SP games. I play very few games so like to spend the time in ones I like having a hard time rather than having to find ones I dont really like just because they are close or near enough. I dont like Eve or NMS, they are great games, I just personally dont like them. Im very hard to please so when I find a game I do like I want it to last and be a real challenge and occupy my time :)

Which means that if I learn something about Odyssey and then find its been nerfed by XB release to make it easier Ill just hate knowing 'what it could have been'. Better for me not to know in the first place and just take it as it comes when it finally arrives (or Ill be salty and constantly comparing it to the game I could have had). A bit like expecting one thing and then being disappointed you get something else when you had your heart set on it. If all I can do is watch the Alpha / Beta / Release get easier and easier and have no say in the matter Id rather just avoid it completely and wait and see what I get and take it as it is. Sounds petty but its better for me and my forum posts :)

To quote @psykit from a previous LR show - 'I want to see how Frontier do it'. I don't want a horse designed by committee, I want a horse designed by DB & Frontier first and foremost with very careful consideration of what makes it better over what just makes it easier or pays more and and in the past imo Frontier have given in too much to make it easier or quicker or especially just pay more, removing the choices and consequences that matter and made the game great in the first place. The original concept of elite 1984 was 'We built a game we wanted to play and hoped others wanted to play it too' (DB) or 'making things go wrong for people' (DB) and I did want to play it because it was different to anything else, not because it was the same or like other games did it. The game had consequences and wasnt 'I win' even in SP. I dont want to see those consequences nerfed to oblivion before I even get to play it. Imagine Elite '84 where Riedquat is a democracy, no thanks :)

In ED '84 I got to Deadly twice and Dangerous numerous times then reset, I never got to Elite, because the game had become too easy and there was no challenge left so I got bored....Im strange, I know it and now so do you, but for me there has been 1 game in all of history that played that way and its lasted for decades without nerfing it just coz its a bit hard....until now. But I still dont want to play any other game, its still better than literally every other game ever imo.

So better to remain ignorant / without any knowledge, sometimes its better not to know than imagine something great that never materialises. Better not to know what could have been rather than what is when I finally get it on XB and if its hard or extreme or a massive learning curve where I fail time after time then awesome thats what I want.

None of that means I cant see the bugs or the faults. Thats a different matter entirely. But difficulty is not a bug. Something I don't like is not a bug. Frontier listening to that type of feedback from players bugs me.

In the meantime I'm up to Episode 18 (Aug 2013 iirc) in the Archives so have plenty of LaveRadio to listen to yet without any chance of any Spoilers at all. Its a win / win and I will catch up when I have Odyssey...or a few months after when Ive discovered it for myself. Shan / @Souvarine hasnt even appeared yet I dont think, looking forward to the ones where he hosts as you mention to see if he is on best behaviour :)

tbh I don't see anything petty in there, I 100% respect your position.

Also

Current Running times​

• 433 Total episodes found: duration 661 hours 46 minutes 33 seconds.
  • 341 Lave Radio episodes found: duration 585 hours 6 minutes 12 seconds.
  • 9 Conclave episodes found: duration 10 hours 46 minutes 34 seconds.
  • 11 Retro episodes found: duration 8 hours 7 minutes 22 seconds.
  • 18 Writers Interviews episodes found: duration 14 hours 19 minutes 56 seconds.
  • 54 Other episodes found: duration 43 hours 26 minutes 29 seconds.
Further you have https://laveradio.com/EscapeVelocity/ if you fancy some audio drama, and of course https://-dockers.co.uk/ if you remember your ear bleach!!! :)

Lave Radio Episode 336: Floaters is now available for download!!!
Cmdrs Alec Turner and Blackmaze join us to (try and) constructively talk about some issues that we're seeing in Odyssey Phase One Alpha

Cmdr Eid LeWeise

Screenshot_0004_1.png

Every time i drift away from the alpha you guys make an excellent show and keep it interesting.

• comprehensive resource analysis protocol? only 160 plants means intelligent design instead of evolution? it was the shan show again.
  • i approve of psykit.
  • really enjoyed the positive theorycrafting discussion.
  • .... also.. this has been bugging me insanely and i have to say something. I know you guys are being nice, but in the store alert song, there's a technical error in the first line. this is killing me. i know someone else made it for you.. but... argh!!!! :)

Thanks for the show.

Also, you guys should promote the episode in the alpha forums. Everyones gone crazy with the white knights and its a little off the rails. Maybe Colin should go curate all the discussions there for the rest of the alpha. So refreshing to get the objective perspective again.

ps. tried to listen to the show on itunes for a change, couldn't do it. really used to the timestamps on youtube now, thanks for these! use them every episode.

Last edited:
  • i approve of psykit.
  • really enjoyed the positive theorycrafting discussion.

Still not listening to current shows due to EDO spoilers but up to Dec 2013 in archives now, if you like the theorycrafting its well worth listening to the early shows to hear it there with the hindsight of how it actually turned out, very interesting. I probably agree with psykit even though havent heard this one, every time they speak I generally like their POV.

Still not listening to current shows due to EDO spoilers but up to Dec 2013 in archives now, if you like the theorycrafting its well worth listening to the early shows to hear it there with the hindsight of how it actually turned out, very interesting. I probably agree with psykit even though havent heard this one, every time they speak I generally like their POV.

Alright then. Next time im painting / renovating will dig up the archives. Yeah if you're not following along with the alpha, the current shows probably won't make much sense, but as you suggest might be good in the future to compare to the actuals. 2013? That's alot of shows to catch up on..!

these are great for background listening whilst playing the game, is there an ETA for the next instalments?
Hi @SCiARA as you can see, life gets busy!

There isn't an ETA as such for Escape Velocity series 4 as all kinds of stuff is up in the air at the moment. Since the beginning of the pandemic I've been focusing entirely on audiobooks I read myself as my tiny, unventilated studio is not at all pandemic safe!

The other complication is that Escape Velocity was (and generally always has) been made with friends and acquaintances, rather than open casting. In the huge amount of time, life moves on, people move away, relationships change, so once the "end" of the pandemic seems more definite I'll be sounding out my primary cast (May, Kurlek, Dallas, Matriarch, Patriarch, Sarque) to see who I've definitely got who's up for a return. Then it's a case of making sure the scripts fit that.

So the conclusion to the story is coming! There's just a few practical issues keeping it from happening at the moment.

Hi @SCiARA as you can see, life gets busy!

There isn't an ETA as such for Escape Velocity series 4 as all kinds of stuff is up in the air at the moment. Since the beginning of the pandemic I've been focusing entirely on audiobooks I read myself as my tiny, unventilated studio is not at all pandemic safe!

The other complication is that Escape Velocity was (and generally always has) been made with friends and acquaintances, rather than open casting. In the huge amount of time, life moves on, people move away, relationships change, so once the "end" of the pandemic seems more definite I'll be sounding out my primary cast (May, Kurlek, Dallas, Matriarch, Patriarch, Sarque) to see who I've definitely got who's up for a return. Then it's a case of making sure the scripts fit that.

So the conclusion to the story is coming! There's just a few practical issues keeping it from happening at the moment.
thanks for the update, looking forward to it

Lave Radio Episode 340: A Suction Sound in a low secs system is now available for download!!!
Colin doffs his White Helmet to talk candidly on the forums and we compare the current state of Elite Dangerous to items of food...

Cmdr Eid LeWeise

Lave Radio Episode 341: Escape to the future is now available for download!!!
Elite holds a special place in all of our hearts, it helps us escape this world and visit, if not a better one... then a world where we can fly SPACESHIPS!

Cmdr Eid LeWeise

Top Bottom