Linux Port

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Linux Port. (Confirmed not going to happen)

I'd be really upset if this game didn't have one. Miss out on a great game, I would.

Last edited:
SteamOS did a bit of a dive lately, the latest version performance worse then Windows 10.

Not big performance, just a few frames below. Plus, Steam Machines are aiming at the console market, and SteamOS is not intended to replace standard desktops. Ubuntu family, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Arch, Gentoo, Debian, Elemental, and others are for desktop usage. I've actually tried SteamOS and didn't really like it, mainly because outside big picture mode it used Gnome 2, and I've never liked Gnome.

Last edited:
Not big performance, just a few frames below. Plus, Steam Machines are aiming at the console market, and SteamOS is not intended to replace standard desktops. Ubuntu family, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Arch, Gentoo, Debian, Elemental, and others are for desktop usage. I've actually tried SteamOS and didn't really like it, mainly because outside big picture mode it used Gnome 2, and I've never liked Gnome.

A game having 5 frames per second less is a world of difference may i say. And the Steam machines will remain to be seen as a desktop rather then a console. I know that Valve is marketing it kind of as a console but if we look at the statistics it is that console games prefer the console for the ease of use, exclusive titles and, importantly, its price.
Where the XB1 and PS4 are at 300-400 dollars, a decent Steam Machine costs 800 or more dollars unless you are going for a 500$ machine which is more expensive and performs less then a XB1/PS4.

On the topic of a Linux port, i of course say yes. The more platforms the jollier.

Ha, less performance than the Xbox One or PS4? Naaaah.
Expensive? A few days ago one supplier was selling their Steambox for $300.

Want a PC, build a PC, and install Arch Linux, or Ubuntu if you're a noob. [hehe]
Want a console, buy a Steam machine.
Want both, buy a Steam Link.

Stay far away from [money] [money] Windows [money] [money].

Harbinger

Volunteer Moderator
I think this will depend heavily on whether or not Elite: Dangerous gets Linux support as their engine (Cobra) doesn't currently support it. I expect Frontier are currently at a crossroads as to what platform to port Elite: Dangerous to next once they get Horizons working on Mac/Xbox One. On the one hand they have Linux, on the other PS4 and one of them has a much higher potential for return versus the investment of time & money required to upgrade their engine.

Of course the full release of Planet Coaster is not going to happen for another 10-12 months and a lot can happen in that timeframe. Frontier did release 2 separate ports of Elite: Dangerous in 2015 after all. It's entirely possible that they may have done the engine upgrade legwork required by then.

Even if they do the legwork by default with Elite: Dangerous you're probably looking at several months after the Windows release for a port of Planet Coaster.

Last edited:
Apple & Linux fanboys always made me laugh.

Windows is the most used, the most user-friendly, the one that is better optimized for gaming.
Linux is free, open-source, much more stable. It is an open system, which allows you to "tinker" more easily

Why would you stay away from Windows if you are a gamer ? It's just insane, and as stupid as saying "Linux sucks".

Ha, less performance than the Xbox One or PS4? Naaaah.
Expensive? A few days ago one supplier was selling their Steambox for $300.

Want a PC, build a PC, and install Arch Linux, or Ubuntu if you're a noob. [hehe]
Want a console, buy a Steam machine.
Want both, buy a Steam Link.

Oh don't tell me you are one of those hardcore Linux fanboys..

Oh don't tell me you are one of those hardcore Linux fanboys..
No I just hate Microsoft. It's why I use Linux, and I've grown to love it. If I didn't hate Microsoft I'd not care about a Linux port, just use WINE, but since I do hate Microsoft, I will refuse to buy any computer service that doesn't work native on Linux. [squeeeeee]

edit: It doesn't have to be this way. If Microsoft wasn't so monopolistic, and didn't try to limit all software to their platform, than I'd have no issues with using a Microsoft operating system, in fact, I'd encourage people do so. But as it stands, I cannot endorse Microsoft, and buying this game, without a Linux port, will go against my capitalist beliefs that the consumer's best interests should be put first.

edit 2: In fact, an announcement of a Linux port would allow me to purchase the Coaster Club pass for the game. I like supporting companies who I like. [wink]

Last edited:
Im a simple guy, windows is simple.
Me + windows = happy fun times.
If windows is SO BAD,
why are they doing better then Linux?
I dont hate Linux, I dont love everything microsoft does, (*cough* xbox one *cough*)
but i like windows.
Good?
good.
operating_systems_april_2011.jpg

[noob][noob]

Last edited:
Im a simple guy, windows is simple.
Me + windows = happy fun times.
If windows is SO BAD,
why are they doing better then Linux?
I dont hate Linux, I dont love everything microsoft does, (*cough* xbox one *cough*)
but i like windows.
Good?
good.
http://www.techspot.com/fileshost/newspics3/2011/operating_systems_april_2011.jpg
[noob][noob]

It's simple, anti-consumer business practices. People can like Windows because they prefer it as an OS, that's the free market, but what isn't fair is Microsoft forcing people to use their operating system, because they intentionally make it difficult to support their competitor operating systems. To the victor go the spoils.

Vulcan should be a game changer, move game designers away from DirectX.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom