Lead Designers advice on dealing with griefing

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
You kidding? SDC are quite cosy with Frontier. Most of their members are some of the highest spenders on cosmetics and alt accounts. Not to mention all of the media coverage that SDC bring to Elite Dangerous via their antics such as the death of Salome, the various exploits they continually expose and the general salt mining events they do. Harry Potter has become one of the top 3 most interviewed people whenever a gaming news outlet does a piece on ED.

I honestly would not be surprised if FD gifts SDC free paintjobs every now and then as thanks for all the attention they keep generating. I got no abundance of love for their trolling but even I have to admit, ED would be much more boring without its trademark 'bad guys'.

In that case, it's surprising they haven't been invited to one of the jollies to FD to see the future of ED, under a non disclosure agreement of course ..... oh ..... and we know what the outcome of that would be :D and I'm all for it !

Right, if solo gets removed, all I have to do delete all my ED friends, then block everyone else I come across. Excellent! :D

I dislike Open because it's too much. Go to a CG and there's 20 people all bidding to interdict you in wings of 4. I don't mind a bit of challenge but when I have to evade or out-run 10+ interdictions turning a 1 minute journey into 30 minutes. It is too much. Thats before we even talk about the scumbags griefing with mines and ramming and such.
People using things like that in stations and suchlike get instant blocked. I will also probably block a few that are deliberately using 4vs1 combat to kill people and don't respond to chat or demand cargo or anything.

Hopefully this explains to everyone here that has said "just go to solo/Mobius" as to why I do not want to do that, why I love the block feature and why it's a good thing. So far my block list is 0 as I've been too busy to do CGs since the last update.

Good summary of how I think quite a few players feel... I know I do, I feel at this point improved "c&p" is the only way to go as a compromise to all players (the only way fdev will do it). I love the danger of open, but after repeatedly getting interdicted at the current CG... by wings...that don't respond to comms (might not be technically griefing but it tells me the only motivation is lulz) in my anaconda (which they had no hope of destroying) I gave up because it's just too tedious. It's telling that I didn't see any other "trade ships", just FDLs and corvettes.

Having said that, I won't use the block feature... I hate to restrict the freedom of choice element.

Good summary of how I think quite a few players feel... I know I do, I feel at this point improved "c&p" is the only way to go as a compromise to all players (the only way fdev will do it). I love the danger of open, but after repeatedly getting interdicted at the current CG... by wings...that don't respond to comms (might not be technically griefing but it tells me the only motivation is lulz) in my anaconda (which they had no hope of destroying) I gave up because it's just too tedious. It's telling that I didn't see any other "trade ships", just FDLs and corvettes.

Having said that, I won't use the block feature... I hate to restrict the freedom of choice element.

If someone chooses to be tedious and you subsequently choose to block them that's freedom of choice in action, it's not restrictive at all they are still free to be tedious and you are free to opt out.

In that case, it's surprising they haven't been invited to one of the jollies to FD to see the future of ED, under a non disclosure agreement of course ..... oh ..... and we know what the outcome of that would be :D and I'm all for it !
Well... SDC have been approved to construct their new offices from across the street to FD's HQ...

FefnOvA.jpg

:D :eek: :p

The block is an equal opportunities function for all ages.

I understood, from other posts, more likely 40s and 50s !
I just wanted to point out that quote doesn't really paint David Braben in a very good light vis-a-vis knowledge of online gaming. It's a very simplistic generalisation to make that either a) all teenagers are more predisposed to be greifers and/or b) that all greifers are going to always be of the teenage variety. It's like David didn't have any actual practical experience of playing in an online environment at that time, especially that of a niche genre that attracts demographically older audiences. Not his best moment in my opinion.

I just wanted to point out that quote doesn't really paint David Braben in a very good light vis-a-vis knowledge of online gaming. It's a very simplistic generalisation to make that either a) all teenagers are more predisposed to be greifers and/or b) that all greifers are going to always be of the teenage variety. It's like David didn't have any actual practical experience of playing in an online environment at that time, especially that of a niche genre that attracts demographically older audiences. Not his best moment in my opinion.

Faux teenage labeling outrage aside, they are now in the process of developing and adding a karma system and they've massively improved the effectiveness and the ease of use of the block function. So they would seem to have learned from their experience with online games.

In the words of David Braben "What would I want from a game ?, I want to be able to play a great game without being griefed by teenagers. But having said that I do want a feeling of risk out there"

No problem Dave. The majority of ED's most notorious greifers are twenty somethings! :)

I understood, from other posts, more likely 40s and 50s !

