Lead Designers advice on dealing with griefing

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Sorry but I think the block feature actually does a lot to fix Open. It's the people who want to force others to be their victims who destroy Open. You know, these cowards that only attack someone if they are in a superior ship. Open PvP carebears.

Fdev need to offer pvpers more gameplay options though (pvp cg, in-game pvp tourney?)... many of them are ganking because they don't have anything better to do and they probably need a hug. We can't give them a hug, but we can give them more to do!

According to David Braben the game is designed in a way that griefing should *not* be part of it.

Braben has also said he wants a game that doesn't feel like a game, but an actual other world.

I can't think of anything more gamist and context defying than having a block feature in one's comm menus being primarily used to put a dimensional barrier between one's self and another.

your solution to gatecrashers turning up and trashing everything at your party for friends is to not invite ANYBODY to your party and lock all the doors and windows, instead of hiring security (the block) to keep the undesirables who only ruin things and have no intent on anyone but them having fun from gatecrashing?

That doesn't sound like a remotely apt analogy at all.

Any security I hire wouldn't have laws of reality defying powers to banish malcontents to a parallel dimension. They would have to deter or counter them from within the same universe, following precisely the same natural laws.

From what I last heard I thought the block feature doesn't actually do anything?

Quite a while back it was only blocking chat, but sometime after 2.1 the matchmaking weight it was always supposed to have started to clearly affect things.

It's telling that I didn't see any other "trade ships", just FDLs and corvettes.

I trade in both of these ships.

My Asp and Clipper are in mothballs, and I sold my Python, Anacondas, and Cutter quite a while back.

70 tons of cargo room is sufficient for mission running to outposts and the Corvette is actually a highly capable trade vessel if you don't mind jumping (I'm largely inured to jumping tedium since taking a 5700 jump round trip to Sag A* and back in a combat-explorer FDL with a 14.26ly jump range in 1.2-1.3).

a PvP killing machine that would be terrible at all the things I enjoy doing, like exploration, passenger missions, etc.

Solid thrusters, lighter components, and stronger shields/hull/modules can help almost anything you do.

The Courier I use for exploration is one of the safest ships I have. No one has even bothered trying to interdict it, cause they are under the assumption that they either can't catch it, or if they can, won't be able to shoot it down before it leaves...this is likely completely accurate.

Fdev need to offer pvpers more gameplay options though (pvp cg, in-game pvp tourney?)... many of them are ganking because they don't have anything better to do and they probably need a hug. We can't give them a hug, but we can give them more to do!

Yes, it's quite sad that CQC failed. It should be part of the main game. I'd also like to see some other forms of regulated PvP. You could sign up for a conflict zone for example, using fighters launched from capital ships.

Braben has also said he wants a game that doesn't feel like a game, but an actual other world.

I can't think of anything more gamist and context defying than having a block feature in one's comm menus being primarily used to put a dimensional barrier between one's self and another.

And I can't think of anything more gamist and context defying than getting blown up for absolutely no reason. Or people using exploits to circumvent game mechanics when in reality a few cops would arrive and throw them out of the system. The block feature helps creating a believable world by removing these idiots from my game.

Then why did you used to have all those players blocked, you said it was 60-80 players in total if I remember correctly ?.

Solid thrusters, lighter components, and stronger shields/hull/modules can help almost anything you do. The Courier I use for exploration is one of the safest ships I have. No one has even bothered trying to interdict it, cause they are under the assumption that they either can't catch it, or if they can, won't be able to shoot it down before it leaves...this is likely completely accurate.

I'm a new player who just started experimenting with engineered MCs (first unlocked Engineer). My DBX is my most expensive ship. And "new" is a relative term, as there are plenty of Harmless Sidewinders around Eravate right now. Perhaps someday we'll all be in a position to engineer the ship you suggest, but until then?

BTW, I'm not knocking your suggestion - I learned something new and I appreciate that!

And I can't think of anything more gamist and context defying than getting blown up for absolutely no reason. Or people using exploits to circumvent game mechanics when in reality a few cops would arrive and throw them out of the system. The block feature helps creating a believable world by removing these idiots from my game.

A dozen mass graves full of people are killed for no more perceptible reason every day in the real world.

I completely agree that security responses are frequently lacking, often to the point of absurdity, but I'll never buy the idea that this is more of a threat to verisimilitude than out-of-character features with potentially radical implications for instancing manipulation.

Trading in an FDL is downright silly... why not make a combat type-6?

I like the way the FDL flies, I already have the FDL, and the FDL is the safest medium pad ship I've got. It always gets through...CMDRs can't shoot it down if I don't stay to fight and no security can scan it.

Last edited:
I'm a new player who just started experimenting with engineered MCs (first unlocked Engineer). My DBX is my most expensive ship. And "new" is a relative term, as there are plenty of Harmless Sidewinders around Eravate right now. Perhaps someday we'll all be in a position to engineer the ship you suggest, but until then?

BTW, I'm not knocking your suggestion - I learned something new and I appreciate that!

My favourite ship is a highly engineered Courier with a happy medium of practicality, speed and jump range. There isn't another ship like.

You don't need to get far into the engineers to make a big difference though. For example, lightweight engineer your MCs (same damage) and get access to Farseer (next easiest engineer to unlock) for grade 5 FSD range and grade 3 dirty drives and your jumprange will go up hugely, the ship will feel nicer to fly and you'll still be able to fight when you need to.

If you can deal with the irritation of stacked rng the engineers are a game changer to what you can do with ships.

I completely agree that security responses are frequently lacking, often to the point of absurdity, but I'll never buy the idea that this is more of a threat to verisimilitude than out-of-character features with potentially radical implications for instancing manipulation.

Agree wholeheartedly with this... I'd be happy with jacked up security response for CGs if that's the only thing fdev did! Makes no sense (I know it's just a game) that regional powers would allow the Wild West into their system with no additional security for the participants! Would also be fun to have some CGs be the Wild West straight up anything goes... how they are now.

This might be working as intended, but that just goes to prove what a short sighted developer Sandro is in this regard. This "feature" is a broken piece of junk that screws up far more than it fixes. The only people who like it are partisans who will say anything do anything to ruin Open and run PvPers out of town.

Hardly a glowing recommendation for Joe Everyman to get behind.

I disagree - because I honestly doubt you're going to see a HUGE impact on your game. The people who are going to remove themselves from this by blocking are those who otherwise would have been forced to Solo or Private anyway. And you don't want them in your game any more than they want you in theirs.

But honestly, what percentage of the player base do you think is ever going to block you, or Voldemort or anyone else out there? I'd bet you money it's 1% or less.

But honestly, what percentage of the player base do you think is ever going to block you, or Voldemort or anyone else out there? I'd bet you money it's 1% or less.

That's the thing. They don't have to block him to exclude him or those with him from their instance; they only have to block someone who is more preferentially paired with him than they are. A single block of one person by another out of a fairly large number of CMDRs in the same area of space at the same time could easily result in two sparsely populated instances rather than one well populated one.

jasonbarron may not be the one blocked and may not be doing anything to the one doing the blocking, but if the game decides he's got a better connection to the person blocked, and there aren't other factors countering that, he's going to go into the blocked CMDR's instance, not the instance containing the one doing the blocking. This could radically change his experience as a side-effect.

That's the thing. They don't have to block him to exclude him or those with him from their instance; they only have to block someone who is more preferentially paired with him than they are. A single block of one person by another out of a fairly large number of CMDRs in the same area of space at the same time could easily result in two sparsely populated instances rather than one well populated one.

jasonbarron may not be the one blocked and may not be doing anything to the one doing the blocking, but if the game decides he's got a better connection to the person blocked, and there aren't other factors countering that, he's going to go into the blocked CMDR's instance, not the instance containing the one doing the blocking. This could radically change his experience as a side-effect.

Are you sure that's how it works, or speculating? Honestly, I don't know how the ramifications of blocking work - it sounds like people are hypothesizing.

Are you sure that's how it works, or speculating? Honestly, I don't know how the ramifications of blocking work - it sounds like people are hypothesizing.

Morbad just summed up why I consider this a broken mechanic. And when you factor in campaigns such as this one by the OP to encourage people to abuse it, you start ending up with a debacle

Yet, when your friends list interferes with my instancing, that's ok... If I get instanced with you, it's more likely that I will be faced by your friends, than any new Commanders I might like to meet.

This issue is more about a player's ability to choose who they do and don't play along side. There is absolutely no justification needed for a player to choose what ever mode they wish. Including open. There is absolutely no justification needed for a player to block, or friend another player.

The right if a player to block another player is a primary function. They directly press the button. What players get into your instance is a secondary, or even tertiary, function. You have no direct control, you are at the mercy of dozens decisions the matchmaker has to make, before you see who you see. With all of those decisions the matchmaker has to make, there is no guarantee that you will instance with a friend, it's a crap shoot, to us functionally. There is no way, that I see, how the secondary, being generous here, right to possibly have unknown people in your instance, has more weight, or merit, than a person's individual, primary right to use a Block filter.

Just had a thought, probably rubbish but I feel like sharing.
As well as Open , Closed Group and Solo, FD makes No Rules. This as the name suggests would have no rules.
Open rules would be strictly enforced. Anyone breaking them would be banished to No Rules, either temporally or permanently.

Then the griefers could grief each other and we could have peace.

Last edited:
Morbad just summed up why I consider this a broken mechanic. And when you factor in campaigns such as this one by the OP to encourage people to abuse it, you start ending up with a debacle

So by using a block feature in game to block people I don't like interacting with which gives me more enjoyment from my game I am "abusing" the feature?

Sorry but that does not compute.

Abuse would be blocking everyone you come across in a combat ship rather than specific people for their actions.

The only people who like it are partisans who will say anything do anything to ruin Open and run PvPers out of town.
This has become your go-to conclusion regardless of context or topic hasn't it? :)

I can picture you in a restaurant getting the wrong order, yelling at the waitress: oh you lot will do anything to ruin Open and get rid of PvPers!!!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom