General List of QoL changes that I would love to see

Hi,

I know that these threads have been around and I will probably not say anything new or mindblowing here but still, there are things that I think would improve the general QoL while playing E : D .
1) Make it possible to buy materials for credits as well as sell them.
Reasons
:
- I understand the game is about grinding but why do we have to grind credits and 3 different types of materials? Especially the data materials are boring as hell to collect by scaning ships and wakes. The rate at which the materials could be bought could be set in such a way that buying them for credits could be quite prohibitive so that there would still be some reason to collect the materials the "old" way but what does it matter if I spend hours mining/bounty hunting/tradingor similar amout of time collecting stuff with limpets and scanning stuff?

- If it was possible to sell materials, it would open up ways for "scavenger" type of gameplay where you could collect the materials from Signal Sources and sell them for profit.

2) Some balance pass on engineering
Reasons
:
- some blueprints are downright pointless, some are no-brainers. When was the last time you needed more than those 10000 shots in your PD and you thought to yourself "if only I had 5000 more"? It would be nice to come up with blueprint options for modules that would make sense for each of them. (I think there already are threads with such ideas but even if not, I'm sure the community would come up with something cool, yet not too strong.

3) Some balance pass on ship modules
Reasons
:
- Some modules kind of feel like they're there just to be there - ship sensors have very little impact and so there is no reason to put on ship anything better than D grade...or at least I've never felt like a higher-grade sensor module would be useful in any situation. Same for Life support. So coming up with some ideas on how to make these more impactful would be good. Maybe higher grade sensors could asist with aiming/tracking/reduce jitter on gimballed/turreted weapons? A-grades even reducing the effect of chaffs? In turn, ECM module could gain extra ability to counter the sensors...something like that...Higher level life support modules could provide some benefits to synthesis? I don't know, just something to make the higher grades of these modules more appealing.
As mentioned later in the comments, this is also something to think about: Balance, and Ship Computers, and Limpets

4) Get rid of the randomized material amounts for engineering
Reasons
:
- It is a remnant of the original engineering process where you would get random results for each attempt. That has been revorked since so the "lottery" is no longer needed. Just make it a fixed number of materials for each level of the modification so that we know how many of what we should bring with to get to the level we want.

5) Make engineer modifications available from stations (once engineer's services are unlocked)
So in praxis - you learn about an engineer, do their mission/task, fly there to unlock their services and from that point, all the modifications that this engineer provides would be accessible from stations, including experimentals. It could be so that the services would be available only in some stations (similar to how only some stations have material traders). Perhaps this engineering "at distance" could be more expensive or something to compensate.
Reasons:
- It's enough that you need to discover the engineers and then complete their missions for them, travelling there every time you want to slap some experimental effect on something is just tedious.

6) Make some improvements to a few ships
Reasons
:
- Some ships have been a running joke for ages coughAsp Scoutcough while others are pretty much at the top 5 spots of most "best ships in ED" lists. Not asking for making the top ships useless but to look at all ships and make the underdogs a bit better to make them more appealing.

7) Take a look at AX weaponry
Reasons
:
- I understand that the Guardian technology is the stuff to fight the Thargoids, but has humanity made no progress on their own AX technology? Why is there no gimballed AX multicannon? Why are there no seeker AX missile racks? Why is there no engineer who focuses on upgrading these weapons? It could be made so that the gimballed/seekers would only be able to lock on target if the ship is also equipped with the AX scanner and the Thargoid is scanned so these versions of weapon would require using a utility slot for them to work (possibly Thargoids could have some counter-measure to make you lose the lock and prevent it for some time...). Engineering could be limited to 3 levels intead of the typical 5 because it is still experimental technology. It would also help to keep the AX weapon below the Guardian level.

8) Take a look at some of the normal weaponry
Reasons
:
- Some weapons are almost never used. E.g. the Remote Release Flechette Launcher is so weird to use...it feels as if it was added to counter the shield-stacking meta but it was implemented in such a hard-to-use way that almost nobody bothers to use them. Enzyme missiles are in a similar "never seen used" position...if we consider that they need to be unlocked at a technology broker, one would expect they will be rather powerful but they rarely are.

There would also be points such as "find some way to make squadrons/powerplay more worthwhile" but those would probably require a lot more changes and work than these.

