List of Earth-like worlds, v3

I noticed an error while making the update: @Steyla , the screenshot for Ooscs Freau ZY-S d3-9468 shows a water world, not the ELW in the system. Could you make a new one?

Sorry about that.

Here we go

EDVxYf7.png

Nothing particularly noteworthy this time, except for maybe DRYOEA BLAO ES-A D1-5754 3, whose atmosphere has an unusually (I think) high oxygen content; 43,4%.

I imagine there could be houseflies the size of eagles on this planet... or spiders the size of elephants :oops:.

Not really. To get higher levels of oxygen available for lifeforms to absorb, it's not the total percentage of oxygen that's critical; it's the partial pressure. While the atmosphere of this planet does indeed have a proportionally high amount of oxygen (43.4%), the total atmospheric pressure is less than half of present day Earth (0.47 atmospheres). 43.4% of 0.47 equals a partial pressure equivalent to 20.4% of an Earth-normal atmosphere - so there's actually even less oxygen available on this planet than there is on present-day Earth. Still easily human-breathable, but the giant aircraft-sized dragonflies of the Carboniferous would quickly suffocate due to lack of oxygen. And that low total pressure would also mean the poor things wouldn't be able to take off and fly - the air wouldn't be thick enough to support them.

A planet with abundant life and a Carboniferous-age level of oxygen in the atmosphere (partial pressure equivalent estimated at around 35%, or one-and-two-thirds higher than current oxygen levels) would not be classified as "Earth-like" by ED - there's simply too much oxygen. Humans start to suffer from oxygen poisoning at levels above 28%. Instead, such worlds would be classified as Water Worlds. I have seen terraformable Water Worlds where the only barrier to habitability is the fact that the planet has too much oxygen.

And yes, this does mean that for the vast majority of Earth's history, Earth itself would not have been classified as "Earth-like" by the Stellar Forge.

And now, for a little list of my own, the results of ED7K Sector 3 (Croomaa Sector) - plus one ring-in found while flying from the Bubble to the Upper Core. As usual, posting the list, then some tourist notes and additional pics to follow.
System namePlanet IDDist. from Sol (ly)First discovered byContributed bySystem star(s) typeRinged EL?MoonsScreenshot URLNotesXYZ
Eok Flyuae TY-Y d1-336BC 317128.29525SAPYXF5 VI, K2 VAB, L1 VFALSE0https://i.imgur.com/7NYqYkI.png-1714.96875-246.7187517040.4375
Croomaa JG-O d6-1061125152.18907SAPYXG7 VABFALSE1https://i.imgur.com/KIwfHun.png-273.968751569.8437525101.65625
Croomaa CX-A d1-115624780.81779SAPYXA9 VBFALSE1https://i.imgur.com/XSs3JJg.png-1325.31252381.37524630.5
Croomaa FW-D d12-188A 825659.797SAPYXA9 VI, K5 VAFALSE0https://i.imgur.com/kEng5wr.png-257.43751629.37525606.71875
Croomaa UD-S d4-1134525035.91346SAPYXA8 VIFALSE0https://i.imgur.com/5lxiog6.pngHigh argon atmosphere (10.9%)-529.93751720.187524971.125
Croomaa ZF-L d9-33925517.83783SAPYXF8 VABFALSE0https://i.imgur.com/F8ggpuf.png-68.252482.0312525396.75
Croomaa TS-S d4-277425025.08279SAPYXF8 VBFALSE0https://i.imgur.com/Kv86CY4.png-106.843751904.062524952.3125
Croomaa CH-M d7-2734725312.52728SAPYXF9 VBFALSE0https://i.imgur.com/833BGsl.png-1321.031251487.12525234.25
Croomaa TY-R c20-15225574.85536SAPYXG8 VABFALSE1https://i.imgur.com/Y1BWy8j.pngELW has a landable moon-1058.18752281.062525450.9375
Croomaa OM-V d2-1673324860.32041SAPYXG5 VABFALSE0https://i.imgur.com/AJHClur.png-486.781251589.8437524804.65625
Croomaa OJ-I d9-670A 525406.03092SAPYXK0 VAB, M0 VA, L2 VFALSE1https://i.imgur.com/idTGTZ9.pngELW has a landable moon-1334.031251269.7812525339.1875
Croomaa QS-M c22-14125629.9778SAPYXK4 VABFALSE1https://i.imgur.com/ngzDzod.pngELW has a landable moon-1180.906251902.1562525532

Last edited:
And now, those promised tourism notes:

Enroute from Eagle Sector to Croomaa...

