LGBTQ+ Flags as ship paint jobs?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
images (15).jpg

While people may not have much control over who or what they find attractive, they certainly have a choice in how they react to and express those feelings.

Anyway, the issue of choice is a nonissue to me. Those that bring it up often do so with the implication that the minority choice would somehow be the incorrect choice. This strikes me as abject nonsense. Even if one's sexuality were entirely down to choice, condemning someone for any willful, informed, choice that isn't doing me any harm would be nuts.

I hate beer, but I don't have any particular problem with beer drinkers, beer brewers, or beer peddlers. I just won't drink it.

I do care if you are a loving caring human who respects all other humans they meet in their lives. Work on that.

You say you care, but yet you disrespect other humans by repeatedly referring to it as a 'lifestyle' despite being shown guidance on what is deemed offensive and disrespectful, if I could try and change your mind to be more respectful by using more empathetic and widely accepted terminology then great, that's exactly what I'm working on.

Ohh can I have an attacker helicopter flag too please.
Maybe a Squirrel one too.
I like to smoke so a Cigarette one too.

Thanks. !

Saying you welcome self expression as the opener then explaining why it shouldn't be allowed based on some miss truths is pretty hypocritical.

for clarity the flag does not denote your sexuality, and its not about "look at me"

0c670e89c68b420114ae485df3d00599.jpg

well firstly its not a declaration, its a flag of principles, respect and equality, about being equals.... but yes it is necessary as clearly its not understood and people need to speak up and know they will be supported against any discrimination
  • One in five LGBT people have experienced a hate crime or incident because of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity in the last 12 months
  • Two in five trans people have experienced a hate crime or incident because of their gender identity in the last 12 months
  • Four in five anti-LGBT hate crimes and incidents go unreported, with younger LGBT people particularly reluctant to go to the police
The flag represents a space where your voice will be heard, your welcome and discrimination wont be tolerated, you would be very naive to think this discrimination is only on the streets, its more frequent online as the culprit can hide behind their keyboard.

The biggest problem is the fact no-ones talking about it, through open dialogue and discussion people can learn the struggles the community faces on a day to day basis, none of these statistics are "social norms".
  • Three in 10 LGBT people (29 per cent) avoid certain streets because they do not feel safe there as an LGBT person
  • More than a third of LGBT people (36 per cent) say they don’t feel comfortable walking down the street while holding their partner's hand. This increases to three in five gay men (58 per cent)
  • Eight in 10 LGBT people (80 per cent) lie about their sexuality to avoid discrimination in the online gaming community
The last statistic is why i feel its hugely important to have flags in games, people should be free to be themselves without fear of discrimination.

Lifestyle... a lifestyle implies you have a choice, if you used the same wording to describe race rather than sexuality that would not be acceptable at all, and rightly so, but it also does not make it right to describe sexuality as a 'lifestyle' as it certainly inst a choice which the word lifestyle very much implies.

this is exactly why i feel its important, and these items need addressing, these small micro aggression's can have a big impact on peoples mental health, and if they were said in the workplace would all be grounds for a tribunal, it shouldn't be socially acceptable to degrade someones sexuality by describing it as a lifestyle and imply the flag promotes it.

Let people do what they like it's not effecting you.

"please describe now, any sexual acts you partake in, that the company should know about"

That’s s what the question "sexual orientation" means when it's on a form.

As I said, it seems that in the west the job of raising awareness is done, and doing so on a 24/7 basis runs counter productive to the end goal.

The movement has come a long way, and that's great, but the final stage is to cast away the tools and crutches 'of the struggle' and just be.

You can't have "treat us the same" and "we want special things" both.

I could also think of many streets and places where I wouldn't feel safe walking decked out in Elite dangerous merchandise. Sure, I'm unlikely to get beaten up walking around Central London covered in fantasy space ships, but there are places where that could quickly get you into bother.

You have the right sentiment at the end of your post.

Let people do what they like it's not effecting you.

Do what you want. Stop trying to effect people.

And maybe that's scary. The worry is that the boat still has water coming in and if you stop manning the pumps now, the boat will start to sink again. It won't. The work done will not be undone. Come above deck and enjoy the view a little also might help avoid any up coming ice bergs.

E.g. There are people I know IRL who actively hide that they are gay and lesbian because they don't want any association with the movement and assumption that they agree with everything it stands for.

Want to meet a gay man who thinks that 2 gay men shouldn't be raising children, I can introduce you.

If you look for transgressions you will find them. Anyone kissing in public gets looks, some approving and some disproving, that's why you will have to engage some serious memory circuits to recall the last time you saw a couple kissing romantically in public.

Plastering the flag everywhere as dictated by intersectional doctrine is now counter to the cause of equality.

The people who make issue with Christianity should note that it's the fact that the movement changed with times, and readily absorbed other faiths and customs.

None of the Christian holidays originate in Christianity. Easter, Halloween, Christmas are all far older than Jesus.

The movement has come a long way, and that's great, but the final stage is to cast away the tools and crutches 'of the struggle' and just be.

The final stage would be when it's no longer regarded as a contentious issue at all, let alone a source of physical attacks, criminalization, boycotting and discrimination. Unfortunately I don't think we are anywhere near that stage yet.

The final stage would be when it's no longer regarded as a contentious issue at all, let alone a source of physical attacks, criminalization, boycotting and discrimination. Unfortunately I don't think we are anywhere near that stage yet.

The final stage is intercourse is only pleasure. People also marry androids. Babies are grown in tubes (artificial wombs) at hospitals and such.

Last edited:
This is a bizarre reaction to a request for a new flag paintjob where these already exist in game. I can already buy a flag in game to identify a certain way.

How often do you see someone's ship that you would be threatened by this? If seeing what this stands for makes you angry, you're part of the problem.

After reading this thread (and I wish I hadn't now) I'd quite happily put myself down for buying this paint job purely in support of FDev doing it.

This is a bizarre reaction to a request for a new flag paintjob where these already exist in game. I can already buy a flag in game to identify a certain way.

People now say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas in western countries, because the word "Christmas" might exclude or offend someone. When a company starts going this route and injects its political agenda into their products they might as well delete most of the lore, because it would exclude or offend someone.

In some places the British, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Russian, Chinese etc flags remind people of an oppressive colonial history. So might as well remove that to be inclusive.

If you add flags for a social issue, then there are hundreds more non-country flags and symbols that should be included.

I think Frontier would add it, because it increases sales and revenue.

Last edited:
People now say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas in western countries, because the word "Christmas" might exclude or offend someone. When a company starts going this route and injects its political agenda into their products they might as well delete most of the lore, because it would exclude or offend someone.

If you add flags for a major issue, then there are hundreds more non-country flags and symbols that should be included.
Then remove all flags as having any one in the game, especially when those countries don't exist in game lore in 3306 is pushing a political agenda.

If you actually want any of those other flags and symbols in game, why not suggest them and let FDev decide on the merits of them.

Last edited:
Then remove all flags as having any one in the game, especially when those countries don't exist in game lore in 3306 is pushing a political agenda.

To be fair, this is what I would have preferred - at least replace them with in game lore friendly flags rather than bring real life (in this context) to the game & what I'm arguing for.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
Lets set this into perspective:

Player 1 posts a suggestion for an in-game Paint job......

15 pages of "Offended", "Defending" and "Uninterested but still feel the need to post about how much a new paint job doesn't affect them" posts later and the discussion has moved to whether 2 gay men should raise children.

Get some perspective and get back on topic please.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom