General / Off-Topic Let's Have A Debate: To Be, Or Not To Be Vegan? That Is The Question ...

Let's Have A Debate

The what:
This is just for fun, don't take it too serious.
Pick a side, debate for that side over the other ... or sit on the fence and debate both sides.
Just because you picked a side to debate for, does not have to reflect your actual feelings on the matter, this is for fun.
IF YOU POST IN THIS THREAD, pick one side or both ... DO NOT POST AND PICK NO SIDES AT ALL, doing so, you acknowledge that the moderators are free to do whatever they wish to your post (remember, this is for fun).
While this is the Off Topic section, please don't go off topic to the thread's topic

At the end of it, there is no "winner" or "loser" or maybe both sides are "winners" ... who cares?, it is just for fun.

When the thread has run it's course, maybe we'll have a different debate on something else, hopefully, that'll be fun as well.

THIS DEBATE: To be Vegan or not to be Vegan

THE DEBATE FOR BEING VEGAN:
It's morally wrong to farm animals for food. How they are treated while alive or killed is not ethical, or fair to the animals.
Eating meat, especially red meat, is bad for your health. Meat is too fatty and too full of carbohydrates or fatty acids.
It's just not sustainable economically. It's much better to have plant based food, easier to manage and less environmentally damaging.

THE DEBATE FOR NOT BEING VEGAN:
How is it any more morally wrong to farm animals than it is to farm plants?
How can it be healthier to only eat plants when Vegans have to take vitamin B12 substitute as they can't get that from plants?
We humans, descended from apes, are omnivores. Our teeth have incisors and molars to eat and chew a variety of foods both meat and plants. It is not healthy to only eat one and not the other.

PLEASE KEEP THE DEBATE FRIENDLY AND OPEN-MINDED

I eat meat, and I love it, and it’s good for the environment!
And this scientist backs it up, but we always knew that, problem is it’s not political correct.

Last edited:
The bottom line is survival, by any means necessary. That requirement is particularly acute when you have more than one mouth to feed.
My fiance was a vegetarian at one point, she was also homeless at the time and saw a school kid drop a ham sandwich in the bin because he didn't like the look of it. At that point she found herself faced with the question of abandoning vegetarianism or going hungry. She hasn't been a vegetarian since.
Meat is critical to people from the Kalahari to the Arctic and much of our upland farms simply aren't suitable for arable crops.
One thing that is important is to respect where our food comes from.

My vote is to eat people until the human population is down to a more sustainable level of 100-500 million, then there will be plenty of everything for everyone.

How is it any more morally wrong to farm animals than it is to farm plants?

Well, higher animals can suffer while plants cannot.

The bottom line is survival, by any means necessary.

That's probably the strongest argument for eliminating most meat, especially anything bigger than chicken, from common consumption.

From a raw numbers perspective, livestock are extremely inefficient ways to utilize land and feed.

That's probably the strongest argument for eliminating most meat, especially anything bigger than chicken, from common consumption.
From a raw numbers perspective, livestock are extremely inefficient ways to utilize land and feed.
Does not apply to upland farms or marginal pasture.

Does not apply to upland farms or marginal pasture.

Or anywhere with high population density.

I almost put in the first post that plants feel pain too. It's been scientifically proven.

Plants don't have nervous systems and nothing they are capable of 'feeling' would be equivalent to pain, nor do they have the capacity to suffer in a manner even vaguely equivalent to that of higher animals.

Two removed from the sun. That's what I believe.
I think it's healthy to eat (some of the) plants and (some of the) herbivores. Eating carnivores can be questionable when comes to health, but if it's outweighted by their deliciousness, so be it, I'll make an exception.

I never understood vegans. The only argument I am willing to accept is the "I love animals, therefore I don't want ot eat them." That's fair, I think. Although some of them seem to feel like it gives them moral superiority.
What I don't understand is the rest of their diet. Regular sugar instead of honey? Really? I would probably skip the sweets altogether in that case. And "exploiting bees"? Yeah, right. If it weren't for the beekeepers, bees would be extinct, now. And if you ever ate a mango or a cherry (or many other fruits), they are also "exploiting bees". So there. :LOL:

Top Bottom