LGBTQ+ Flags as ship paint jobs?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'm on the fence so to speak.

Yes you are more than welcome to put forward your idea and I'll defend anyone who's part of the LGBTQ+ community but on the other side shouldn't we be trying to keep this sort of stuff out of games as they are make believe.

You wouldn't bring other subjects into the game that's affecting the world right now so why not just leave it be.

So

we are currently (restricted) to limited number of colours then, I didn't know that
I suppose if that's the restriction its also the answer why we cant have customised creations?

Is this something that is hardwired into the game engine or could it be added at some point?

I've been keeping out of the thread for a while, but i thought i'd pop in to address this since it was me who reminded people of the issues with OP's request.

I do not know how FD currently do the paintjobs except that there is the 3 colour limit.

I can only presume there are two ways they could go with it:

1) If the system is extensible, then they can extend it. So the system basically does something like saying colour 1 is red, color 2 is yellow, color 3 is blue, but there is no colour 4 or 5 on existing skins, but they can change the code to allow colour 4, 5, 6 etc and newer paintjobs then can have more colours.

2) If it is not extensible for whatever reason (maybe due to some third party libraries they are using or some specific tech) then they would have to redo the system, which of course would be more work, and i can only presume would break compatibility with existing skins, requiring all existing skins to be redone... ouch!

If 2 is right, then there could be an option 3, a bit messier, but keep the existing system for existing paintjobs and add an alternate system for newer paintjobs, but i suspect most devs would hate going down that road, having to maintain two systems that do the same job.

Regardless, its extra work they would need to do to accomodate OP's request, and considering they are hard at work on Odyssey at the moment, unless they are already redoing the paintjob system, i very much doubt they would add a rework at this time.

So, i would suggest to OP after the dust has settled with Odyssey, revisit the topic, but start from the point of view of asking about a rework to the pointjob system to allow more colours and the benefits this could bring, such as allowing much more fanciful and complex designs, which of course, many people would be willing to pay good money for. It would also mean there would be none of this arguing over whether FD should add a gay pride flag or not, and all those who are currently objecting would most likely be on board with the suggestion.

Should FD then do a new system then there are at least no more technical blockers to adding the gay pride flag.

I'm guessing they they have someone who does the skins update we get every few weeks, maybe an option for them to stop doing these skins and look at ways of incorporating it, someone suggested you would create a design and use ARX to buy it, which would replace the current revenue

There must be appetite for paint jobs, imagine the appetite of creating your own!

As I said, it seems that in the west the job of raising awareness is done

Your own arguments about "the movement" and "intersectionality" are overgeneralized strawmen that don't even begin to address the issues put forward by those you are arguing against...but the job of raising awareness is done?

Obviously not.

Do what you want. Stop trying to effect people.

"Express yourself as you see fit, as long as your keep it to yourself", is a rather contradictory set of sentiments.

Do you actually see the paintjob/decal when a ship zips past you?

Not all ships zip past. Some stop to shoot...and some aren't so great at shaking my CMDR when he's in pursuit.

You wouldn't bring other subjects into the game that's affecting the world right now so why not just leave it be.

Yeah, cause rival superpowers, slavery, plagues, succession intrigue, and terrorism are totally foreign to contemporary events...

People who think LGBTQ+ rights are "politics" are deluded.

There are political implications to everything.

I've been keeping out of the thread for a while, but i thought i'd pop in to address this since it was me who reminded people of the issues with OP's request.

I do not know how FD currently do the paintjobs except that there is the 3 colour limit.

I can only presume there are two ways they could go with it:

1) If the system is extensible, then they can extend it. So the system basically does something like saying colour 1 is red, color 2 is yellow, color 3 is blue, but there is no colour 4 or 5 on existing skins, but they can change the code to allow colour 4, 5, 6 etc and newer paintjobs then can have more colours.

2) If it is not extensible for whatever reason (maybe due to some third party libraries they are using or some specific tech) then they would have to redo the system, which of course would be more work, and i can only presume would break compatibility with existing skins, requiring all existing skins to be redone... ouch!

If 2 is right, then there could be an option 3, a bit messier, but keep the existing system for existing paintjobs and add an alternate system for newer paintjobs, but i suspect most devs would hate going down that road, having to maintain two systems that do the same job.

Regardless, its extra work they would need to do to accomodate OP's request, and considering they are hard at work on Odyssey at the moment, unless they are already redoing the paintjob system, i very much doubt they would add a rework at this time.

So, i would suggest to OP after the dust has settled with Odyssey, revisit the topic, but start from the point of view of asking about a rework to the pointjob system to allow more colours and the benefits this could bring, such as allowing much more fanciful and complex designs, which of course, many people would be willing to pay good money for. It would also mean there would be none of this arguing over whether FD should add a gay pride flag or not, and all those who are currently objecting would most likely be on board with the suggestion.

Should FD then do a new system then there are at least no more technical blockers to adding the gay pride flag.
I think this is a good point. I never really expected FD to do something, I suppose it was more just getting my idea out there, and yes, I definitely like your idea. Thank you, CMDR

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom