Lead Designers advice on dealing with griefing

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
why spend time and effort on a thread that is just a place to moan. griefing in my opinion is part of the game. I may not like it, do I care enough to moan. NO!
in the 2 yrs or so I have been a cmdr I have come across 5. so few a far between. sometimes I even like the fact that they are interested in trying to take me. attention seeking :) cant have fun on their own.
those who ram and die to get you destroyed. this is the one and only, legit reason not to travel with out a rebuy.
coins are so easy to earn;)
ok said my bit.
move along!

Why haven't Frontier deleted the Smiling Dog Crew's accounts yet? It would make Elite a better game :).
Also, is there a "report" button on XBox?

This is the part that people have trouble with.

It would make it a better game for you.

Just like if combat logging was severely punished, it would make the game "better" for people who want to kill other players. Also players who want to gank other players. But not for the victim.

FD comes out on top the most if they rig the system so the game is better for everyone. Too bad that some players quantify the quality of their experience by how much they can decrease the quality of other people's experience, eh?

Last edited:
Serious question: What if some griefer is dropping mines against noob pilots. You have the griefer blocked, but you see the noob pilots. Do you also see the mines?

Serious question: What if some griefer is dropping mines against noob pilots. You have the griefer blocked, but you see the noob pilots. Do you also see the mines?

If someone you have blocked is in the same instance as you then the only difference is that they can't communicate with you directly.

Solo is great. No griefers, and no psychos. You're free to play however you like, wherever you like, whenever you like, and no one can mess it up for you. Who needs people anyway, they're massively overrated. ;)

It's not a challenge either. NPCs are so weak, killing them is a cake-walk and you can even pick and choose which ones you let interdict you.
Back in the old Elite days it was major risk to fly in and try to trade in an anarchy or feudal system, now it's a breeze.
The problem with the griefing is that it can now happen anywhere and happens for no reason. Immersion has gone down the drain.

why spend time and effort on a thread that is just a place to moan. griefing in my opinion is part of the game. I may not like it, do I care enough to moan. NO!
in the 2 yrs or so I have been a cmdr I have come across 5. so few a far between. sometimes I even like the fact that they are interested in trying to take me. attention seeking :) cant have fun on their own.
those who ram and die to get you destroyed. this is the one and only, legit reason not to travel with out a rebuy.
ok said my bit.
move along!

No time and effort involved really, the OP is just a couple of cut and paste's from another thread. I thought it was worth doing as there's a lot of misconceptions, theory crafting, crazy tinfoil threats, lack of knowledge and some downright lies being spread about the block function.

The block list sciencing took about 5 minutes of actual effort to do, then a few hours left running and a few quick checks of the contacts panel to confirm it was effective.

I even made a stack of space cash at the CG so it was all round win.

ok said my bit.
move along!

According to David Braben the game is designed in a way that griefing should *not* be part of it. If you take a look at the different features they implemented (and will implement) it gets quite clear that they are against any form of griefing. Speeding limits, anti pad blocking mechanisms, station defense, no fire zone, now the blocking function and next the karma system.
Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, just wanted to point out that it's neither universal nor the opinion of the developers of this game. A general statement (not directed to you): No amount of lobbying will change this.

In my opinion :)

Solo is great. No griefers, and no psychos. You're free to play however you like, wherever you like, whenever you like, and no one can mess it up for you. Who needs people anyway, they're massively overrated. ;)

Humans! Such a piffling little species. Stick around, they'll all be gone in a few more of their centuries.

According to David Braben the game is designed in a way that griefing should *not* be part of it. If you take a look at the different features they implemented (and will implement) it gets quite clear that they are against any form of griefing. Speeding limits, anti pad blocking mechanisms, station defense, no fire zone, now the blocking function and next the karma system.
Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, just wanted to point out that it's neither universal nor the opinion of the developers of this game. A general statement (not directed to you): No amount of lobbying will change this.

In my opinion :)

In the words of David Braben "What would I want from a game ?, I want to be able to play a great game without being griefed by teenagers. But having said that I do want a feeling of risk out there"

About 7 minutes in.
[video=youtube;N9ENkIB0cic]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ENkIB0cic[/video]

OP updated

Blocking is just bad.

Muting voice/chat I can understand but excluding swarm peers conditionally makes for even more fragile instancing.

If you don't feel like the full monty just hop into Solo. I do it all the time, its sweet.
your solution to gatecrashers turning up and trashing everything at your party for friends is to not invite ANYBODY to your party and lock all the doors and windows, instead of hiring security (the block) to keep the undesirables who only ruin things and have no intent on anyone but them having fun from gatecrashing?

So I just want to voice a few feelings, before I do so a bit of background:

1) I play maybe 95%+ of my time in Open. I mainly Explore/Fuel-Rat but do many CGs and suchlike
2) I do PvP but rarely and always against combat capable ships, usually when they attack me. I have done Wing vs Wing PvP once in my game life and spend 95%+ of my time not winged up.
3) I am a member of Mobius and many other PGs (7?), I do use Mobius on occasion

My feelings:

I dislike Solo, the game feels dead after so long in Open and Mobius

I dislike Mobius because it's too safe, I know there are rules and there is 0% chance of being attacked. The community is great and friendly and I wouldn't trade it for the world but often when I login I'm up for a bit of rough and tumble

I dislike Open because it's too much. Go to a CG and there's 20 people all bidding to interdict you in wings of 4. I don't mind a bit of challenge but when I have to evade or out-run 10+ interdictions turning a 1 minute journey into 30 minutes. It is too much. Thats before we even talk about the scumbags griefing with mines and ramming and such.
People using things like that in stations and suchlike get instant blocked. I will also probably block a few that are deliberately using 4vs1 combat to kill people and don't respond to chat or demand cargo or anything.

The end result is I get a game I am happier playing, I am still in Open and a target for pirates and some gankers, just not all of them. I want the challenge but not the pit of sludge that is Open CGs currently. If the block feature was not there I would be fighting my way through maybe 4 interdictions then finding a quiet 30 seconds out of combat to exit and login to Mobius for the rest of the CG and would not be available for anyone to attack even the legit pirates... both of them. :)

Hopefully this explains to everyone here that has said "just go to solo/Mobius" as to why I do not want to do that, why I love the block feature and why it's a good thing. So far my block list is 0 as I've been too busy to do CGs since the last update.

Last edited:
Why haven't Frontier deleted the Smiling Dog Crew's accounts yet? It would make Elite a better game :).
Also, is there a "report" button on XBox?
You kidding? SDC are quite cosy with Frontier. Most of their members are some of the highest spenders on cosmetics and alt accounts. Not to mention all of the media coverage that SDC bring to Elite Dangerous via their antics such as the death of Salome, the various exploits they continually expose and the general salt mining events they do. Harry Potter has become one of the top 3 most interviewed people whenever a gaming news outlet does a piece on ED.

I honestly would not be surprised if FD gifts SDC free paintjobs every now and then as thanks for all the attention they keep generating. I got no abundance of love for their trolling but even I have to admit, ED would be much more boring without its trademark 'bad guys'.

From what I last heard I thought the block feature doesn't actually do anything?

Recent testing indicates it now works exactly as described in Sandro's 2014 post, it's also much easier to use. Anyone you've been instanced with recently is recorded in your contacts panel and can very easily be blocked from there.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom