Locomotives and Rolling Stock of the Parlusiana Lumber Company

Some of you may have seen my two trolley’s that were inspired by Fisherman’s Rose Lake Park trolley and that is where the real story (as opposed to the made up one I am about to tell!) of the Parlusiana Lumber Company begins.

As a nod to the inspiration behind them I decided to use destinations from the Rose Lake Park story on my trolleys but as there were only a few to choose from I needed to create at least one more to add to the destination boards and so the town of Parlusiana was born (a twist on Parluza – the Planco word for Place!)

Now I had added this fictional town to my trolleys I began thinking about what kind of town it would be, it needed to fit somewhere between the reasonably remote Rose Lake Park at the end of the trolley line and the built up Peepsburgh at the other but also needed to be a big enough place to warrant trolley stops (and it’s name on the destination boards!) so I came up with a Port Town further down the Rose River towards Peepsburgh (if I have followed the geography of the Plancovania Region correctly!) that grew because of the lumber camp up at Frontier Peak and the need to transport logs out towards the larger towns.

And lo, the Town of Parlusiana and it’s Lumber Company was born!

I am currently building a full park map of the town around the 1930s (Why not a specific date? Hopefully to hide any historical inaccuracies with my vagueness…) which will be documented in due course, however, the finished product is months away and I was desperate to share something so as the Parlusiana Lumber Company’s railroad is pretty much complete and all the locomotives and rolling stock have been built (until I decide to add more…) I thought I could share them with you before the town is ready for visitors!

(Before we start, please note I am in no way associated with the wonderful Rose Lake Park and its creators, what you are about to read is in no way part of their official time line or the world they have created – it’s probably best to think of it as fan fiction with less gratuitous nudity!) 😉

The year is nineteen thirty something and this is a brief history of the Parlusiana Lumber Company’s railroad so far…

Parlusiana Lumber Company No. 1 & 2

1. PLC No 1.jpg

PLC No. 1 & 2 were built way back in 1867 by the Emmdee Boiler Works and were the first steam locomotives to be used by the company running on standard gauge track down on the dock to move logs around. This picture shows No.1 down by the water’s edge – the trees have certainly grown across the Rose River since this photo was taken so I would guess this photo is from the late 1800s. It must be pre-1901 as that was the year No. 1 overshot the end of the dock and ended up at the bottom of the river, it was never recovered and No. 2 continued to operate down on the dock on its own until it was replaced and sold for scrap in 1921.

Parlusiana Lumber Company No. 3, 4, 5 & 6

2. PLC No 3.jpg

PLC No. 3 & 4 were built in 1874 by the Emmdee Locomotive Works (the company had expanded operations and capabilities by 1874!) to a similar but updated vertical boiler design to No. 1 & 2. The main difference was that these locomotives would take over from the horses on the Narrow Gauge line up to Frontier Peak carrying logs down the valley to the port so they were much smaller locos. No. 3 & 4 made a dramatic impact on how much lumber could be transported down the valley and so the company quickly invested in No. 5 (1875) and No. 6 (1876) to increase capacity of the line even further. These days No. 3 & 4 can still be seen working within the port itself (No. 3 pictured collecting sawn timber from the wood shop) although it is debateable what number should really be on the locos – after the Emmdee company went under in 1905 PLC began using parts from No. 5 & 6 to keep the original two running and pieces of No. 5 & 6 can still be seen around the locomotive sheds. Since the purchase of the Shay locomotives it is unusual to see the Emmdee locos outside of the port gates anymore.

Parlusiana Lumber Company No. 7 & 8

3. PLC No 8.jpg

PLC No. 7 & 8 were built in 1898 and 1899 respectively by Shay/Lima and provided a huge amount of additional power to the locomotive fleet. Still vertical boiler but geared and articulated they could pull twice as much as the previous locomotives and were a big part of the expansion of the PLC in the early 1900s. No. 8 is pictured here climbing up towards Frontier Peak and about to cross the trestle over the Wayawano River. Until recently these locos could still be seen making the trip to the Peak, however, No. 7 is now at the back of the locomotive shed awaiting a replacement boiler having failed an inspection.

