LEP owners, don't you think FD should introduce partial or full LEP refund?

I wasn't aware about ED until Dec 16, 2014, the day before it was launched.

Of course I remembered my old Elite Spectrum days, seen some vids and decided to buy it. Oh, man. Everyone remembers the first year? Magic.

I did mostly trading and missions until I got to the point to try some combat without any fears. Yes, I loved that about Elite - not a simple pew-pew, but you actually have something to loose. Well, at least it was like that back then.

Then August came over. It was a little bit over 3 years ago. They showed us amazing planet tech and just remember the whole community was "I can't believe they did it and they did it LIKE THAT'... oh what a days. They introduced a LEP for a limited time and after thinking about a couple of hours, I went in and bought it. Many did.

I am not easily hyped and can always judge what is money spent on, so my logic at that point was like that: well, I paid $60 for a game in December. Fine. I got so many hours in game after this, it's pointless to discuss money/time value of that thing. I was 100% sure that ED would last over 5 years at least, and I am still not mistaken here. Ok, they want $180 for the LEP, which is roughly 4 x $60, four years of paid updates, if model more or less stays the same. The question at that time was - buy Horizons for $60 or LEP for $180. Decision was pretty easy.

I need it, I said, I have no problem paying them that, I really want ED to be the part of my life for the whole time it will exist. And I pulled the trigger. $240 for the game. Maybe for someone it's common thing, for me, though, it was the first time I've spent this money on a videogame.

Now, 3 years later everyone knows where it went. Delayed 2x Horizons, free Beyond (I appreciate it, but it still feels half-done) and now these 'prioritized' news with carefully avoiding any dates for cut features, that could be years in the future. Anyway, it's not about details here (since personally I don't care for fleet carriers, for example) but for overall direction.

It will be 4 years in December and, lets be honest, who are fooling here? We're all adults here and we know: nothing drastically 's going to change. You can't do a game on half-gas pedal pressed after year 1 and then suddenly kick it to the floor in 4 years. Things just don't work this way. Whatever it is: mismanagement, other products, overall team 'fatigue' over ED, limited resources, or piled up complexity of the code, it's not going to change.

So, with all that, I just feel FD tricked us with LEP. Maybe they didn't think it back then, but based on the facts by now it's really a ... trick. Yes, it was offered at the best time possible, right after planet tech demo, when 99% of community was so happy and the future was bright. In order to fulfill the LEP promise, FD should in theory release 2 'seasons' (equivalent) of content as Horizons were, but even better, since Horizons, overall, we know didn't live to expectations, mostly.

And those 2 'seasons' would have to be good. And that is only to be 'even'.

So yes. I don't mind paying for Horizons, of course, you can take that. But the rest of LEP, it won't be 'fulfilled' for few more years to come, if ever.

Don't get me wrong, I am not cheap. I don't need that money. It's already been spent. I just feel being tricked and I don't like that. I also feel overall disappointment with a game I read about on a forums/reddit instead of playing.

With all recent news that Zac hinted they're going to be giving some paintjobs from a store to LEP owners it feels almost like insult.

Again, I am not talking about earlier LEP owners (it was cheaper and was done prior to 2015) so I can just comment on how a person who've spent $240 on a basic game + LEP feels.

What do you guys think? Would that be a right moral thing to do for FD, to introduce partial/full refunds for LEP? They would never do that, of course, but would it be a good thing to do?

Offering a partial LEP refund is the only ethically correct path open to Frontier.

The LEP was supposed to pay for premium content. Which implies that premium content is coming.

At this point, FDEV have utterly failed to deliver anything for LEP owners. At all. In TWO years, LEP owners have not received a single piece of content for which they paid. That is highly unethical if accidental, and arguably, defrauding your consumer base. I am not saying they did intentionally defraud consumers...but the argument could certainly be made, at this point, that whether intentional or not, that is exactly what Frontier have done.

Thus, I would like to see Frontier offer a partial LEP refund before rightfully angry LEP owners put the intentionality of their lack of content to a legal test.

Whatever I don't really care anymore I still love and enjoy the game but most importantly I understand game development in 2018.

Used to enjoy reading peoples stories or opinions on the forums it's just same old drivel now repeated. No offence OP but this has been discussed countless times. Frontier have next year to deliver for my life time membership otherwise I'll ask for a refund. Like I've said in the other 500 threads. Mods do your jobs close this one down so we can get back to moaning about fleet carriers and grinding.

People really need to learn we're in the era of multiplayer games, early access games and a different type of game development the industry is changing it's not simple to make big games. Games are not simple maps or levels now development on every other major game has hit a snag or been delayed. Christ look at Scam Citizen or the GTA5 launch.... both those companies have ten times more money than little old Frontier.

You pay for a base product then eventually get something near what is promised depending on success of product and technical challenges. That is the games industry now. It's like supporting a football team you may win you may lose, the more money the team has the more likely it is to succeed with your support but theres bumps on the way.

As long as the lifetime of the game isn't over and they are actively developing expansions I don't think offering refunds would be the right thing to do.

Offering a partial LEP refund is the only ethically correct path open to Frontier.

The LEP was supposed to pay for premium content. Which implies that premium content is coming.

At this point, FDEV have utterly failed to deliver anything for LEP owners. At all. In TWO years, LEP owners have not received a single piece of content for which they paid. That is highly unethical if accidental, and arguably, defrauding your consumer base. I am not saying they did intentionally defraud consumers...but the argument could certainly be made, at this point, that whether intentional or not, that is exactly what Frontier have done.

Thus, I would like to see Frontier offer a partial LEP refund before rightfully angry LEP owners put the intentionality of their lack of content to a legal test.

Actually, Horizons was part of the LEP.

I wasn't aware about ED until Dec 16, 2014, the day before it was launched.

Of course I remembered my old Elite Spectrum days, seen some vids and decided to buy it. Oh, man. Everyone remembers the first year? Magic.

I did mostly trading and missions until I got to the point to try some combat without any fears. Yes, I loved that about Elite - not a simple pew-pew, but you actually have something to loose. Well, at least it was like that back then.

Then August came over. It was a little bit over 3 years ago. They showed us amazing planet tech and just remember the whole community was "I can't believe they did it and they did it LIKE THAT'... oh what a days. They introduced a LEP for a limited time and after thinking about a couple of hours, I went in and bought it. Many did.

I am not easily hyped and can always judge what is money spent on, so my logic at that point was like that: well, I paid $60 for a game in December. Fine. I got so many hours in game after this, it's pointless to discuss money/time value of that thing. I was 100% sure that ED would last over 5 years at least, and I am still not mistaken here. Ok, they want $180 for the LEP, which is roughly 4 x $60, four years of paid updates, if model more or less stays the same. The question at that time was - buy Horizons for $60 or LEP for $180. Decision was pretty easy.

I need it, I said, I have no problem paying them that, I really want ED to be the part of my life for the whole time it will exist. And I pulled the trigger. $240 for the game. Maybe for someone it's common thing, for me, though, it was the first time I've spent this money on a videogame.

Now, 3 years later everyone knows where it went. Delayed 2x Horizons, free Beyond (I appreciate it, but it still feels half-done) and now these 'prioritized' news with carefully avoiding any dates for cut features, that could be years in the future. Anyway, it's not about details here (since personally I don't care for fleet carriers, for example) but for overall direction.

It will be 4 years in December and, lets be honest, who are fooling here? We're all adults here and we know: nothing drastically 's going to change. You can't do a game on half-gas pedal pressed after year 1 and then suddenly kick it to the floor in 4 years. Things just don't work this way. Whatever it is: mismanagement, other products, overall team 'fatigue' over ED, limited resources, or piled up complexity of the code, it's not going to change.

So, with all that, I just feel FD tricked us with LEP. Maybe they didn't think it back then, but based on the facts by now it's really a ... trick. Yes, it was offered at the best time possible, right after planet tech demo, when 99% of community was so happy and the future was bright. In order to fulfill the LEP promise, FD should in theory release 2 'seasons' (equivalent) of content as Horizons were, but even better, since Horizons, overall, we know didn't live to expectations, mostly.

And those 2 'seasons' would have to be good. And that is only to be 'even'.

So yes. I don't mind paying for Horizons, of course, you can take that. But the rest of LEP, it won't be 'fulfilled' for few more years to come, if ever.

Don't get me wrong, I am not cheap. I don't need that money. It's already been spent. I just feel being tricked and I don't like that. I also feel overall disappointment with a game I read about on a forums/reddit instead of playing.

With all recent news that Zac hinted they're going to be giving some paintjobs from a store to LEP owners it feels almost like insult.

Again, I am not talking about earlier LEP owners (it was cheaper and was done prior to 2015) so I can just comment on how a person who've spent $240 on a basic game + LEP feels.

What do you guys think? Would that be a right moral thing to do for FD, to introduce partial/full refunds for LEP? They would never do that, of course, but would it be a good thing to do?

I get that the only few words you understood from all the Zac posts are "ice planets ... carriers... delayed..."

Ok, but don't blame others for your lack of understanding skills or patience.

Top Bottom