DB probably meant mental maturity ;)

Last edited:
DB probably meant mental maturity ;)

He probably meant something a lot ruder, but he's got more class and tact than to say it direct. We all know how people behave in online games, particularly in online games with open PvP, it's not a state secret or some otherwise obscure knowledge, people are a-holes if they are given the chance to be a-holes without punishment, that's human nature, it's undeniable. We've all heard the excuses, the rationalisations, but when you brush all that crap aside, it simply comes down to people wanting to wreck someone else's day for no grander reason than this, they enjoy wrecking someone else's day, they enjoy wasting someone else's time, and they get a kick out of any upset caused to said someone. That's it, simple as that.

Speaking of griefers, they are coming out of their cocoons over on the PS4 side. I'm shifting over to MobiusPVE full-time until the new karma system is released. It's impossible to counter griefers without becoming one myself - what I mean is, engineering a PvP killing machine that would be terrible at all the things I enjoy doing, like exploration, passenger missions, etc.

Speaking of griefers, they are coming out of their cocoons over on the PS4 side. I'm shifting over to MobiusPVE full-time until the new karma system is released. It's impossible to counter griefers without becoming one myself - what I mean is, engineering a PvP killing machine that would be terrible at all the things I enjoy doing, like exploration, passenger missions, etc.

Mobius is good, you still get the odd caveman, but they get banned pretty quickly. The only annoying thing is that random disconnects seem to be a thing at the moment.

A sobering (but fairly accurate!) assessment of human behavior... I still think a lot of it is boredom for those at the "end game" as well as the lack of any other pvp outlet in the game. Maybe fdev should run pvp centric CGs (when was the last combat bond cg?) in tandem with the trade and bounty CGs ...

Faux teenage labeling outrage aside, they are now in the process of developing and adding a karma system and they've massively improved the effectiveness and the ease of use of the block function. So they would seem to have learned from their experience with online games.
Or they haven't. This is the first game I've ever played where you could block another player entirely. It's a bunny huggery "feature" that's there because they can't do any better. Considering the statements about their Karma system that will either be a security blanket for veterans who should know better anyways or a total joke that won't help the people that actually need it (the new guys).

Griefing is an issue that comes up a lot, thanks to another thread I've found the advice of Sandro Sammarco ED's lead designer on the griefing issue from way back in 2014. The block function (which has recently been improved) was developed specifically to deal with issues such as griefers.

Sandro Sammarco on using the block function to counter griefers in 2014:

"Hello Commanders!
In this instance, blocking the Commander might prove quite useful.
When you block somebody, a couple of things should happen.
Firstly, you will receive no communications from them.
Secondly, during any transition where matchmaking is at work (so basically, hyperspace jumps, entering and exiting super cruise) you are much less likely to be matched with the blocked Commander.
Blocking becomes weaker when it comes up against friends (and next year, player wings), because if a blocked Commander is in the same session as a friend (say, because they haven't blocked the Commander, the blocking effect is overruled by the friendship matchmaking.
Outside of this case though, blocking should work fine"

Link as it's too old to be quoted : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...rdicted?p=1219313&highlight=BLOCK#post1219313

Thanks Stigbob. This feature/solution should definitely be more visible.

Or they haven't. This is the first game I've ever played where you could block another player entirely. It's a bunny huggery "feature" that's there because they can't do any better. Considering the statements about their Karma system that will either be a security blanket for veterans who should know better anyways or a total joke that won't help the people that actually need it (the new guys).

The block function is working as was always intended lovey.

I actually banned quite a lot people from my servers for the various online games I hosted.

And with games like CSS you even had add ons to ban people "democratically".

The block function is working as was always intended lovey.

This might be working as intended, but that just goes to prove what a short sighted developer Sandro is in this regard. This "feature" is a broken piece of junk that screws up far more than it fixes. The only people who like it are partisans who will say anything do anything to ruin Open and run PvPers out of town.

Hardly a glowing recommendation for Joe Everyman to get behind.

This might be working as intended, but that just goes to prove what a short sighted developer Sandro is in this regard. This "feature" is a broken piece of junk that screws up far more than it fixes. The only people who like it are partisans who will say anything do anything to ruin Open and run PvPers out of town.

Sorry but I think the block feature actually does a lot to fix Open. It's the people who want to force others to be their victims who destroy Open. You know, these cowards that only attack someone if they are in a superior ship. Open PvP carebears.

I like open and PVP, I also like the block function.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom