Astronomy / Space Lifeforms found on Mars!

No conclusive evidence of any martian life, as of yet, and if there ever is, the odds of them being complex multi-cellular organisms is quite low.

Any claim of an insect or reptile would need an equally astounding level of proof to be taken seriously, not someone seeing shapes in photos of rocks.

They all look rather like wind-eroded bits of rock to me. Blurry bits of wind-eroded rock, at that. I spent weeks in Iceland travelling through the highland deserts, and amused myself by finding shapes and creatures in lava flows, outwash till, and sastrugi; it is easy to do, I never imagined I might write a scientific paper on my imagination before now though :)

The good professor appears to think that these things are flying around in abundance out there right now. Given the inability of my car to make a short journey in summer without being spattered in suicidal insectoid life, it seems somewhat surprising that Curiosity hasn’t been obviously and copiously covered in Martian bugs long before now. With the way things like that usually work, a big fat one should have splatted the camera lens within minutes ;)

Yeah right.... just like the ''Celtic Cross'' found on Mars....... just another misinterpretation:

So this is the methodology this guy used:

The NASA-JPL images relayed to Earth by land-based vehicles (“rovers”), sent to Mars via spacecraft are available to the public
on the internet. This database of photos, both raw images and compiled panoramic mosaics, that has been collected over many
years by several different missions has been used in this study, mostly from Curiosity rover (NASA/JPL). Individual images were
carefully studied while varying photographic parameters such as brightness, contrast, saturation, inversion, and so on. No
content was added, or removed.
The following criteria were useful in identifying life forms: dramatic departure from the surroundings, clarity of form, body
symmetry, segmentation of body parts, repeating form, skeletal remains, and observation of forms in close proximity to one
another. Particular postures, evidence of motion, flight, apparent interaction as suggested by relative positions, and shiny eyes
were taken to be consistent with the presence of living forms. Once a clear image of a given form was identified and described, it
was useful in facilitating recognition of other less clear, but none-the-less valid, images of the same basic form.
The descriptions and interpretations of images are somewhat tentative, and may well change with more study and as knowledge
of Martian fauna increases. I encourage you to check my findings for yourself. The URLs of the photos used will be listed on my
website, scienceofentomology.com and in formal publication of this material in the future.

In other words, he manually inspected the photos. Sorry, that's an awfully unreliable way to show there's actually life on mars so the OP title (as I expected) is pure clickbait.

Does the paper say anything about the dimensions of these alleged 'insects'? I seem to recall arch-extraterrestrial-dingbattry-theorist Erich von Däniken claiming that photos of the Nazca Lines showed that they were in fact airports for alien aircraft (!) while omitting to mention that the relevant structures would only suit vehicles that were a foot or so in size. A blurry image of a 'grasshopper' becomes even less convincing if you realise that whatever it is is either the size of a grain of rice, or a zeppelin.

NASA Photos Show Insect- and Reptile-Like Life Forms on Mars, Entomologist Says
To be nitpicky about it (as per usual, sorry), we already knew there's (was) life on Mars since 80s when scientists found bacteria fossils in an asteroid with confirmed martian origin.
But yeah, if these are true, that's awesome.

Naturally we have a strong suspicion that where there's water, there's life somewhat in general but it's about time we start finding some evidence. :)

To be nitpicky about it (as per usual, sorry), we already knew there's (was) life on Mars since 80s when scientists found bacteria fossils in an asteroid with confirmed martian origin.
But yeah, if these are true, that's awesome.

Naturally we have a strong suspicion that where there's water, there's life somewhat in general but it's about time we start finding some evidence. :)

Presumably you are referring to the ALH 84001 that Clinton did his speech on the announcement in 1996. I believe that the general consensus now is that the evidence is not that convincing. There was another Alan Hill meteorite biosignature announcement this year (ALH 77005) but I don't know what has become of that story.

This one? Hardly, there's still far too much controversy and the year when it was claimed to have evidence for ancient bacterial life was 1996, i.e., we didn't know in the 80's.

Elite Dangerous shows us the way: try shooting them.
They may drop bits useful for engineering. :D

You know, the more I look at the photos, the more I come to realise that they may actually be Elite Dangerous spaceships, rather than insects. I wonder if I can get this observation published in a scientific journal? *

* Actually, I know I can. If by 'scientific journal' I mean one of the many 'journals' that will publish anything for a fat fee.

Why would critters on Mars have Earth-critter-like wings? Earth-wings are useless in Mars' thin atmosphere for actual flying.

I would expect that actual flying creatures on Mars would look nothing like Earth birds, bats or insects. WIth the low gravity and thin air, I'd expect something more akin to a jumping spider.

Why would critters on Mars have Earth-critter-like wings? Earth-wings are useless in Mars' thin atmosphere for actual flying.

I would expect that actual flying creatures on Mars would look nothing like Earth birds, bats or insects. WIth the low gravity and thin air, I'd expect something more akin to a jumping spider.
Mars is really a ty planet !

:D

Top Bottom