Less Tedious and Mind-Numbing Surface Material Gathering

Alright, I'm on my way back from Arm's End. It takes a great many boosted jumps to get out there, over 31 for less than a 2kly stretch of the 6.5 or so kly of sparse stars. Fortunately, through divine intervention or sheer luck, there also happens to be quite a few Jumponium-rich systems out there. Unfortunately, one ends up having to collect around 30 polonium, 30 yttrium, 70 cadmium, and damn near a hundred niobium (and many more elements required for jumponium) at the next green system. This is a problem, as I've been hunting for that polonium for 15 hours now and still need to collect 58 niobium. Needless to say, I've had enough of this and if I have to do this any more I may well go insane. Therefore, I propose a solution.

The surface maps of planets are nearly useless at the moment, so why not display what materials are available across the surface and in what frequencies? For example, polonium would be more common in red. The more opaque the red appears on the map, the more frequently it would appear. Another game, Kerbal Space Program, does this quite well:
MuqK5nD.png

Building on the last idea, there could be a planetary drill attachment available for purchase in stations. It would be able to, well, drill into the surface of a planet and instead of having to mindlessly drive over bumps and cliffs and crashing into rocks for hours upon hours with the SRV, you'd get a steady input of mats straight to your materials bay.

Of course, there'd have to be some balancing. For instance, maybe you wouldn't be able to filter out tin or carbon or something and it would just take up space in your material storage until you dumped them. Or maybe the drill would be extremely slow, but harvesting materials reliably over that amount of time.

I really don't care how collecting mats from the surface is optimized, but it should be another feature on the list of things that need to be improved. I'm sick of driving around in search of one item for hours on end.

TL;DR
I hate how grindy it is to get materials off the surface of planets and wish there were a more efficient and less tedious way of going about collecting them.

Last edited:
TL;DR
I hate how grindy it is to get materials off the surface of planets and wish there were a more efficient and less tedious way of going about collecting them.

There already is, just - shock, horror - ya need to ask or work it out.

Typically high rarity minerals are found most in metallic meteorites, which in turn are found in lower/rougher areas of a planet; canyons, low down hilly areas, some craters. If I want to obtain a high rarity mineral and the planet I am headed towards is smooth as a baby's buttock, I hit the big red "abort" button and find a new one that is as creased and rocky as possible, even if it has a lower raw percentage of the mineral I am after.

Of course it's also not unfair to say 30 to 100 each of uncommon/rare mats should be difficult to obtain.

Wanna address a real part of boredom in mat grinding? PoIs. *shudders*

On, nice name by the way. Made me chuckle.

Last edited:
A heat map would be an excellent feature for surface prospecting.
Especially combined with a custom surface waypoint.

I do enjoy belting along in the SRV, doing untold damage to my suspension, looking for materials.
But it would feel far less tedious if I actually knew where a higher concentration of rare materials might be, rather than just bouncing my SRV around in the hopes I find what I'm looking for.

There already is, just - shock, horror - ya need to ask or work it out.

Typically high rarity minerals are found most in metallic meteorites, which in turn are found in lower/rougher areas of a planet; canyons, low down hilly areas, some craters. If I want to obtain a high rarity mineral and the planet I am headed towards is smooth as a baby's buttock, I hit the big red "abort" button and find a new one that is as creased and rocky as possible, even if it has a lower raw percentage of the mineral I am after.

Yeah, I looked for the metallic meteorites the whole time and used the wiki to look up the sources of the mats I need. I went into the canyons, just because I hate how chaotic it is to go over a lot of foothills (the SRV loves to turn around and look at how far it's come) and found very few of anything besides rocky outcroppings and bronzite chondrite. I think my complaint lies with the RNG, because as soon as I left the planet I was searching for polonium on (for at least 3-4 hours) I found 6 MMs in a row on the edge of a crater and was able to leave the system in an hour or less. So I don't know, it'd be nice to have a reliable system like drilling into the crust, knowing what you'd be likely to get in that location. Could be that I just don't like running around in an SRV, flipping around constantly and hitting rocks. I'm probably just cynical, haha.

PoIs suck, though. They're the worst to track down to me, probably next to those damned metallic meteors

I like the idea of mining planets for materials. And I could imagine that scanning a given planet with a surface scanner would also reveal likely deposits of various materials - or make an underground scanner for it if you really have to. We can already mine asteroids, so mining planets is just the next logical step.

I find that, if using eddb.io to search for materials I am better off ignoring the percentages and just searching a convenient, nearby planet. I once searched for Technetium for two days on a world that supposedly had a high % of it only to start tripping over the stuff on another planet (while searching for something else) that was supposedly a very low % of technetium planet. It has happened searching for other materials as well. Went looking for a material on a low percentage world because that planet had a high % of another material I was looking for (arsenic) and loaded up on a rare, very low percentage material (niobium?) within a few minutes, metallic meteorites and mesosiderites all over the place. o7

I find that, if using eddb.io to search for materials I am better off ignoring the percentages and just searching a convenient, nearby planet. I once searched for Technetium for two days on a world that supposedly had a high % of it only to start tripping over the stuff on another planet (while searching for something else) that was supposedly a very low % of technetium planet. It has happened searching for other materials as well. Went looking for a material on a low percentage world because that planet had a high % of another material I was looking for (arsenic) and loaded up on a rare, very low percentage material (niobium?) within a few minutes, metallic meteorites and mesosiderites all over the place. o7

No, that's just Murphy's Law.

You know how common Sulphur is, right?
I specifically landed on a planet to find a shed load of Sulphur for reloads.

Took me like 20 minutes to find my first rock containing Sulphur. Lol

Top Bottom