Ships LEGO Space Ships...

So being a LEGO nerd off I went to Dan's Brick Builds and purchased his Alien Dropship build instructions for $10.00 USD. I thought the price was a little high but after seeing how well designed it was taking 6 hours in Lego Digital Designer (free) to complete it I got my full entertainment value. Note only the Dropship requires payment. All the other items are free. Also if you want to build it the retail price for all the LEGO parts would be around $300.00. It is a big ship as there are 2323 parts in the graphic below.

This guy is good. He nailed the Alien Dropship with all moving parts if you actually build it. So of course I sent him a zip file of Cobra Mk III pictures and diagrams old and new including my LEGO version seeing if he would take on the project. It is the iconic ship of the Elite games for 30 years and many players have an emotional attachment to it. As of Feb 2018 2.75 million customers have purchased Elite Dangerous. If only 10 percent of the player base purchases his Cobra Mk III artwork for $10.00 USD he could become very rich. Imagine what he could do converting all the Elite Dangerous ships to LEGO build instructions. We'll see...

Regards

dropshiplus.jpg

Here is my Cobra Mk III LEGO version.

cobra03.jpg

The LEGO Millennium Falcon kit no 75192 is still available but at a cost of $799.00. I would probably go with the DaGostini Model Space Falcon version at $1300.00. But this is crazy!

If one is married and spend $1000 or more on a on a model add $2000 per their wife wants a weekend on a beach in Jamaica because she lost it when they bought that model! :)

Last edited:
I could post my Lego digital designer file for the classic Cobra Mk III. Then maybe someone could refine it into a working physical model. I took a few digital 3-D shortcuts.

I could post my Lego digital designer file for the classic Cobra Mk III. Then maybe someone could refine it into a working physical model. I took a few digital 3-D shortcuts.
That's the thing with LDD, it doesn't do any analysis of whether the model would hold together in real life. It's very good for tolerances though, sometimes you do physical models that are strained and then realise that LDD has called it. When I was doing my Cobra I couldn't understand why I couldn't link everything in LDD, but going back to the prototype I realised the angles just didn't quite work properly. I think a dual approach is quite useful.

Top Bottom