Leave a message for an in-game friend

I understand how free-for-all messages could be exploited for some bad words transfer but I'd love to leave a friend a message. Yesterday we agreed to go mining and today we can't coordinate when to meet in the game. It would be really helpful if I was able to leave him a message when to turn up so we could meet.

Unfortunately thats a limitation of P2P networking.

Without using server side communication, there's simply nowhere for your message to go, although I guess you could "hold on to it" until they log in (providing you don't log off).

Discord and other apps are just easier to use.

We're using FD servers, right? Couldn't the message be stored there and the receiver notified when he logs in?

I disagree about out-of-game apps, I hate the fact that we need them and want as many of their functionalities in the game. Messages seem very easy to implement.

Make a squadron, set a message of the day... certainly that sounds the kind of thing squadrons are for 🤷‍♀️

Sounds like you're asking Fdev to write an email service so you can stay in-game, when you could just ... send an email, or PM on the forums, or whatever. Making your pal log in just to find out where you are going and when sounds ... suboptimal.

We're using FD servers, right? Couldn't the message be stored there and the receiver notified when he logs in?

I disagree about out-of-game apps, I hate the fact that we need them and want as many of their functionalities in the game. Messages seem very easy to implement.
The problem is, because EDs chat system has been so bad for so long, we're all accustomed to using third party communications.
The adding of system/squadron chat was great, and I had high hopes for using it a lot, but it came too late.
Discord is just more convenient. I can use it on my phone while playing the game on my PC. I don't miss messages, people can ping me, or PM me.

I basically just use in game chat for quick conversations.

The main problem is that frontier is using Amazon's servers to host the game which is part of their p2p model. Frontier doesn't have dedicated servers for their game.
However that doesn't mean im opposed to finding some way to leave a message.

Last edited:
The main problem is that frontier is using Amazon's servers to host the game which is part of their p2p model. Frontier doesn't have dedicated servers for their game.
They do, however, have persistent storage - your commander account is not reset every time you log off. Whether or not that persistent storage is on the same AWS hardware from day to day is mostly irrelevant for this sort of thing.

There may well be technical barriers to implementing inter-commander messaging, but their networking model is unlikely to be it. You can receive friend requests when not logged in, or NPC messages for powerplay, ship transfer, etc.

It would be a useful feature even if most high-volume comms still went over Discord, etc.

OK. The personal in game mail message in MMOs has been around for like 15 years, maybe longer. This is also linked with the block filter and friends list in other mmos.

It is just not a feature remotely considered in Elite because this wasn't really built as a full mmo, it's really an mmo lite.

In game mail, pg mail, squadron mail should all be things.

They do, however, have persistent storage - your commander account is not reset every time you log off. Whether or not that persistent storage is on the same AWS hardware from day to day is mostly irrelevant for this sort of thing.

There may well be technical barriers to implementing inter-commander messaging, but their networking model is unlikely to be it. You can receive friend requests when not logged in, or NPC messages for powerplay, ship transfer, etc.

It would be a useful feature even if most high-volume comms still went over Discord, etc.
Indeed

Well, it is incomprehensible to me how, with all the data the game already stores, something as simple as messages would be impossible.

I understand most people are, in absence of in-game tools, used to others solutions. I'm not though and I don't think I should become.

Top Bottom