I know the team is working on Odyssey and Horizons are secondary now but maybe if the post gets enough traction, some of these things could happen (hope dies last :) )

Last edited:
I agree Op these things you've mentioned as well as others, do need a rebalanced.
But the game lacks content.
The grind aside, the guts of the game revolve around exploring, fighting, and hauling.
There needs to be more.
Far more.
Addressing content is what's needed.
Fix smuggling
Fix piracy
Fix multiplay
Implement hulk scavenging.
A grappling hook
Voice comms per system that works soon as u enter and someone else is there. (Togglable)
Capital ship missions fixed.
New explorer missions
A stun gun for on foot missions.
More non violent or more legal missions on foot.
Damn hard npcs for those of us who want a challenge.
New ships
New srvs
Base building
Ship boarding
Ship interiors
Newly designed bases with differing architecture.
A snipers rifle (kinetic)
Caves
Thargoids on foot czs.
List is endless

I agree Op these things you've mentioned as well as others, do need a rebalanced.
The grind aside, the guts of the game revolve around exploring, fighting, and hauling.
Well, yes but the game sort of aims for the "make your own adventure" from the start. I didn't want to drift away from that because I think FDev will never do that. I wanted to ask for changes that would be in line with the general way the game has been going. Therefore I didn't ask e.g. for getting rid of the grind but to give us options in which way we wish to do the grind - e.g. combat if you're into it, get credits from there and use them to buy the materials for ship upgrades rather that combat for credits (+ collecting mats from destroyed ships), then grinding materials from asteroids/planet surfaces and on top of that also scanning ships and wakes. So there would be option to keep the current loops or choose which loops you wanna run.

The rebalancing is mostly "just" stats changes - in terms of ships would most likely be some values around maneuverability or adding some internal slot spaces, which I guess is a question of few minutes. Etc.

I have to say that I also wanted to add the "fix smuggling" and "fix multiplay" to the list but I think that the smuggling system would require an extensive overhaul so I left it out.

Some bigger changes and overhauls would be nice too but every big change tends to cause bugs and problems that then get fixed for weeks and months so I would rather start with smaller things that would still in my opinion improve the game and move to bigger things later on.

You forgot limpets and an accurate-as-possible supercruise timer.

It would be nice if modules were weighted against leaving the slot empty, instead against filling EVERYTHING with reinforcement. How? Only count the biggest module and hull reinforcement modules (1 each) and the first two shield boosters. Then adjust damage across the board to keep TTK about the same. Player choice should count? Absolutely- choose between heavy duty and resistance engineering.

Build limpet control in, and have a SINGLE set of grades for limpet improvement modules- flingers to throw repair/hatchbreaker limpets faster, polarizer to make mining/combat limpets damage-resistant. Repair module to reuse limpets. Etc. So ANYONE with a cargo rack could use limpets, but modules still handy.

Just build in the assist modules and default them to off?

Oh yes, the limpets. There were topics about that too. It is very annoying when you jump to a signal source, wanting to help a ship but discover that it needs a limpet type you don't have and in general some limpets are pretty much always useful (collectors) while others are extremely situational (refuel/recons...).

I remember someone suggesting a system where you would only buy a "limpet computer" module for your ship and this module would have "slots" same as SRV bay. You could assign to these slots specific "programs" that would allow programing the limpets for different purposes. The higher the grade of the module, the more program slots it would provide along with longer limpet lifetime and range. This system would be pretty nice.

Yeah, the limpet computer thread happens pretty frequently.

The largest problem with any real changes is balance. People weigh nearly anything against putting hull reinforcement modules in that slot, for combat ships.

For PVP, this means that attempting actual piracy is at a disadvantage versus murder-hobo tactics. Plus you can't stop someone effectively anyway, in a physics sense or applied damage scenario. Kind of a tangent there though.

Main thing is- as long as the default fill is hull reinforcements, things are the way they are. If the entire balance baseline is changed, then the rest can change without skewing the balance irreparably. Say, if people weighted modules against leaving the slot entirely empty to save weight. THEN, and only then, ships can have limpet and ship computer stuff built in, they could use slots on things that aren't very important, and would never be chosen over sheer hull HP.

Main thing is- as long as the default fill is hull reinforcements, things are the way they are. If the entire balance baseline is changed, then the rest can change without skewing the balance irreparably. Say, if people weighted modules against leaving the slot entirely empty to save weight. THEN, and only then, ships can have limpet and ship computer stuff built in, they could use slots on things that aren't very important, and would never be chosen over sheer hull HP.
OK, then some modules could be made impossible to stack on ships - it would prevent e.g. stacking shields ridiculously high as well as stacking hull reinforcements. Or they could get diminishing effects when stacked. 2 hull reinforcements = each provides 80% of its strength, 6 reinforcements = each provides 60% etc.