Eok Flyuae
- The greatest barrier to comfort and happiness on this small, hot Group 1 desert planet is the 75 degree axial tilt. The year-length is nearly 2 Earth-years long, so I suspect any colonies would have to be temporary, and migratory.

Croomaa Sector worlds...

JG-O
- This planet orbits a G-class star, and is "out of sequence" compared with the ED7K survey results because I stumbled upon it while making a refuelling stop doing the B/L class survey. It's a typical Group 2 world, perhaps with a "desert island" climate; perfect Earth-gravity match but with a stifling super-thick atmosphere.

CX-A - I happened to encounter this Group 3 (large) hot jungle planet during a Spring/autumn equinox - it was rolling along sideways in it's orbit, with the near-90-degree axial tilt pointing the poles in the direction of motion. At other times in its 5.6 Earth-year-long year, it's a much less hospitable place.

FW-D - A Group 2 world with conditions that are actually quite close to Earth - slightly cooler, slightly thicker atmosphere, nice match for day-length. It's also just one of the life-bearing worlds int his system; if you look closely, there are four other Waterworlds in the system (planets A7, B1, B3 and B5), with the first two of those being terrafromable. With two other terraformable worlds in the system, I would heartily recommend adopting this system as the sector capital.

UD-S - Here we have one of those rather rare varieties of Earth-like: it is Ungrouped (what I call Group 0, or "Outlier"); only about 1% of ELWs cannot fit into any of the three Groups, and this is one of them. A planet with gravity this high would ordinarily be a Group 3 world, but it's cold - and sometimes colder planets have high argon levels, like this one does. The additional 10% argon in the atmosphere has bumped the overall atmospheric pressure up to near-perfect Earth-match, far higher than a Group 3 world usually goes. Environmentally, I would classify it as "tundra".

ZF-L - The first of three from the F-class survey, this world has a two-and-a-half-months-long day, due to being tidally locked to a distant Water World companion; the Water World is terraformable but would suffer from the same tidal-locking problem. Being Group 1, it is small, with a cool and humid environment. If they colonized this planet and you were stuck in orbit due to fog over the spaceport, you might have to wait a few months before the fog clears.

TS-S - Another hot, desert planet, which the current graphical depiction belies, as it looks cool and green down there. It's actually quite a nice planet, apart from the heat. Another lower-end Group 2 world, so the gravity is nice and the air not too super-thick.

CH-M - Another planet down at the lighter end of the Group 3 spectrum, so the planet is heavy but conditions aren't too far from Earth-like. Pleasantly cool, but rather humid; I'd classify the environment as "temperate rainforest".

TY-R
- Another Group 2 world, this one surprisingly chilly. The 12-hour-long day only adds to the uncomfortability.

OM-V - And here's another world that's surprisingly habitable - if it weren't for the heat, it would be highly recommendable. As it is, it's a bit too hot and dry. Group 1.

OJ-I - Some other worlds in this batch I've called "hot". This planet is whatever-the-word-is-that's-beyond-hot. A planet in position 5 around a K-class star should not normally get this hot, but those other two suns in the sky probably have something to do with that. At 319 K, it's just about as hot as you can get and still be officially classified as "Earth-like" and that thick insulating atmosphere probably keeps it at 319 K all day and all night, every day, even at the poles. Calling it "desert planet" doesn't do it justice; I don't think there is a suitable Earth-analogue desert environment to compare this world with. The Dead Sea valley is as close as we get. It's a typical Group 2 planet otherwise.

QS-M - Another large, chilly Group 3 world. The larger-than-normal axial tilt would mean summers would probably be quite pleasant, but stay indoors during the sub-Antarctic winter.

