Lifetime pass and general update questions

Technically it needs to be value over the life time of the game and that is how it will look legaly too. I don't think FDev have done anything particularly wrong and I don't think they have deliberatly gone out of their way to annoy the LEP owners that are upset. Yes it is taking longer then what we all want and that is probably the same for FDev too.

As to the new era we don't really know what will happen with that. For all we know there could be more then one DLC available which may make up for the time taken. We probably only have 10 months or so for something to be shown and 10 months can go pretty quickly.

If you are happy to let them sit on your cash that's fine. I'm not.

If you are happy to let them sit on your cash that's fine. I'm not.
I am not an LEP owner because:

1. I do not know the timescale of the expansions.

2. I do not know if I will like all the expansions when they come.

Lets say FDev do four expansions which would be better value for LEP owners then the people that buy them seperatly, but what if you only liked two of those expansions. You are at a loss.

I would never by an LEP for these two reasons. You risk your own money in the hope that you will want and like every expansion.

As to sitting on the cash, I am sure it has been used for Season 2, Beyond and the next era. So no it isn't being sat upon, it is actually being used to fund the game and probably others, just as other games are probably helping to fund ED's future.

I am not an LEP owner because:

1. I do not know the timescale of the expansions.

2. I do not know if I will like all the expansions when they come.

Lets say FDev do four expansions which would be better value for LEP owners then the people that buy them seperatly, but what if you only liked two of those expansions. You are at a loss.

I would never by an LEP for these two reasons. You risk your own money in the hope that you will want and like every expansion.

As to sitting on the cash, I am sure it has been used for Season 2, Beyond and the next era. So no it isn't being sat upon, it is actually being used to fund the game and probably others, just as other games are probably helping to fund ED's future.

So you have nothing to complain about and you nitpick over minutiae.

Solutions to this ongoing issue:

Provide the stuff,
In one year and 3-5 months time you will get the next expansion (possibly space legs, could be more too such as early atmospherics (Two DLCs)).

Talk about it,
They have, but for in-depth knowledge we will have to wait.

Offer to return the money.
Why should they? The life time of the game is not up yet.

Put the LEP on permanent sale in the shop.
They may do when the next expansion is released like they did with horizons.

I love that :) wish I had thought of it first, my questions is, is it the clarity that's vague though or that the vagueness is clear. FDs approach shows they've studied the Political arena or maybe Mycology and we know how that goes..

It's clearly vagary ;)

Honestly, I don't envy the community guys during this run (let alone us...). There's going to be an absolute dearth of concrete or sexy details for them to fling around the place. Aside from the skimpier 4-month updates.

Those above quotes are practically the hardest nuggets of info we've had in ages ;)

As far as im aware they are. Lets be honest here they could rush out a release next month and you and other LEPers would be saying its trash and asking for a refund.

Presumably you will be fine with them deducting anything you have gained as a LEPer?

Why so they can have even more people with poor impulse control and expectation management skills starting threads asking where their stuff is.

Yes the AFAIK is the bit that's a problem, none of us know any more. Clearly rushing out releases isn't desirable, but that does seem to have become the norm. Working to a plan, with deadlines that are realistic for the content. I have very low expectations for what is delivered, but it was greater than 'nothing for the next 5 years'.

People saying something is trash & asking for a refund based on that is certainly something that could happen.

Deducting anything I gained as an LEPer? That would be the cosmetics we got in December (snowflake & a few other bits) which were gifted as an apology for the protracted delay. The apology was worth something to me, the cosmetics themselves aren't.

I think the argument that some people have poor impulse control is not one FDev would make. They sold the thing, they could demonstrate their confidence that enough stuff will still be delivered to make it a worthwhile purchase now as it was in 2015.

Taking the money then not delivering anything for years, then forgetting about those customers (at FX17), saying when chased up that there will be another long delay, then when that date approaches apologising & announcing an even longer delay? That doesn't inspire confidence.

So it seems to me the problem is easily solved. Just return the money for anyone who is not happy to keep waiting any more. I'd rather they talk about what's coming of course, but I accept they feel they cannot. I'd rather they had actually delivered the content, there certainly has been enough time for stuff to be delivered, there certainly has been content delivered that could have been charged for. Offering to return that extra money is a viable & practical solution under the circumstances. No company wants to give up income, but as you say yourself they have effectively ruled out the preferable options over the past several years of inaction & silence.

Last edited:
As far as im aware they are. Lets be honest here they could rush out a release next month and you and other LEPers would be saying its trash and asking for a refund.

Presumably you will be fine with them deducting anything you have gained as a LEPer?

