"Lesser-Known" Animals Wishlist #2: Large Mammals!

Time for the medium-to-large mammals!

Amur Leopard. I hope if they include it, they give us a commonly occurring reddish-gold variant. A leopard of this colour, walking through the snow, is exactly what made me so enchanted by these cats in the first place.

1580869711653.png

Clouded Leopard

1580869746547.png

Spectacled Bear

1580869784752.png

Sloth Bear

1580869855780.png

Sun Bear

1580869906689.png

Ethiopian Wolf

1580869973223.png

Maned Wolf

1580870015997.png

Dhole

1580870145125.png

Saiga Antelope

1580870185588.png

Gerenuk

1580870217847.png

Last edited:
these are awesome!

something is wrong with the first post. pics show as attachments and "Oops! We ran into some problems. The requested page could not be found."

Just saw that! I'll see if I can put it back to normal.. it's very strange.

I could get behind pretty much everything on this list.

Though, I'd prefer a more conventional baboon before the gelada. Gelada are amazing, but I think Zoo Tycoon 2 did the wrong thing by choosing them for African Adventure instead of, say, the Hamadryas baboon or chacma baboon or something.

Same here, I'd love to see most animals in this topic

Personally I'd prefer if they add the more unique looking animals first.

I have to agree with NZfanatic on the Hamadryas Baboon - was somewhat expecting to have this animal in the base game.
They are very common in most zoos.

Same here, I'd love to see most animals in this topic

Personally I'd prefer if they add the more unique looking animals first.

I have to agree with NZfanatic on the Hamadryas Baboon - was somewhat expecting to have this animal in the base game.
They are very common in most zoos.
I could get behind pretty much everything on this list.

Though, I'd prefer a more conventional baboon before the gelada. Gelada are amazing, but I think Zoo Tycoon 2 did the wrong thing by choosing them for African Adventure instead of, say, the Hamadryas baboon or chacma baboon or something.

Totally! But keep in mind, the point of this series was to encourage Frontier to include animals that many people don't know about, instead of just animals that everyone already knows about, to live up to their stated goal of "educational value." (the intro / "forward" of my series is on this post here.) They're already doing a great job with animals like the Nyala, Bongo, and Pangolin. But yeah, it would seem strange if they included the gelada but not a more common baboon! It'd also be weird if they included animals on this post, but there were no kangaroos, African rhinos, penguins, koalas, African leopards, jaguars, or foxes to be seen.

Last edited:
I would love to see more ungulates included. I'm thinking of sitatunga, dama gazelle, Addax, oryxes, grévy zebra, blue sheep and markhors.

Time for the medium-to-large mammals!

Amur Leopard. I hope if they include it, they give us a commonly occurring reddish-gold variant. A leopard of this colour, walking through the snow, is exactly what made me so enchanted by these cats in the first place.

View attachment 161261

Clouded Leopard

View attachment 161262

Spectacled Bear

View attachment 161263

Sloth Bear

View attachment 161264

Sun Bear

View attachment 161265

Ethiopian Wolf

View attachment 161266

Maned Wolf

View attachment 161267

Dhole

View attachment 161268

Saiga Antelope

View attachment 161270

Gerenuk

View attachment 161271

one can never have enough cats, bears and dogs.

View attachment 162223
I don’t know how common these guys are in zoos but a Hirola would make a unique addition to the game. I also agree with more cats,bears,and dogs. I’d like 3-4 species of small cats since the game currently has none. The markhor would be great also.

There currently aren't any hirola kept in captivity, although they bred very well at Dvur Kralove Zoo in the Czech Republic and the last one in captivity lived at Gladys Porter Zoo in Texas until the mid 2000s. I think it would be great to see the hirola represented in Planet Zoo, partly because there was some recent research that indicated the hirola should get a new captive breeding programme again as a matter of urgency, because it is due to lose its entire current habitat to climate change. I think it would be great to get (at least) one species that isn't kept in zoos yet but has received a recommendation for a captive breeding programme, in order to show that there are still animals out there that zoos can assist.

Top Bottom