Lavecon Panel: Beyond Q4 Sneak Peeks + Q&A ~ Notes, Pix & Vids

Tried it three times but I cant hear what the answer is. "Its currently not on the schedule but its something [...]?" Can you hear it?

Question: "Will muti point lighting be coming into it, so that if you have two stars in the system..."

Answer (FD): "Interesting, that is something we have looked at but is currently not on the schedule. But it is something we've looked at."

Sounds to me like they tried but couldn't get acceptable performance with it. It's disappointing as I really wanted to see ED show up Space Engine, but I guess SE will continue to look better for the foreseeable future. At least from an outer space / high orbit point of view.

Last edited:
Question: "Will muti point lighting be coming into it, so that if you have two stars in the system..."

Answer (FD): "Interesting, that is something we have looked at but is currently not on the schedule. But it is something we've looked at."

Sounds to me like they tried but couldn't get acceptable performance with it.

I feel when they usually say this means "we prototype it, and while we made some progress, it is not ready for prime time".

Considering how tricky lighting is in ED overall (in space games in general too), yes, it is most likely performance hit that is not there yet. Also I highly suspect dynamic lightning and multiple source lightning work overlap heavily and one can't be done without one being embedded into game.

If they only got hold of the dynamic lighting system last week, it suggests work is still ongoing with the Cobra engine in the background to improve the game. Just not ready for multi light sources yet.

Art

• Look at adaptive lighting. (Aiming to look more 'cinematic'. Does look good). [VID]
  • colour grade can adapt scenes depending on sun light and local events etc.
This is cool, but is it just me that wishes they would also adjust the brightness of the background 'galaxy' skymap properly as well? Seems odd to be implementing a great new more-realistic/immersive lighting model, and then to have these massively bright colourful stars, nebulae and dust clouds of the galaxy sticking out in the background, instead of the inky blackness of space as you would see in e.g. a photograph of the day-side of Earth.
Space Engine does this well with its adaptive exposure mode, where if you're looking at the day-side of a planet (or if you're looking at a star up-close) then you won't be able to see the nebulas & galaxy in the background, but when you are just looking at 'empty' space then the background stars, galaxy etc. will fade in more.

[/LIST]
This is cool, but is it just me that wishes they would also adjust the brightness of the background 'galaxy' skymap properly as well? Seems odd to be implementing a great new more-realistic/immersive lighting model, and then to have these massively bright colourful stars, nebulae and dust clouds of the galaxy sticking out in the background, instead of the inky blackness of space as you would see in e.g. a photograph of the day-side of Earth.
Space Engine does this well with its adaptive exposure mode, where if you're looking at the day-side of a planet (or if you're looking at a star up-close) then you won't be able to see the nebulas & galaxy in the background, but when you are just looking at 'empty' space then the background stars, galaxy etc. will fade in more.

It does that now, doesn't it?

[/LIST]
That's how it works now though, isn't it? When you arrive in a system, the starfield and galactic core are virtually invisible. Move away from the star, they become brighter, then swing round the dark side of a planet away from the local light source, and the background becomes massively brighter.

One thing I'd like to see is at least a small amount of storage. So that one might collect a set of guardian relics and/or thargoid samples and probes and such and not have to re collect them every time you want to use them. The other option is to just carry them around all day and be pirate bait 24/7.

The mining/exploration stuff sounds great.

But I'm a bit sad about the absence of multi-sun lighting too, as I'd assumed their new lighting system would be about just that, rather than new post effects. Still, it looks quite nice.

Yes I agree the galactic backdrop was far too bright in the "after" pictures, but let's remember that it's very much a work-in-progress.

I was not expecting this amount of information and sneak peeks, I'm very pleasantly surprised.

I'm pretty sure we got much more info than usual out of Lavecon because JWE will be taking centre stage at E3 and there will probably be little to no ED news from there.

I'll repost my impressions from Eagleboys original thread:

• Mining changes sound very interesting and fun. Glad to hear we are getting larger "gold rush" asteroids, I was hoping for that! ;)
  • New lighting changes, we knew this was coming, but WOW what an improvement! :cool:
  • Multi point lighting however is NOT included in Q4, I thought this was coming. Sad about that. :(
  • Ice planets look amazing!!! :D
  • No comets for Q4, boooooo!!! :(
  • No Earth Moon landings for Q4. :(
  • Drones for exploration, sounds like they've done this pretty well. The DSS fires them, so no new module needed which is great. However, still unclear if the probes are limpets which thus require cargo space. I'm concerned about the medium & small exploration ships becoming unable to do the job due to lack of internals. That said though, the mechanic of the probes sounds very interesting. [big grin]
  • Seeding the galaxy with discoveries, woohoo! [yesnod]
  • Lightning bolts inside nebulas look great, hopefully they can strike the ship too!!! :cool:
  • Sandro said there is a high chance of certain ships getting exploration and mining specialized internal slots, like how there are passenger and military now!!!! :D
  • Surface bookmarks are planned, but probably won't make it for Q4. But they plan to do something on this front!!! :eek:
  • Codex splitting galaxy into regions, interesting. Still want to know what the Codex is... :S

Overall it sounds very promising. The video is well worth watching, its one of the more informative Q&A sessions I've ever seen Frontier do.

Thanks you saved me having to type that out I would have used the same smileys !

So so so so so excited about all this great stuff coming for mining & exploration !

And THANKS Frontier for the sneak peek about what you are working on...really appreciate it & you should do it a little bit more ;)

Top Bottom