Or if piracy is the main issue then maybe think of something in general that would allow for better pirate playstyle. I never tried the piracy playstyle but I presume that in its core it is more about stealing caro than fighting. If so, then maybe the point from my list "Balance pass on engineering" could help, especially the part where modules get mods that are useful rather than generic stuff that is pretty much pointless - (hatchbreaker) limpets could get a mod that would make them more resistant to PD fire (possibly 20% per level so completely imune at lvl5) - this way you wouldn't need to stop the ship to give you some loot, as long as you attach one limpet before they wake away, you would get something.
This is just something that came to my mind now and it would probably have some downsides too but Dragsham in his post also had "Fix piracy" on his list so I presume it is nothing new and some good ideas have been tossed around in threads already.

Good news! 5 already exists (except for the experimental part).
Not really. You can pin one blueprint per engineer and this blueprint can be applied from anywhere. The point number 5 says "all the modifications that this engineer provides would be accessible from stations" + the experimentals. So if an engineer provides engine mods and you pin "dirty drive" and you would need "clean drive" for one of your ships, you wouldn't need to fly to the engineer to pin a new mod to upgrade it to the max and then fly there again once you need the dirty drives again.

OK, then some modules could be made impossible to stack on ships - it would prevent e.g. stacking shields ridiculously high as well as stacking hull reinforcements. Or they could get diminishing effects when stacked. 2 hull reinforcements = each provides 80% of its strength, 6 reinforcements = each provides 60% etc.

Or if piracy is the main issue then maybe think of something in general that would allow for better pirate playstyle. I never tried the piracy playstyle but I presume that in its core it is more about stealing caro than fighting. If so, then maybe the point from my list "Balance pass on engineering" could help, especially the part where modules get mods that are useful rather than generic stuff that is pretty much pointless - (hatchbreaker) limpets could get a mod that would make them more resistant to PD fire (possibly 20% per level so completely imune at lvl5) - this way you wouldn't need to stop the ship to give you some loot, as long as you attach one limpet before they wake away, you would get something.
This is just something that came to my mind now and it would probably have some downsides too but Dragsham in his post also had "Fix piracy" on his list so I presume it is nothing new and some good ideas have been tossed around in threads already.

Not really. You can pin one blueprint per engineer and this blueprint can be applied from anywhere. The point number 5 says "all the modifications that this engineer provides would be accessible from stations" + the experimentals. So if an engineer provides engine mods and you pin "dirty drive" and you would need "clean drive" for one of your ships, you wouldn't need to fly to the engineer to pin a new mod to upgrade it to the max and then fly there again once you need the dirty drives again.

I could re-type all that, but why. People keep talking about realism, but a Vulture can have more tonnage than an Anaconda hull. Anaconda hull is 400 tons. This Vulture is 436 tons with modules: https://s.orbis.zone/f_2r

That's a vulture with 3000 integrity and high resists, and I wasn't even trying very hard. Engineering plus stacked reinforcements (shield/hull mostly) is just broken for balance purposes.

I could re-type all that, but why. People keep talking about realism, but a Vulture can have more tonnage than an Anaconda hull. Anaconda hull is 400 tons. This Vulture is 436 tons with modules: https://s.orbis.zone/f_2r

That's a vulture with 3000 integrity and high resists, and I wasn't even trying very hard. Engineering plus stacked reinforcements (shield/hull mostly) is just broken for balance purposes.
I just read that post and I agree. I added a link to my first post for reference. And yes, it is really crazy that you can make a medium ship sturdier and have more tonnage than large ships. It is also adds to the diminishing the value of large ships because it takes away from the large ships of the main advantages they should have over smaller ships.

The weapon and upgrade system in the game are kind of boring to begin with. Things are made bland by a demand/requirement for balance but they're not even balanced apparently. if hull re-enforcements are as broken as you're indicating then the only sensible thing to do would be to massively nerf them or rework hull-reinforcement altogether.

It's probably too late for that and any attempt to change the system's will step on toes.

The weapon and upgrade system in the game are kind of boring to begin with. Things are made bland by a demand/requirement for balance but they're not even balanced apparently. if hull re-enforcements are as broken as you're indicating then the only sensible thing to do would be to massively nerf them or rework hull-reinforcement altogether.

It's probably too late for that and any attempt to change the system's will step on toes.
Some nerf to hull reinforcement and shield stacking would be good.
This Yamik's video explains the problem with shield stacking here:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3InBP52DJMk

The video is about 3 years old and still not much has changed.

If you have more time to watch, he also goes more in depth of engineering problems and possible solutions in this video:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsnBg0Utf5k

I agree with pretty much all his points. Especially when he says that nerfing the shielding will most likely lead to a lot of crying from people who have ships focused on the stacking but in the end it would lead to a more enjoyable gameplay.

I mean I'd go further and largely absorb most of the bonus's from engineers into part/module variants that are tied to specific manufacturers rambles on about some pipe dream.

Yamik's solution is likely more realistic for the game as it currently exists, though I'm not sure the engineering upgrade system is really worth saving, but if it must at least make it so I don't have to go land on some remote planet after an extended fetch quest just so I can do trade routes at a reasonable speed or pace.

There are many cool ideas that people have brought up on this forum but some of them would require an overhaul of some game mechanics or even entire system of mechanics which is, I think, something that devs are not going to do. That's why I tried to stick with suggestions that would tweak the current mechanics into more fun/less tedious as that might be easier to implement and more acceptable for the devs.

There needs to be more.
Far more.
Addressing content is what's needed.
Fix smuggling
Fix piracy
Fix multiplay
Implement hulk scavenging.
A grappling hook
Voice comms per system that works soon as u enter and someone else is there. (Togglable)
Capital ship missions fixed.
New explorer missions
A stun gun for on foot missions.
More non violent or more legal missions on foot.
Damn hard npcs for those of us who want a challenge.
New ships
New srvs
Base building
Ship boarding
Ship interiors
Newly designed bases with differing architecture.
A snipers rifle (kinetic)
Caves
Thargoids on foot czs.
List is endless
"Stick With The Prod,
Prod With The Prod,
Just in case though, We're Police"

-Paul Denton, 2052

tell me does Odyssey still have that birdbrained "weaknesses" and absurdly long TTK? also is damage based more on absurd upgrade trees that make no logical sense in the game world (why wouldn't they just make the weapons already "upgraded" by default? why would anyone use anything but plasma if personal shields are so common that even lowly pirates seem to have them?)

tell me does Odyssey still have that birdbrained "weaknesses" and absurdly long TTK? also is damage based more on absurd upgrade trees that make no logical sense in the game world (why wouldn't they just make the weapons already "upgraded" by default? why would anyone use anything but plasma if personal shields are so common that even lowly pirates seem to have them?)
I don't wanna sound like I'm fan-girling Yamiks but related to the topic of TTK and the whole gun play of Odyssey...
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_HTLl1rTqw&t=1062s

Some nerf to hull reinforcement and shield stacking would be good.
This Yamik's video explains the problem with shield stacking here:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3InBP52DJMk

The video is about 3 years old and still not much has changed.

If you have more time to watch, he also goes more in depth of engineering problems and possible solutions in this video:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsnBg0Utf5k

I agree with pretty much all his points. Especially when he says that nerfing the shielding will most likely lead to a lot of crying from people who have ships focused on the stacking but in the end it would lead to a more enjoyable gameplay.
Devs tried that by implementing a hardcap for boosters' shield boost percentage (2017) .
1628524097414.png

And then there was an outrage:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...p-armour-changes-feedback-thread-pt-3.340389/

And then they abandoned this idea completely. Because people didn't like it at all.
fdev didn't have enough jingle bells to make a decision that offered an overall better solution compared to what we have now. people cried and Fdev got scared, end of story

Last edited:
I have to say that I also wanted to add the "fix smuggling" and "fix multiplay" to the list but I think that the smuggling system would require an extensive overhaul so I left it out.
Doesn't mean you can't and shouldn't suggest re-addressing these issues. The game as a whole needs a serious overhaul right now, and being silent about that won't help.

fdev didn't have enough jingle bells to make a decision that offered an overall better solution compared to what we have now. people cried and Fdev got scared, end of story
Well, yeah, that's what was said in pretty much every video that tries to offer some solutions for improving the game - FDev would need to take a stance for their decision and not back off once people start crying. Even in the thread you posted where devs say they will roll back the changes, you can see people being disappointed about it and comments such as "I wonder how the MJ shield stacking will be solved then" showed up quite often.
Another thing is that many people don't go to forums to argue with others. It is not a fault of the Devs that people don't express their opinion but from my own experience from other game forums, the loudest and most crying ones are usually those who abuse some thing in the game and don't want changes that prevent the abuses. Youtubers such as Down to Earth Astronomy, Obsidian Ant, Yamiks and others made videos about what parts of the game are problematic or downright broken or what could be changed to improve the game and these videos each had easily at least 1 000 likes, usually much more, so I would say that support for these changes is out there. But ofcourse likes under some video are not definitive proof of anything either.

Doesn't mean you can't and shouldn't suggest re-addressing these issues. The game as a whole needs a serious overhaul right now, and being silent about that won't help.
I also have ideas about how to improve crime/smugglimg system, how to improve Powerplay, how to make Squadrons more worthwhile and impactful, how to make some new role-play styles etc. but I wanted see if some small-scale changes have any chance to get through or even get any traction among the players. If even smaller changes like those in the first post have no chance to get implemented, what would be the point to ask for even bigger scale ones?

Top Bottom