Parlusiana Lumber Company No. 9, 10, 11 & 12

4. PLC No 12.jpg

After the success of No. 7 & 8 PLC decided to continue using the powerful Shay articulated locomotives to pull loads up and down the pass. A newer version with a horizontal boiler provided just what the company was looking for when they wanted to expand operations in 1908 with No. 9 & 10 and again in 1911 with No. 11 & 12. These new Shays were capable of pulling four loaded lumber wagons and so doubled the train lengths yet again which aided the company’s rapid expansion. All four of these locos are still in operation although No. 10 is out of service for routine maintenance. This rare recoloured photo appears to show No. 23 pulling a train out through the port gates, however, there never was a No. 23 so it is believed to either be a joke or genuine mistake by the artist who recoloured the photo.

Parlusiana Lumber Company No. 14 & 15

5. PLC No 14.jpg

After the war the Parlusiana Lumber Company experienced another period of rapid expansion and decided to replace the somewhat unreliable No. 2 that was still, just about, keeping the logs moving down on the dock. Having struggled on with one locomotive for 20 years it was decided that an investment should be made in two standard gauge locos to work the docks, allowing for any issues to be rectified and routine maintenance to be carried out without risking operations. Unfortunately, due to the tight curves and limited clearances of the nearly 60-year-old track work on the dock there wasn’t a suitable Shay locomotive available so PLC turned to W&S Loco Works for a shortened 0-4-0 version of their popular 0-6-0. These two powerful saddle tanks were perfectly suited to working the docks and continue to do so today, as you can see from this recoloured photo of No. 14. At the current time No. 15 is in the loco shed for routine maintenance and No. 14 is in daily use.

Parlusiana Lumber Company No. 16, 17 & 18

6. PLC No 17.jpg

At the same time as investing in No. 14 & 15 PLC also bought another Shay to work the line to Frontier Peak. No. 16 is of the exact same design as it’s predecessors and was chosen for simplicity – if all the locos are the same then maintenance is easier and your loco crews can operate any of them without extra training or knowledge. It was for this reason that three years later in 1924 PLC invested in two more identical Shays (No. 17 & 18) to complete the current fleet of locomotives. Pictured here in this recoloured photograph is No. 17 in the pilot siding outside the gates ready to pull back and move rolling stock around the port. All three of these locomotives are still in daily operation on the line up to Frontier Peak.

So there you have it, the locomotives of the Parlusiana Lumber Company in the 1930s. They can all be found in this collection in my workshop:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2085898178

Thanks again to the Rose Lake Park team for inspiration and to all the workshop creators whose work has made its way into this project – hopefully all credited in the workshop blueprints!

Next up we’ll have a look at the rolling stock of the PLC, hopefully in a lot less detail than this! 😉

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Matt

Thanks Citytrader!

It's been a lot of fun piecing this together and looking forward to sharing more of the town as it gets closer to completion - there's already plenty of little Easter Eggs, references and tributes in there that I look forward to people finding but there's still a lot of work to do so may be a while before I can share that!

In the meantime I will share the rolling stock in the next few days and maybe a few updates on Parlusiana itself as and when I feel areas are complete! :)

No railroad would be complete without rolling stock so let’s continue our look at the Parlusiana Lumber Company in nineteen thirty something:

Standard Gauge Lumber Wagons

7. PLC Lumber Wagons SG.jpg

The earliest wagons still in use by the Parlusiana Lumber Company are the lumber wagons down on the dock. These wagons are believed to date back to the earliest days of steam power on the docks and were built ‘in house’ although the wheels and frames are believed to have been bought from another company, no record of this transaction exists so the exact origins are unknown. These simple wagons are often used on their own or now, with the new Saddle Tanks, in pairs and make the short journey up and down the dock to transfer logs and lumber to waiting ships. PLC own four of these wagons and they remain in service to this day.

Narrow Gauge Lumber Wagons

6. PLC Lumber Wagons NG.jpg

Unfortunately, no pictures of the earliest lumber wagons exist, these were pulled up and down the valley by horses before being transferred on to ships waiting at the dock. Once steam power was brought to the line in 1874 the lumber wagons (seen at Port Parlusiana in this picture) were upgraded and four of this design were bought from the Kudovia Wagon Works. Built to carry three logs each the original locomotives could pull one loaded wagon at a time with others being loaded or unloaded at each end of the line whilst logs were in transit. As the locomotive stock grew so did the number of wagons (exact dates of purchases are unclear) and by the time the first Shays arrived in 1898 trains consisted of two wagons carrying six logs at a time down the valley. The newer generation of Shays (arriving from 1908 onwards) allowed for trains of up to four loaded wagons giving each train a capacity of twelve logs and necessitated further expansion of the wagon stocks. PLC remained loyal to the Kudovia design over the years and still use the same wagons, they have owned a total of twenty although some have been scrapped over the years when they were beyond repair.