Why so they can have even more people with poor impulse control and expectation management skills starting threads asking where their stuff is.
Its not down to poor impulse control i can assure you. I paid £200 or so to be part of the original Alpha and loved it. So naturally when the offer for the LEP offer came up I thought it would be a good way of continuing my support. However how its been handled so far is a bit crap TBH and I'm liking it to backing a derailed Kickstarter project.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Deducting anything I gained as an LEPer? That would be the cosmetics we got in December (snowflake & a few other bits) which were gifted as an apology for the protracted delay. The apology was worth something to me, the cosmetics themselves aren't.

If I am not mistaken, and if you bought the 2015 LEP, you would also have to deduct at least the price of the vanilla game (unless you had it already in which case you got a reduced LEP price), plus the Horizons standalone price and the price of the beta access upgrade, all at the time you bought the LEP, for example.

Last edited:
No it doesn't. If they are continually lying about what is said about the next era of ED, then that is as bad marketing as it gets. They have explicitly said it is not ED2, they have explicitly said it will be for the current game. Not only would they loose faith with the people playing at the moment and any potential new customers, there would need to be considerably refunds to all the LEP owners.

In short it would be a marketing disaster. The probability that ED is final is extremely low in my professional marketing experience.
Not lying it is change to their product and strategy. There's no fixed live span for ED. Could be final or not but my prediction ED is final. Hope you're right and we get the new Era 2020.

Funny how 'base building' seems to have crept in through that leak. Would never of backed if they had said base building was ever planned as I'm not remotely interested in it; where's my gas giants and volcanic worlds.
I'm really angry about it, it's a 180 degree reversal and obvious cash grab from a desperate franchise.

Conceptually, I don't see how it would diminish the game and a substantial number of players have been asking for it for a while. One of my main gripes is how impersonal Elite feels, and how little investment we have beyond our ships and our indirect interactions with the BGS. The ability to set down roots somewhere would certainly add an extra dimension to exploration - each new system being somewhere to potentially call home. It might be interesting if bases provided rudimentary services too, as an aid for long-term exploration trips. Personally, I'm still doubtful about that part of the leak though, unless it was confined to Solo. It seems problematic to me to allow unfettered player generated content in Open (popular systems like Shinrarta would quickly resemble shanty towns... what would the performance implications be?). Unless base-building locations were finite and had to be claimed by players... that wouldn't be pretty :LOL:. In principle though, I wouldn't be against base-building. But yes, priority-wise better planets would be great and as a VR player the ability to leave my damn seat is no.1 for me.

Its not down to poor impulse control i can assure you. I paid £200 or so to be part of the original Alpha and loved it. So naturally when the offer for the LEP offer came up I thought it would be a good way of continuing my support. However how its been handled so far is a bit crap TBH and I'm liking it to backing a derailed Kickstarter project.

When the LEP offer came up I thought it would be a good way of continuing my support by not buying it and paying full price for each DLC.
I always figured that everyone who brought it was short changing FD and reducing their overall income. Of course that was around the time of the fabled 10 years of updates

More like 'lazy developers go for low hanging fruit in minimum viable product shocker'
Lol, which part of their financial report seemed desperate to you? More accurately put: gamer gets upset about rumour successful development company might develop popular feature for game.

More like 'lazy developers go for low hanging fruit in minimum viable product shocker' but I know you will defend them no matter what so enjoy being maintained.

More like 'lazy developers go for low hanging fruit in minimum viable product shocker' but I know you will defend them no matter what so enjoy being maintained.

Ah, so they were desperate first, but when that is questioned you just go for another random insult: 'lazy'. I am not 'defending FD', I am just pointing out you are just yelling random insults because you heard a rumor FD might add a feature you don't personally care for to a game you describe as 'minimum viable product' yet are clearly emotionally invested in.

The simple fact is that these lazy and desperate devs turned a small company into a financially very successful multi-IP studio. And that is true even if 'Wolf Starslayer' doesn't like base building in computer games. :)

Im curious have you asked Frontier for a refund and if yes what was their reply?

You have asked this a few times before & I have replied each time. I went to the gamescom party in Cologne (August 2018) to discuss it with them in person (primarily to get an update, a refund was discussed just as here). They were extremely conciliatory & apologetic, and a few days later Zac's 'snowflake' post went up. Nothing else since, and I went to Cologne because there had been no response before. It was a good party & I enjoyed the drive too ;)

I just want to know what's going on. FDev are apparently unwilling to extend this courtesy any more so as far as I'm concerned the next viable option is for them to offer to return the money for those not happy to proceed since the plan changed after purchase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom