Lead Designers advice on dealing with griefing (part 2)

It makes me laugh the way people set up a thread which is clearly intended as bait but then attempt to limit what other people may say in response. The modes naturally become part of the discussion when people start bleating on about 'griefing'.

As for the developers sanctimonious comments, it reads more like 'We are terrible gamers, for anyone like us here are some buttons to press to make those big nasty people go away'.. We used to be just good gamers, now in some Orwellian way we are refered to as gweefers.

Since we are on the topic of blocking people I'd like to propose that we are able to block all members of certain private groups. Its nothing personal, I'd just rather not play the game with a bunch of cry babies.

You can do whatever you like with your block function, I fully support your right to decide what you want to do with your game.

As to the thread rules you should take that up with the mods if you want.

People also get very vocal when they've lost the argument.

The block function was designed and intended to deal with griefers in 2014.

Who other than the individual player should decide who he/she plays with ?.

I think griefers are far more damaging for open than the ability to tailor open as you see fit. As are the arguments used in it's favour to be brutal.

Why don't you try explaining to me how you think I'll benefit by playing with the station rammers ?.

Even when people "lose the argument", they're always welcome to continue to talk in a respectful manner. By "losing the argument" I believe you mean "not agreeing with the cool guys".

Block was badly designed to deal with griefers in 2014 (FTFY).

PLAYERS shouldn't decide who they play with, from the moment they click the upper button named OPEN. They can decide that in PG.

"Griefers" as you define them is totally misinformation.

You'll benefit from playing with station hammers in many ways. Firstly, by respecting the speed limit. Second, by irritating FDev until they properly "fix" it (if it is really broken). And finally, by becoming a more mature person who deals with losses in an acceptable way.

Last edited:
Again. I'll repeat. Block is just a duct tape for a lackluster Crime & Punishment system.

So, let's prepare players to face what Open should always be. Dangerous.

It does need to be dangerous for everybody though.

It should be just as dangerous, and risky, for the members of that wing of three "gankers" as it is for somebody returning from the black in a tinfoil BDX with a hard-disk full of exploration data - which, of course, is why a C&P system is imperative.

Until that happens, I guess you can't blame people for blocking those who act in a manner they find unacceptable, given that there's nothing else to keep those people busy or force them to modify their behaviour.

PLAYERS shouldn't decide who they play with, ft the moment they click the upper button named OPEN. They can decide that in PG.

Isn't that exactly what "griefers" can do, though?

They get to decide which system they're going to cause trouble in, and then go elsewhere and be treated like lawful players.
They get to decide to ignore that tooled-up Corvette and go after tinfoil T6s instead.
They get to decide to ignore NPCs and only go after human players.

Again, it's not surprising that people might choose to take advantage of a tool which allows them to "even the odds" a bit.

It does need to be dangerous for everybody though.

It should be just as dangerous, and risky, for the members of that wing of three "gankers" as it is for somebody returning from the black in a tinfoil BDX with a hard-disk full of exploration data - which, of course, is why a C&P system is imperative.

Until that happens, I guess you can't blame people for blocking those who act in a manner they find unacceptable, given that there's nothing else to keep those people busy or force them to modify their behaviour.

Agreed in parts. Game really needs a strong C&P which also provides more content to the bad guys and the good guys. The players, though, have all the in-game tools to escape the rebuy screen in Open. In my case, there was the "3 new contacts" ping in the upper left HUD, which I didn't pay attention. There was the radar too.

But yes, there has to be danger for evildoing too.

At the very least it would stop you speeding. ;)

The control tower makes an acceptable brake.

I agree about modes being relevant to this, but unfortunately it's an incredibly important subject for those players who worry about it and trivial to those who don't. I think this is a result of the game being marketed and made for both player types, the advantage is a better made well funded game we all benefit from, the problem being the two camps will never agree on anything. Which is why it gets quarantined in Hotel California.

Isn't that exactly what "griefers" can do, though?

They get to decide which system they're going to cause trouble in, and then go elsewhere and be treated like lawful players.
They get to decide to ignore that tooled-up Corvette and go after tinfoil T6s instead.
They get to decide to ignore NPCs and only go after human players.

Again, it's not surprising that people might choose to take advantage of a tool which allows them to "even the odds" a bit.

Completely understand what you say, there has to be a Galaxy-wide Criminal tag for nonconsensual PvP killers, immune to logging and Suicidewindering.

The block function is harmles. Friends are higer priority than block, so you will still get instanced with every one that wants to play with you. Perhaps even more often, as your 'unfriends' are filtered out.

If ED was an open only with every player in the same system on the same server, it would have have been an issue.
ED isn't anything like that. Never was, never will be.

My list is empty and will probably stay that way but if someone finds my engine colour annoying and decides to block me, I'm fine with that.

The control tower makes an acceptable brake.

I agree about modes being relevant to this, but unfortunately it's an incredibly important subject for those players who worry about it and trivial to those who don't. I think this is a result of the game being marketed and made for both player types, the advantage is a better made well funded game we all benefit from, the problem being the two camps will never agree on anything. Which is why it gets quarantined in Hotel California.

So everyone who disagrees with your conclusions get's consigned to the Hotel California thread?

The irony of the Block is that it doesn't remove griefers from the game at all, only from your game. If a player gets blown up by a baddie one single time, it's not Griefing. Try reporting that to FDev and you'll see. But then the person blocks the baddie, so he wouldn't kill him a second and a third time (which would configure Griefing -> report -> there comes the ban).

Last edited:
The irony of the Block is that it doesn't remove griefers from the game at all, only from your game. If a player gets blown up by a baddie one single time, it's not Griefing. Try reporting that to FDev and you'll see. But then the person blocks the baddie, so he wouldn't kill him a second and a third time (which would configure Griefing -> report -> there comes the ban).

One ironic side effect of the block feature is when seal clubbers in Eravate block AA members:)

Even when people "lose the argument", they're always welcome to continue to talk in a respectful manner. By "losing the argument" I believe you mean "not agreeing with the cool guys".

Wow, I'm cool again. Feels odd.

Block was badly designed to deal with griefers in 2014 (FTFY).

Agreed at first you could only block people in your friends list which was sort of self defeating. But I think there was wailing and gnashing of teeth about it.

PLAYERS shouldn't decide who they play with, from the moment they click the upper button named OPEN. They can decide that in PG.

You can't dictate that people have to push certain menu options or play a game with you or with anyone else, it's just a game it's trivial entertainment, it's optional, some people just don't get along give them the option not to interact and everyones happier.

"Griefers" as you define them is totally misinformation.

By misinformation you mean an opinion that differs from yours. How would you define this incredibly subjective issue ?.

You'll benefit from playing with station hammers in many ways. Firstly, by respecting the speed limit. Second, by irritating FDev until they properly "fix" it (if it is really broken). And finally, by becoming a more mature person who deals with losses in an acceptable way.

It's not a real speed limit it's just a thing in a game, and it's also not the speed exploit that bothers me as my fast ships (that I always speed in) can outmaneuver most things.

I've no interest in irritating FDEV.

What losses are you talking about ?, the station rammers are terrible (piloting terrible not scary terrible) they've never got me. I've already explained this a lot.

The block function is harmles. Friends are higer priority than block, so you will still get instanced with every one that wants to play with you. Perhaps even more often, as your 'unfriends' are filtered out.

See, I'm going to have to flip sides now.

As JB has pointed out, it is possible to abuse the block function for dubious purposes.

If you're in Open, for example, at a CG and somebody on "the other side" is causing problems for your "team" then a group of people can deliberately block that person with the intent of getting rid of them out of your instance simply to make the CG easier for your "team".

More directly, for PvPers, if somebody in another group has proven themselves to be a skilled combat pilot then a bunch of people can block that person in the knowledge that it'll reduce the likelihood of them running into that person again.

It's undeniable that it can be abused by people willing to do so.
For the average player, who's just doing their own thing, it probably isn't going to be an issue but it could be for those who make a point of playing in groups.

Well, one positive side effect of this mechanic is that it apparently works so well that Fdev no longer has to continue stressing about on how to deliver a c&p system and wasting time and money on it. Just block everybody in Open whom you aren't 100% positive of and you're all set!

@Stealthy, I'm glad that you recognize the abuse potential, but it's hardly theoretical; Stigbob has now devoted two entire threads to promoting it's abuse (with mod blessing to boot).

Last edited:
See, I'm going to have to flip sides now.

As JB has pointed out, it is possible to abuse the block function for dubious purposes.

If you're in Open, for example, at a CG and somebody on "the other side" is causing problems for your "team" then a group of people can deliberately block that person with the intent of getting rid of them out of your instance simply to make the CG easier for your "team".

More directly, for PvPers, if somebody in another group has proven themselves to be a skilled combat pilot then a bunch of people can block that person in the knowledge that it'll reduce the likelihood of them running into that person again.

It's undeniable that it can be abused by people willing to do so.
For the average player, who's just doing their own thing, it probably isn't going to be an issue but it could be for those who make a point of playing in groups.

I know. I'm just saying that the 'team' will usually be friends and therefor at least stick together. If the 'foes' blocks one guy they're more likely to lose the entire 'team', than splitting it.

Well, one positive side effect of this mechanic is that it apparently works so well that Fdev no longer has to continue stressing about on how to deliver a c&p system and wasting time and money on it. Just block everybody in Open whom you aren't 100% positive of and you're all set!

@Stealthy, I'm glad that you recognize the abuse potential, but it's hardly theoretical; Stigbob has now devoted two entire threads to promoting it's abuse (with mod blessing to boot).

It's still not a conspiracy Jason. I don't advocate or condone abusing the block function, or even working secretly to destroy open (but then I would say that wouldn't I).

The block function could definitely be abused, that's why I've argued against a searchable block at the main menu (even though it would be convenient for a legit player like me). I could easily see player orgs trying to isolate one enemy wing member from his wing-mates through use of the block function to gank him without backup, it's exactly the sort of stunt the ramming griefers or the engineer cheats would be all over like a rash.

The question is do you err on the side of giving the legit players the tool, or do you take it away from everyone because of the untrustworthy few.

I'd say give it to everyone the exploiters will be exploiting anyway.

Top Bottom