Flat Wagons

8. PLC Flat Wagon.jpg

Flat wagons have always been seen on the PLC Railroad since the days of horses, the current examples are believed to date from the turn of the century and are based on Kudovia Wagon Works chassis which were then adapted in house. The company currently have three of these wagons used to move a wide range of loads around the port and up to Frontier Peak. PLC are still expanding and investing and have just taken delivery of a new boiler for the wood shop to replace the existing one which has been in use since the late 1800s, shown in this photograph on a flat wagon ready to be moved to its new home.

Goods Wagons

9. PLC Goods Wagon.jpg

When the PLC purchased the chassis for the flat wagons they also bought chassis to build these three plank goods wagons. The company didn’t build them all at once but by 1910 there were four in operation on the line and they are still in use to this day. Pictured are two three plank wagons sitting empty in a siding near to the port around 1915 but they are usually seen moving coal and other supplies up to Frontier Peak.

Box Cars

10. PLC Box Car.jpg

In 1923 PLC invested in three box cars for the line up to Frontier Peak. With operations expanding rapidly there was a need to transport more equipment and supplies up to the peak and also move and store sawn timber in the port and the CB Works box cars (on Kudovia chassis) ticked a lot of boxes (if you’ll pardon the pun!) Also at this point in time there were no official passenger cars taking workers up the valley so they began hitching these box cars on to the back of trains to take them up and down the line in relative comfort. This also improved safety as before this point the only way to get to Frontier Peak would be to climb up on a logging or goods train and hold on tight! The box cars are pictured here in a siding outside the drying sheds loaded up with sawn timber, ready to be transferred to road vehicles and on to construction projects elsewhere in the Plancovania region.

Passenger Wagons

11. PLC Passenger.jpg

By 1925 it was clear that, although travelling in the box cars offered a big improvement in safety and comfort, it was time to invest in some passenger wagons to bring workers to and from Frontier Point. PLC invested in six Kudovia chassis on which they built their own open passenger wagons and ran these as two rakes of three between Port Parlusiana and Frontier Point offering a regular, reliable and safe passenger service for their workers. As operations expanded even further the Penny Ferry began to operate bringing workers from across the Rose River and more workers than ever were able to travel in to Parlusiana via the trolley service so the PLC found they needed even more passenger capacity for their expanding workforce. In 1928 they purchased four more Kudovia chassis and built a further four identical passenger wagons allowing two rakes of five coaches to travel the pass at regular intervals. Around this time improvements were made to the stations at the port and at the peak including sheltered waiting rooms and raised platforms. In this recoloured photograph we see a rake of five wagons at the improved Port Parlusiana station, with the Shay in the headshunt it looks like this train has recently returned from Frontier Peak and is awaiting a locomotive for its return journey.

All the rolling stock can be found in this collection in my workshop:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2085893030

Hope you’ve enjoyed this look at the Parlusiana Lumber Company’s Locomotives and Rolling stock, there will be more to this story but I am just one man so make no promises as to when!

Thanks,

Matt

Terrific job on those different cars. I actually had to look twice at some of those pics to make sure you weren't cheating and putting up real photos!

Love the short wagons as well. Many old lumber companies used them as they could navigate very sharp turns. Very nicely done!

Thanks Citytrader - didn't go all out on the research but did try to look things up and use my personal knowledge/experience to try and keep things looking pretty true to life, glad it's paid off! :)

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
Little late to the party here, but wanted to drop in and say that I think the locomotives and rolling stock look fantastic. I also really enjoyed reading the background information you put together for everything. It really shows a dedication and passion to the work :) Thank you for sharing.

Thanks Jens Erik, they were a lot of fun to build and enjoyed putting together the story behind it all. There will be more to come from the town of Parlusiana... eventually! ;)

Top Bottom