For additional pics, I will be posting them in the ED7k Project thread tomorrow.

@marx : I have also visited most of the other ELWs that are on the List in the Croomaa sector (most of which are Cmdr Clennan's finds from an old neutron farming mission), so if you need replacement/updated system map screenshots of any of them, let me know.

@marx : I have also visited most of the other ELWs that are on the List in the Croomaa sector (most of which are Cmdr Clennan's finds from an old neutron farming mission), so if you need replacement/updated system map screenshots of any of them, let me know.
I imagine you have better screenshots than the old ones, so in such cases, sure, please do.

Scary sentence! :(
To explain a bit better: it's obvious that the submissions here haven't been many for quite a while, then activity is slowly decreasing both here on the subforum and in-game. So, not a lot of reason to update this monthly - especially since the only thing that's missing from the log files these days that's present in the screenshots here is the first discoverer's name, if it was someone else.
I still keep the list open though because it's not a lot of work to do. Once the expansion announcement is out, we should at least have some idea of how much exploration-related content we might be getting, and then I'll revisit this again.

Hello folks.
I apologize for not following the preferred protocol, but I tried downloading EDJP and couldn't figure it out - I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to computers.
I would like to offer Medea - merely my name for it lol; I was just reading a Harlan novel. :)
She is beautiful:
82F80E4A7CF70D7497E44586D01429EE49D31C0D

Map shows no prior contact; this ELW is undiscovered - until now.

SYSTEM: PHAE AIHM IX-B D13-3
Planetary position: 3, no moon.
Map image:
F67AFDE6EB94B0ACF590BDE2FE4C3B892120BC60

Visual position in galaxy:
9D9423D5537213EA577078A2B62738B9C0CB641E

I hope that's sufficient info; I'm sorry I couldn't get that EJwhatever thing working.
Smiles - it's just so exciting to find. :)
Cheers!

I hope that's sufficient info; I'm sorry I couldn't get that EJwhatever thing working.
Welcome! Sure, the system map showing the ELW is there, so that's enough. I'll need the distance to Sol though, but if you can't upload your find(s) to EDSM, then I'll just check it the next time I'm at Sol. (In Elite, that is.) That ought to be relatively soon anyway.

Deleted member 38366

D
To explain a bit better: it's obvious that the submissions here haven't been many for quite a while, then activity is slowly decreasing both here on the subforum and in-game. So, not a lot of reason to update this monthly - especially since the only thing that's missing from the log files these days that's present in the screenshots here is the first discoverer's name, if it was someone else.
I still keep the list open though because it's not a lot of work to do. Once the expansion announcement is out, we should at least have some idea of how much exploration-related content we might be getting, and then I'll revisit this again.

Scary sentence! :(

I'll say.

@marx , not sure if I'm alone with that - but your ELW list is currently amongst the very few remaining things that still keep me playing the Game and go Exploring.
So please keep up the good work :)

(got 12 new ELWs in the pipe so far and hoping for more, longer trip though)

Welcome! Sure, the system map showing the ELW is there, so that's enough. I'll need the distance to Sol though, but if you can't upload your find(s) to EDSM, then I'll just check it the next time I'm at Sol. (In Elite, that is.) That ought to be relatively soon anyway.
OK - it SHOULD be in EDDiscovery; I'm starting to figure that thing out. Let me look and I'll get back to you. :)
And one time this weekend I'll sit down with EDSM and try to figure it out as well, lol. :) )

OK - it SHOULD be in EDDiscovery; I'm starting to figure that thing out. Let me look and I'll get back to you. :)
And one time this weekend I'll sit down with EDSM and try to figure it out as well, lol. :) )

If you're already using EDD then EDSM just requires you to sign up and get an API key then EDD will do the rest.

Great, thanks. Just one question...what's an API key?
(Yes, I'm THAT computer illiterate. :D )

It's a secret that, in theory, only you and the target (in this case EDSM) know, so a kind of generated password. The link has pictures to show you how to get one from EDSM.

Top Bottom